View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

The trail needs to get on the court more (off of the sideline) to see plays. This will cause situations where a steal or turnover could cause the trail to get caught up in a group of players.

I've been taught this (and have attempted to use it) for the past three years or so. As a matter of fact, the director of the camp where I learned this refs in the . . . wait for it . . . SEC!

Quote:
If this happens and the C recognizes it the C will run down court and become the new lead, the old lead will cross the court becoming the new trail and the old trail will become the new C. I hope I explained it clearly. It will/can work if the crew is on the same page.
I dunno - I think you're better off adjusting the trail back a step or two when he/she goes out onto the court to prevent this from happening. Are people going to get trapped every once in a while? Yes. However, I think we should work on conditioning and beating the fast break - even if the old C swings to new L, the old T (now C) is still going to be trapped in a group of players.

The only time I've used a variable T/C system like this was on a camp game I worked where a guy had a bum knee from a previous game. (Frankly, he shouldn't have been working, but that's a different post.) If he was T, and there was a fast break, C was supposed to jet to lead, with T becoming C and L transitioning cross-court to T. It plain didn't work. It may with better communication and pre-gaming, but I don't think this is a necessary change.