The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

I am on the bandwagon with everyone else. Nothing positive can happen if you correct someone during a game. You may be able to talk to the officials during halftime to correct any mistakes that happened in the 1st half. I would never ever want my commish/supervisor to correct me during the game.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Ask your supervisor if they want you helping newer officials first. Your corrections might carry more weight if they come from the main boss. As far as correcting them during the game, I would never do it in front of anyone not affiliated with the IM officiating program and instead of telling someone they got it wrong, you might want to start with a question (What did you see? Why was this call made or not made?). Just my opinion of course.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
"Admonish thy friends in secret, praise them openly."
-- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

After all this wonderful feedback I have only one small idea for you to consider:

Expect Greatness ... You Just Might Be Surprised With What You Get In Return
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 05:33am
Huck Finn

I have a question that I must ask.

Who is Joe McCain?
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
That was my plan, I was just wondering if anyone had some experience doing this. We do have preseason training for these guys, but not as much as we should have. If they come to me for advice on a rule during a game, I will help, but that was all I was going to do. When I have corrected one of them before, it was on a rule, not a judgement call.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Re: What is that?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
What is an IM Supervisor?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I would hate it if I was working a game at a camp and a clinician came out during the game to correct a call or mechanic. I think I'd feel about 3" tall.
I have not been to camp where someone did not change a mechanic at some point. It might not have happen a lot, but at camp it is kind of a common occurrence.

Peace
I understand but they don't come out and change a call. Also, they will come out during time outs and between quarters or halves so it is expected that they will come out and give input but they won't change a call. Also, because they come out on the court regularly, nobody knows which or what call they might discuss. In the orig stitch, everyone would know exactly why he came on the court. I hope you see the difference.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 10:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: What is that?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

I understand but they don't come out and change a call. Also, they will come out during time outs and between quarters or halves so it is expected that they will come out and give input but they won't change a call. Also, because they come out on the court regularly, nobody knows which or what call they might discuss. In the orig stitch, everyone would know exactly why he came on the court. I hope you see the difference.
Are you sure about that? I have been to camps where certain calls were changed and mechanics right on the spot. Or the influence of the instructors changed the call all together.

I am not saying this should be done this way. I personally do not care what they do in an IM league. I am just stating that if someone is running the league wants to do this, if they feel it will help the officials on the floor that is their right. To me these are just IM games. I do not look at them in the same light as a summer league high school basketball game. The officials in most of these types of game usually are not the kind that will continue officiating after college. So if the supervisor feels he needs to step in on certain occasions that will be his right in my opinion. I do not know if I would ever do that, but we all have different administrative styles when we get in those kinds of positions.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

Who is Joe McCain?
Joe is just another basketball referee. Why do you ask?
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:02pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe McCain
Quote:

Who is Joe McCain?
Joe is just another basketball referee. Why do you ask?
Oh yeah? I'm a basketball referee and I don't know everything. So one of us is different from other referees.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I'm a basketball referee and I don't know everything. So one of us is different from other referees.
LMAO!
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 07:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
I would strongly urge you to hold a pre-season clinic and have your guys/girls all get on the same page. Perhaps you could contact your local association to see if you can hook up with a clinician. At the very least make it a point to evaluate their games and address shortcomings or offer praise where warranted AFTER THE GAMES or HALFTIME but never during the course of the action.

What he said.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
I have corrected these guys before, the best thing is doing it when you're playing in the game and not reffing.
__________________________________________________ _________

Should you get the urge to correct an official from the table RESIST THAT URGE. You can talk privately at halftime or after a game. If you do so during a game it's a lose - lose situation for you and the ref. I'm not yelling. For some reason this print just came out bold!