The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone's board require a phsycial or a release from a physician to officiate?
Does anyone's board require CPR training to officiat?
Here's my reasons.
1. The game is much faster,players as well as the intro of the shot clock from highschool and up. In most areas there are only two officials doing highschool games and the officials are 2-4x older than the players. And unless they are anal like myself, they are probably an accident waiting to happen. I lift 5-7 days a week, run or bike 5 days as well. At 45 I have started having an annual stress test and blood work.
2. The other nite while playing full court with 9 other guys after the first game one of the guys, 48yrs old maybe
15-20lbs overweight, dropped over and died right on the court.Massive heart attack. One of the guys administered CPR until the EMT's arrived. They shocked him 3 times and then took him away saying he had a weak pulse.
I have approached my pres. and it will be suggested at our first meeting in the fall.
The CPR is not for us to administer to a player, rather you might find yourself in the locker or in the car and your partner may go down.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I think it's a godd idea for anyone to take CPR training. I don't know that it should be required.

Just a note - We get older every year but the players don't.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Thumbs up good CPR website

This is a good site to learn/refresh your CPR skills. It has areas from infant to adult.

Take a look at it. It may save a life someday.

http://www.amherst.edu/~jaloduca/cpr.html
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 06:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

CPR or not.......

I would stay away from trying to perform it on any player in a game. Not saying that you should never try to save a person's life, but if you try and fail, you open yourself up for liability. Remember Hank Gathers. His family sued almost every doctor in the house that tried to help and the ones that did not help. If you were a doctor somewhere around, they got sued.

Just something to think about.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Our commissioner recommends a physical every year, but we don't have to get a note from our doctor!!
Old Sun Apr 08, 2001, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by chels
Does anyone's board require a phsycial or a release from a physician to officiate?
Does anyone's board require CPR training to officiat?
Here's my reasons.
1. The game is much faster,players as well as the intro of the shot clock from highschool and up. In most areas there are only two officials doing highschool games and the officials are 2-4x older than the players. And unless they are anal like myself, they are probably an accident waiting to happen. I lift 5-7 days a week, run or bike 5 days as well. At 45 I have started having an annual stress test and blood work.
2. The other nite while playing full court with 9 other guys after the first game one of the guys, 48yrs old maybe
15-20lbs overweight, dropped over and died right on the court.Massive heart attack. One of the guys administered CPR until the EMT's arrived. They shocked him 3 times and then took him away saying he had a weak pulse.
I have approached my pres. and it will be suggested at our first meeting in the fall.
The CPR is not for us to administer to a player, rather you might find yourself in the locker or in the car and your partner may go down.
Some thoughts:

My association encourages physical exams but doesn't require
them. Unless you know what you're doing and can prove it
in court you should only offer comfort and make sure an
ambulance has been called if (God forbid) anyone goes
down during a game, be it a partner, a coach or a player.
If you have an opportunity to take a CPR course do so.

Not for nothin', but if you're lifting 5-7 days a week
you're going way too light, or you're taking stuff you
shouldn't be taking.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

I'm not trying to play football. Light weight/high reps.
Helps with long distance running/riding. At least for me it does.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chels
I'm not trying to play football. Light weight/high reps.
Helps with long distance running/riding. At least for me it does.
If it helps then you're doing the right thing!
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: CPR or not.......

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I would stay away from trying to perform it on any player in a game. Not saying that you should never try to save a person's life, but if you try and fail, you open yourself up for liability. Remember Hank Gathers. His family sued almost every doctor in the house that tried to help and the ones that did not help. If you were a doctor somewhere around, they got sued.

CPR should not be confused with 1st aid on sprains and such. If a player twists and ankle or gets busted open you are right to leave them alone. However, most if not all states has a good samaritan law, so that if you are properly licensed in CPR, and administer it in a proper manner, you cannot be sued. This is to prevent people from feeling inhibited to help in emergency situations.

