Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: CPR or not.......

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I would stay away from trying to perform it on any player in a game. Not saying that you should never try to save a person's life, but if you try and fail, you open yourself up for liability. Remember Hank Gathers. His family sued almost every doctor in the house that tried to help and the ones that did not help. If you were a doctor somewhere around, they got sued.

Just something to think about.
CPR should not be confused with 1st aid on sprains and such. If a player twists and ankle or gets busted open you are right to leave them alone. However, most if not all states has a good samaritan law, so that if you are properly licensed in CPR, and administer it in a proper manner, you cannot be sued. This is to prevent people from feeling inhibited to help in emergency situations.

This is where the Lawyers need to help answer...in fact if you are certified in CPR and you don't help you might get sued.
That is correct about the Good Samaritan Law. I am a medic (and a ref). The only thing one can get sued for (in my understanding) is negligence. If you honestly know what you are doing and it is a matter of life and death I strongly persuade you to save the life. You can always say, "coach, it's just a game" whereas, I personally couldn't say to the mother... I didn't want to save your son's/daughter's life for I was afraid of getting sued.

Let's just think about our priorities for one second. I personally this year have called and assisted the ambulance/ER five times for serious injury's.

Just a thought...

I understand what you're saying but let's be careful.
The good samaritan laws vary from state to state, I believe.
As I said before it's best to do nothing unless you
know what you're doing & can prove it in court. You
obviously are well trained and qualified to assist. I,
on the other hand, wouldn't know a heart attack from a
hangnail and would just get in the way. When I see someone
get hurt I offer comfort until someone with training arrives
then I disappear.