The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 09:04am
Huck Finn

What has been the biggest things most of us have remembered/taken from camps so far this summer?

For me it is:

Re-enforced the fact that calling across the paint is a no-no unless 1) it is on the inside where the C can't see it or 2) it is a foul that must be called and the C hasn't called it (Leads whistle will be delayed)

Trail must work out on the floor more for better angles and must be involved more.

Center should work high-side and on the floor more to get better angles than being squared up on the sideline free-throw line extended. Moving one or two steps opposite the play will often help and moving low on drives to the basket is often useless.

John Clougherty is toying with a mechanic that will require massive communication and awareness. It will work but all three officials must be attentive to situations on the court.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
John Clougherty is toying with a mechanic that will require massive communication and awareness.
Details?
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 11:31am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
John Clougherty is toying with a mechanic that will require massive communication and awareness.
Details?
The trail needs to get on the court more (off of the sideline) to see plays. This will cause situations where a steal or turnover could cause the trail to get caught up in a group of players. If this happens and the C recognizes it the C will run down court and become the new lead, the old lead will cross the court becoming the new trail and the old trail will become the new C. I hope I explained it clearly. It will/can work if the crew is on the same page.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Details?
The trail needs to get on the court more (off of the sideline) to see plays. This will cause situations where a steal or turnover could cause the trail to get caught up in a group of players. If this happens and the C recognizes it the C will run down court and become the new lead, the old lead will cross the court becoming the new trail and the old trail will become the new C. I hope I explained it clearly. It will/can work if the crew is on the same page.
That's not really new, that is more a variation of the old 3 whistle. The old system kind of had L in the middle of the court with two C's or T's with lead adjusted going to new trail.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What has been the biggest things most of us have remembered/taken from camps so far this summer?

Last year, the state of Washington (using NFHS guidelines I believe) had the "wide-angle" position for the lead being almost out to the 3-point line. The college camps I know of have been teaching the wide-angle position to be closer to the old "2-window" (about half-way between the lane line and the 3-pt. line) this year. I'm going to a Washington HS camp this weekend and will be interested to hear if they have changed the wide-angle spot.

Z
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The trail needs to get on the court more (off of the sideline) to see plays. This will cause situations where a steal or turnover could cause the trail to get caught up in a group of players.

I've been taught this (and have attempted to use it) for the past three years or so. As a matter of fact, the director of the camp where I learned this refs in the . . . wait for it . . . SEC!

Quote:
If this happens and the C recognizes it the C will run down court and become the new lead, the old lead will cross the court becoming the new trail and the old trail will become the new C. I hope I explained it clearly. It will/can work if the crew is on the same page.
I dunno - I think you're better off adjusting the trail back a step or two when he/she goes out onto the court to prevent this from happening. Are people going to get trapped every once in a while? Yes. However, I think we should work on conditioning and beating the fast break - even if the old C swings to new L, the old T (now C) is still going to be trapped in a group of players.

The only time I've used a variable T/C system like this was on a camp game I worked where a guy had a bum knee from a previous game. (Frankly, he shouldn't have been working, but that's a different post.) If he was T, and there was a fast break, C was supposed to jet to lead, with T becoming C and L transitioning cross-court to T. It plain didn't work. It may with better communication and pre-gaming, but I don't think this is a necessary change.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Hello Folks, I'd delighted to have been introduced to this forum, and welcome your feedback. Although I've been offciciating awhile, this is my first introduction to this exchange. I've been impressed with some of the threads I've followed in familiarizing myself with this site.

It is interesting to see this mechanic John Clougherty is considering being discussed. In reality, the need for this mechanic can often be avoided if the Trail will release at a forty-five degree angle relative to the end line, thus escaping the traffic jam, and assume normal (new lead) coverage. In those cases when this release technique still results in the Trail becomeing enmeshed in the transition play, changing positions and having the C become the new Lead instead simply means that the former C get on his (or perhaps her) wheels and get in front of the play to officiate effectively.

In my opinion, it means that it isn't very complicated, merely that we have to be attentive and do the hussle ... which is what we are paid to do.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For me it is:

Re-enforced the fact that calling across the paint is a no-no unless 1) it is on the inside where the C can't see it or 2) it is a foul that must be called and the C hasn't called it (Leads whistle will be delayed)

Trail must work out on the floor more for better angles and must be involved more.

Center should work high-side and on the floor more to get better angles than being squared up on the sideline free-throw line extended. Moving one or two steps opposite the play will often help and moving low on drives to the basket is often useless.

John Clougherty is toying with a mechanic that will require massive communication and awareness. It will work but all three officials must be attentive to situations on the court.
For me it is:

- Staying in your primary area & only coming out of your area if your call will make the game better.

- Pregame, Pregame, Pregame - very important aspect of the game.

- working hard in trail & slot
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

For me it was:

- Walking through the drive

- Pinching the Paint

- understanding my primary but not being afraid to have a secondary whistle outside of it (ex. player goes up right in front of the L and I am at C, when this play is above the backboard have all the right in the world to go get it if there is a foul, but it better be a certainty play)

- Crew Dynamics

- Knowing when to make certainty and when to make a high certainty call.

