View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
I tend to be a pretty formal person, so I always adress coaches as "coach," and players by number. Not to mention the fact that I often don't know or don't remember the first name of the coach. Although, I always introduce myself to the players by first name, but I ask them to refer to me as either "Mr. Rothamel," or "Mr. Ref," or "Sir." To me, it is a respect thing.

I heard recently retired NBA referee Nolan Fine speak at a camp, and he said that NBA referees and coaches always address eachother by first name. I found that intresting.
Actually, it doesn't surprise me that NBA refs and coaches refer to each other by their first names. The job analogy absolutely fits here - I call my fellow workers, my boss, and even the chairman of the board by their first names, so why shouldn't the guy in the "Chicago Bulls" department call the guy in the "Referee" department by their name? They all work for the same company, the NBA. In our case, I agree with Chuck - if we know someone well enough to call them by name, why shouldn't we? If you work in a league or conference long enough, you will get to know the coaches pretty well. However, if I only know one coach's name and not the other, I will call them both "coach". Using that same logic, since I don't know all the players' names, I will call them all by number, so there's no hint of favoritism.

(Used with permission.)