Thread: My first camp
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know the format of your camp, so some of this stuff may not apply, but here's what I would recommend. I'm also going to assume this camp is for being seen by college supervisors.

If its a several day camp and you breakfast is offered (say in the cafeteria), be there. Call it silly if you want, but there are some supervisors who want to know who's disciplined enough to be up and ready in situations where you don't have to be. The camps I went to, maybe half the guys showed up for breakfast, but the supervisor was there every morning and so was I.

Be on time to everything. They don't want to hear about you being held up, just be there.

Be seen and not heard. Depending on your format, you will have some down time between your assignments and other activities. Go sit next to one of the game evaluators and listen to their critiques of the other officials. Ask questions during dead balls, but don't ask question just to ask. IF YOU ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER, DON'T ASK IN AN ATTEMPT TO SHOW HOW SMART OR HOW AWARE YOU ARE. These guys are probably among the best in the world at detecting the slightest amount of BS. If you are really young (i.e. 22 and under) you might get away with it. Over 25, you won't.

Incidentally, if you are young (under 25), do everything you can to emphasize your maturity. Dress conservatively, even if casual. And don't drink too much (alcohol) at any social or any late night dorm bull session.

Finally, talk to the camp directors about things that have nothing to do with basketball. Find out about them, where they work, their families, and other Dale Carnegie type stuff (read "How to Win Friends..." if you haven't already).