This is where the Lawyers need to help answer...in fact if you are certified in CPR and you don't help you might get sued.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: CPR or not.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
CPR should not be confused with 1st aid on sprains and such. If a player twists and ankle or gets busted open you are right to leave them alone. However, most if not all states has a good samaritan law, so that if you are properly licensed in CPR, and administer it in a proper manner, you cannot be sued. This is to prevent people from feeling inhibited to help in emergency situations.

This is where the Lawyers need to help answer...in fact if you are certified in CPR and you don't help you might get sued.
[/B]

As I said, if you as an official try to get involved in a situation to save someone, whether it be because they are possibily dying or just broke a limb, you open yourself up for litigation if something goes wrong. I am not saying not to help people in need, I am just telling you to be careful. Especially, if it happens to one of the participants. If it happens to another official and you try to save your partner's life, I would hope that no official would sue another official or their family because an official tried to save their life.

During this past football season. A kid got his neck broken during a football game. One of the officials happens to be a lawyer that was doing the game that this kid got hurt at. He told my association that as officials we should do nothing. Because if we do, we are opening ourselves for problems later down the line. And he even said that it would not surprise him in a couple of years if a lawyer was at his front door trying to ask him questions about this situation.

Do not get me wrong, I think helping people is a very good thing. But as it relates to injuries and and the playing field, you need to be aware as officials, we can get in trouble for many things. Even if we call something, an actions of another player can be precieved as us letting things go, and that is if we make a call. It is sad that we have to think this way, but we are in a very litigous society right now and we should always be aware of or responibilities and the consequences being in the role that we are.

Peace.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

I understand your point but there is a clear distinction between adminstering CPR and all other situations. If your state has the good samaritan law, you cannot be sued if your certification is up-to-date, and you adminsiter CPR.

Wicked things happen to people when CPR is adminsistered, the side affects are known going in, that is why you cannot be sued. I think it is also why they gloss over them in class.

Your association lawyer is right if it is anything other than a heart attack, I am keeping people away and doing nothing. But when you need to give CPR the ballgame changes, and there are laws there to protect you.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: Re: CPR or not.......

Quote:
Quote:

That is correct about the Good Samaritan Law. I am a medic (and a ref). The only thing one can get sued for (in my understanding) is negligence. If you honestly know what you are doing and it is a matter of life and death I strongly persuade you to save the life. You can always say, "coach, it's just a game" whereas, I personally couldn't say to the mother... I didn't want to save your son's/daughter's life for I was afraid of getting sued.

Let's just think about our priorities for one second. I personally this year have called and assisted the ambulance/ER five times for serious injury's.

Just a thought...

My two sense!
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: CPR or not.......

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Quote:

That is correct about the Good Samaritan Law. I am a medic (and a ref). The only thing one can get sued for (in my understanding) is negligence. If you honestly know what you are doing and it is a matter of life and death I strongly persuade you to save the life. You can always say, "coach, it's just a game" whereas, I personally couldn't say to the mother... I didn't want to save your son's/daughter's life for I was afraid of getting sued.

Let's just think about our priorities for one second. I personally this year have called and assisted the ambulance/ER five times for serious injury's.

Just a thought...

I understand what you're saying but let's be careful.
The good samaritan laws vary from state to state, I believe.
As I said before it's best to do nothing unless you
know what you're doing & can prove it in court. You
obviously are well trained and qualified to assist. I,
on the other hand, wouldn't know a heart attack from a
hangnail and would just get in the way. When I see someone
get hurt I offer comfort until someone with training arrives
then I disappear.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Thumbs up

I agree with you totally...

My two sense!
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 10:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Leave it alone

I am just saying that the lawyer that is an official, adviced the association that I belong to, not to get involved, even if you have training. Like a peramedic or doctor. He even told a guy in those professions to understand that they open themselves up for litigation. And the fact that they are officials, makes them even more open for problems. He even told us that there were lawyers giving classes on what to do to sue sports officials. So just be careful.