The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have heard some people claim that it's most professional to call players by number and coaches Coach. I have heard some people say they get better results by calling players by name. I have heard people say that it can help build a rapport with coaches to call them by name.

How do you feel about addressing coaches and players by name?

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Jul 19th, 2005 at 09:45 PM]
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I have heard some people claim that it's most professional to call players by number and coaches Coach. I have heard some people say they get better results by calling players by name. I have heard people say that it can help build a rapport with coaches to call them by name.

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Jul 19th, 2005 at 09:45 PM]
I've never seen a ref get in trouble by referring to a player by number or to a coach as "coach." I have seen problems arise when refs cross that line of professionalism and give the appearance of being too chummy with a coach or player.

Personally, I'm just not comfortable calling a coach by his/her name during a game. We have all seen the opposing coach who is just looking for an excuse to cry favoritism. I have seen other officials call coaches or players by name and it hasn't generally led to a problem. However, I have also seen the exception where it led to problems.

Z

Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 07:40am
M.A.S.H.

I agree, calling a coach by his/her name is only going to create problems with the other coach. Probably the other coach questioning your integrity which only leads to a whacking.

Besides, I have a hard enough time remembering the names of my partners, let alone the two coaches names!
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

I have a very respected referee mentor who calls coaches by name. He makes a point to address each coach at least once per game, to get rid of the favoritism thing. His theory is: I'm at work...If this was an office setting, I wouldn't say "Mr. Supervisor," I'd say "Hey, Joe.." He says it leads to peers talking to each other, rather than the "Coach-Referee" confrontation.

I say good for him, but no way am I at that confidence level to do it yet.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

What about coaches who call officials by name? Is that professional? Also fans who you know off the court calling the official by name?
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

You know, I had a coach ask about a foul...and he used my name. He said something like "Frank, you sure he got him on the arm?" and you know, it did sound a lot better than, "Ref, you blew that one!"

As I mentioned earlier, my mentor thinks using names leads to more of a person-to-person discussion, rather than the coach-referee confrontation.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I remember a game where a coach was yelling to one of his players; "Chris, set a damn screen or you're gonna sit over here by me". Well, I knew I didn't want to sit by him so I set a screen. Boy did I get in trouble with the other coach and ever since then I prefer to have coaches refer to me as "Ref".

On a serious note, for me, it's ok to refer to them BOTH by name in the coaches/captains meeting is ok but during the game I usually don't remember names and rarely do I remember both names so I just always go with coach. The only way I would know players names is if they are on their jerseys.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 09:50am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

They have names??!!!??? I usually refer to them as "Hey you".
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I remember a game where a coach was yelling to one of his players; "Chris, set a damn screen or you're gonna sit over here by me". Well, I knew I didn't want to sit by him so I set a screen. Boy did I get in trouble with the other coach and ever since then I prefer to have coaches refer to me as "Ref".
Doggone it, now I've got to get the coffee wiped off the screen!
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Doggone it, now I've got to get the coffee wiped off the screen!
What time is it where you are? It's 11AM here in the MidWest and I've long since moved past coffee.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
I tend to be a pretty formal person, so I always adress coaches as "coach," and players by number. Not to mention the fact that I often don't know or don't remember the first name of the coach. Although, I always introduce myself to the players by first name, but I ask them to refer to me as either "Mr. Rothamel," or "Mr. Ref," or "Sir." To me, it is a respect thing.

I heard recently retired NBA referee Nolan Fine speak at a camp, and he said that NBA referees and coaches always address eachother by first name. I found that intresting.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If I know both coaches fairly well, then I call them both by their first names. It doesn't have anything to do with professionalism. We all know each other, it's silly to pretend we don't.

If I'm unfamiliar with one (or both) of the coaches, then I address them both by "Coach". I don't want Coach A to think I'm screwing him b/c I'm buddying up to Coach B by calling him by his first name.

And Chris, Juulie's out on the left coast, so she's still sipping coffee while you're getting hunger-pangs for lunch.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
I tend to be a pretty formal person, so I always adress coaches as "coach," and players by number. Not to mention the fact that I often don't know or don't remember the first name of the coach. Although, I always introduce myself to the players by first name, but I ask them to refer to me as either "Mr. Rothamel," or "Mr. Ref," or "Sir." To me, it is a respect thing.

I heard recently retired NBA referee Nolan Fine speak at a camp, and he said that NBA referees and coaches always address eachother by first name. I found that intresting.
Actually, it doesn't surprise me that NBA refs and coaches refer to each other by their first names. The job analogy absolutely fits here - I call my fellow workers, my boss, and even the chairman of the board by their first names, so why shouldn't the guy in the "Chicago Bulls" department call the guy in the "Referee" department by their name? They all work for the same company, the NBA. In our case, I agree with Chuck - if we know someone well enough to call them by name, why shouldn't we? If you work in a league or conference long enough, you will get to know the coaches pretty well. However, if I only know one coach's name and not the other, I will call them both "coach". Using that same logic, since I don't know all the players' names, I will call them all by number, so there's no hint of favoritism.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I don't like it when coaches call me by name. Not only does it kind of show favoritism towards the coach, but mainly when a coach yells "Hey Brian" I assume he's talking to his player, especially in a boys game, and I ignore him, then I really get in trouble.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 01:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Coaches usually refer to me as "Your Eminence".

Yeah....suuuuuuuure.