Thread: IM Supervisor
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

There's a huge difference between a clinician coming onto the floor during a timeout in a camp setting, and a college-aged IM supervisor coming onto the floor during a game to act as judge, jury and executioner for a ref who missed a call. I have missed plays at camp, and I even kicked a rule at one once, but I've never experienced--personally or as a spectator--a clinician becoming actively involved in a game.

To the new IM supervisor, ask yourself this question: if you were an assignor/supervisor for a NFHS association, and you went to watch a middle school game with inexperienced referees, would you go out and change a call? Not unless you wanted a mutiny on your hands among all of your officials. Don't undermine your officials. If you do the best you can as a teacher and mentor, then that's it. IM basketball players are jerks (I experienced both sides of that in college), and they need to realize what a chore it is just to get games staffed, much less staffed with good officials.

Tell your guys that as long as they are on time and work hard, you'll do your best to help them, and you'll be there to back them up when the time comes. If they know you have their backs, they'll work harder and better for you, which will cost you fewer headaches in the long run.