- Understanding that you have to get fool the referee plays

- rotate on a player pause

- two sets of eyes plays

- message senders

- tempo calls

- validation of calls

Sorry I am young
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Sorry I am young
If you learned this, then don't go to that camp again. They should not be putting down anyone based on age at either end!

PS What does it mean to "walk through the drive"?!
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Since Tomegun mentioned it, I thought I would comment:

Working on the high side in the C. Especially when the play is right in front of you, and you have to decide which way to go.

I went to two camps, and heard two different philosophies.

At the Dale Kelley camp, they wanted us to go high in the C if the ball settled in front of us.

When I went to the D3 Supercamp, they instructed us that Hank Nichols himself has said he wants officials to go to the low side when the ball settles in front of the C.

It was quite a point of contention in both camps. Having done both, I choose go low. I'm not talking about a lot, just a step or two. The reason why is becuase the angle is better on the low side due to the angle of the players in relation to the basket. In the event that A1 drives towards the block to go to the basket, I can just take another step or two high to get a good angle on that play.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Some of the stuff we covered

Divide court into 3 "lanes"
- near sideline to near lane line extended - lane one.
- near lane line extended to far lane lne extended - lane two.
- far lane line extended to far sideline - lane three

Having said that:

If ball is coming into the FC from the BC in transition in lane 3 - New lead rotate even if the old lead hasnt crossed div line yet. In this case - old lead needs to be aware and bust it to C

Offense in front court - ball kicks over to lane 3 and defense is in a man, rotate even if it's a one on one over there. 95% chance a drive or a post man coming over for entry pass anyway.

If D is in zone, maybe wait until ball drops below FT line extended before you rotate.

But in all cases, find a reason to rotate. Two officials ball side.

Dont shoot across lane - The percentages I heard was you go from 90% correct to 50% calling out of primary.

Get out on the floor in T....WORK hard and fight for angles in T.

Try to Balance the Floor - Block down here, Block down there especially if it's a 50/50 call.

Let the defense block shots. We call too many fouls on what is really good D / incidental contact.

4 Prin of officiating....

1. Stay in your Primary (Esp Lead - dont shoot across the lane)
2. Call the Obvious.
3. Ref the D
4. Trust your partners

We watched a couple SEC tapes and I was amazed to hear even at that level.....STAY IN PRIMARY / CALL OBVIOUS / REF D / TRUST.

Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks

We watched a couple SEC tapes and I was amazed to hear even at that level.....STAY IN PRIMARY / CALL OBVIOUS / REF D / TRUST.

Wait for it....
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 04:44am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel

At the Dale Kelley camp, they wanted us to go high in the C if the ball settled in front of us.

When I went to the D3 Supercamp, they instructed us that Hank Nichols himself has said he wants officials to go to the low side when the ball settles in front of the C.

It was quite a point of contention in both camps. Having done both, I choose go low. I'm not talking about a lot, just a step or two. The reason why is becuase the angle is better on the low side due to the angle of the players in relation to the basket. In the event that A1 drives towards the block to go to the basket, I can just take another step or two high to get a good angle on that play.
It could be too late if you go low and then have to go high on a drive. I was also taught to go high or low depending on where the offensive player catches the ball around the arc. There will be times when one step low is appropriate but when a drive is happening you must get the proper angle to officiate the drive. That angle is NOT low in the majority of the plays that happen (never say never).

I would like to know what was taught about walking into the drive and pinching the paint. Closing down is a must all th e time but when plays occur being too close to plays at the lead cuts off vision. Again, we can never say never but a wider angle is often the best place to be for the best look at plays.

This is the sort of discussion I like because there really isn't something that is always right or wrong. Learning something that puts us one step in any direction whether a two or three person game could open up plays in a major way!
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Well, this has been interesting, because I look at it from the NCAA-W perspective. Many of the things mentioned so far are consistent between both men's and women's, and can also apply to HS. Things like staying in you primary, trusting your partners, rotating to be on ball-side more often, making sure the C and T have strong games, etc. Also, for us this year they are teaching the T does need to be able to step out on the court if necessary to get the angle between the players. And the C has more of an arc to work rather than just a step down or up. But, I'm not convinced about that mechanic on stepping out so far that there's a chance on being caught within a group of players, then having to do a rotation on the fly. I understand the logic on needing the old C to be the new L so there is an official at the other end. But, doesn't that involve the C and L doing a little more ball-watching? On normal rotations, when done correctly, you can be aware of where your partners are and still concentrate on your primary. On a turnover in the T's area, does that mean the L and C have to look over to see if the T did or did not get caught up in the players? If they do, then who's watching their areas? Also, if the T gets caught up in the middle of a group players, then they are obviously too close and cannot see everything in their primary. So, to me, that adds up to ALL 3 officials not watching their primaries for a short amount of time. Sounds scary to me.

(Used with permission.)