The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Wow! Its fun to have gotten such a charged respons from all of you. The feedback kinda proves my point for me though. (ie. See the whole play, patient whistle, advantage-disadvantage all conspire to help a mere mortal like me make a good call)

If you haven't seen this particular cheep foul ... stick around, you might. All of you guys have been right too, not much contact, yet it is difficult to make the layup. My initial experience with this foul was almost a mirror image of what Jurassic discribed. I missed the first one, and found myself wondering why the offensive play just kinda flailed around. The defender was all proud of himself for getting one past me. Nothin' "Ticky-Tack" about it.

Fortunately, I haven't seen if very often, but Man Oh Man if you ever do, you might want to get it right.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe McCain
Fortunately, I haven't seen if very often, but Man Oh Man if you ever do, you might want to get it right.
Thank you very much for that very informative and constructive tip. I'm sure I'll have a much better season of 6th grade girls games.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Thank you very much for that very informative and constructive tip. I'm sure I'll have a much better season of 6th grade girls games.
You made it to 6th grade girls games?

Cool! Maybe if I start calling this foul I'll make it there too!

Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Wow! Its fun to have gotten such a charged respons from all of you. The feedback kinda proves my point for me though. (ie. See the whole play, patient whistle, advantage-disadvantage all conspire to help a mere mortal like me make a good call)

If you haven't seen this particular cheep foul ... stick around, you might. All of you guys have been right too, not much contact, yet it is difficult to make the layup. My initial experience with this foul was almost a mirror image of what Jurassic discribed. I missed the first one, and found myself wondering why the offensive play just kinda flailed around. The defender was all proud of himself for getting one past me. Nothin' "Ticky-Tack" about it.

Well, if I'm ever that lucky that I'm able to stick around long enough to attain your vast amount of experience and knowledge, Joe, hopefully then I will be able to get that call right-- just like you. Until then, I can only dream......

Lah me.

Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Thank you very much for that very informative and constructive tip. I'm sure I'll have a much better season of 6th grade girls games. [/B][/QUOTE]

Rainmaker, thank you for the laugh! From the jist of your posts here, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that you are a D1 official somewhere. I appreciate being given a chance to stop taking myself so seriously.

The reality for me is that I find six grades girls games VERY difficult to call. I never quite know what I should be calling in that type of game.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:55am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The "pro" move is a quick jab or tap to the elbow of the shooting arm or a quick nudge to the hip of a jumpshooter
Right, and I'll call that every time, b/c that bump on the elbow really does affect the flight of the ball. The poke to the belly doesn't, as far as I can tell.
I've seen some players that were absolutely great with the elbow tap. I remember saying to one guy years ago sumthin' like " You got me that time but you won't get me again". He laughed and replied "you wanna bet?". Next half, I got a shooter in my primary screaming at me because his jumpshot just ended up amongst the cheerleaders, and this clown of a defender is smirking at me and whispering "told you so". Not much I could do but grit my teeth and mutter under my breath. I knew he did it but I didn't see it- so I couldn't call it. At least he whispered it to me after he did it instead of laughing out loud at me.
Tisk, Tisk

Get a good angle to see through the play.
Follow the shooter all the way up and all the way down.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:58am
Huck Finn

Quote:

Rainmaker, thank you for the laugh! From the jist of your posts here, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that you are a D1 official somewhere. I appreciate being given a chance to stop taking myself so seriously.

The reality for me is that I find six grades girls games VERY difficult to call. I never quite know what I should be calling in that type of game. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, you up there on that pedestal.

You mind telling us down here:

Who you are
What part of the country you are from
What level you work
How long you've been officiating
Do you always make this kind of entrance
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
If you haven't seen this particular cheep foul ... stick around, you might. All of you guys have been right too, not much contact, yet it is difficult to make the layup.

Joe, what we're telling you is that we've all seen this cheap foul. But most of us don't think it's worth calling. It's not difficult to finish the shot or lay-up most of the time, with a minor tap to the belly. It doesn't really put the shooter at any disadvantage, so most of us (viz., everybody except you, apparently) let it go.

Quote:
You're taking a boatload of crap from people on the forum, Joe. And this kind of comment is the reason. Tone down your act a little. Whether you realize it or not, you're coming across as a know-it-all, and a pretty obnoxious one.

So if we've gotten the wrong impression of you, stick around and make constructive posts without the condescending tone. If you really are "an insufferable know-it-all" (as Professor Snape would say), then do everyone a favor and move on to McGriff's.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Maybe we'll be doing these on Sunday, Dan. BTW, I'm leaving tonight to make sure I get there on time
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe we'll be doing these on Sunday, Dan. BTW, I'm leaving tonight to make sure I get there on time
Unless you're going by time machine you'll be late.

Camp was last Sunday.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 01:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe we'll be doing these on Sunday, Dan. BTW, I'm leaving tonight to make sure I get there on time [/B]

Camp was last Sunday. [/B][/QUOTE]Oh my.....

No problem, Chuck. I just called Peabody. He's on the way with his Wayback Machine.

You're welcome......
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Camp was last Sunday.
Where's that smiley giving the finger. . . ?
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Camp was last Sunday.
Where's that smiley giving the finger. . . ?

Hmmmm....looks like after 3 times that one doesn't work anymore.

See you Sunday.