View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Well, this has been interesting, because I look at it from the NCAA-W perspective. Many of the things mentioned so far are consistent between both men's and women's, and can also apply to HS. Things like staying in you primary, trusting your partners, rotating to be on ball-side more often, making sure the C and T have strong games, etc. Also, for us this year they are teaching the T does need to be able to step out on the court if necessary to get the angle between the players. And the C has more of an arc to work rather than just a step down or up. But, I'm not convinced about that mechanic on stepping out so far that there's a chance on being caught within a group of players, then having to do a rotation on the fly. I understand the logic on needing the old C to be the new L so there is an official at the other end. But, doesn't that involve the C and L doing a little more ball-watching? On normal rotations, when done correctly, you can be aware of where your partners are and still concentrate on your primary. On a turnover in the T's area, does that mean the L and C have to look over to see if the T did or did not get caught up in the players? If they do, then who's watching their areas? Also, if the T gets caught up in the middle of a group players, then they are obviously too close and cannot see everything in their primary. So, to me, that adds up to ALL 3 officials not watching their primaries for a short amount of time. Sounds scary to me.

(Used with permission.)