The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to play devil's advocate for the moment. Can anyone quote one case where a high school sports official sexually molested a player? I'm trying to understand how that would work with 1000 people packed into the gym watching. Maybe he sneaks into the locker room after the game and rapes the star center. It would seem to me that a fan in the stands would have more opportunity to molest a player than an official. Do all of the fans have to have a background check before buying a ticket to the gym? Do we have background checks before anyone can enter school property.

To repeat my initial request. Name a case where a high school sports official sexually molested a player.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Might be more worried of comments made by some official who may be a sex offender.

My thought on the Florida stuff is they haven't decided what to do about the checks yet but when they do I hope the system isn't as screwed up as the voting in 2000 was.

http://www.gopfun.com/2000archives/ballot.htm

Try voting for anybody but Gore
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 03:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex

My thought on the Florida stuff is they haven't decided what to do about the checks yet but when they do I hope the system isn't as screwed up as the voting in 2000 was.

Not to worry. Florida has a new system:

Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Some of the problems with the new law is that there is no control stated in the law. ie who holds the checks or who pays.

We do have legal opinions that say the school boards have to pay which they cannot afford.
We as an association cannot run the checks and then "assure" the school boards because of constraints within the law.

The cost is not even been agreed upon. I have heard and read numbers between 47 and 100 but nobody can actually point to any one thing and say, "It costs X dollars"

Under the law, the check must be done with the FDLE and then the FBI to reach a level 2 clearance.

From what I have been told about other states, and I believe the FHSAA staff, no one knows of another state that has officials that have to meet these restrictions.

Let me quote this applicable part to you,
"The security background investigations under this section must ensure that no persons subject to the provisions of this section have
been found guilty of, regardless of adjudication, or entered a plea of nolo contendere or guilty to,
any offense prohibited under any of the following provisions of the Florida Statutes or under any similar statute of another jurisdiction:"

Take a look at the disqualifiers, most don't even deal with kids or sex.

(a) Section 393.135, relating to sexual misconduct with certain developmentally disabled clients and reporting of such sexual misconduct.
(b) Section 394.4593, relating to sexual misconduct with certain mental health patients and reporting of such sexual misconduct.
(c) Section 415.111, relating to adult abuse, neglect, or exploitation of aged persons or disabled adults.
(d) Section 782.04, relating to murder.
(e) Section 782.07, relating to manslaughter, aggravated manslaughter of an elderly person or disabled adult, or aggravated manslaughter of a child.
(f) Section 782.071, relating to vehicular homicide.
(g) Section 782.09, relating to killing of an unborn child by injury to the mother.
(h) Section 784.011, relating to assault, if the victim of the offense was a minor.
(i) Section 784.021, relating to aggravated assault.
(j) Section 784.03, relating to battery, if the victim of the offense was a minor.
(k) Section 784.045, relating to aggravated battery.
(l) Section 784.075, relating to battery on a detention or commitment facility staff.
(m) Section 787.01, relating to kidnapping.
(n) Section 787.02, relating to false imprisonment.
(o) Section 787.04(2), relating to taking, enticing, or removing a child beyond the state limits with criminal intent pending custody proceedings.
(p) Section 787.04(3), relating to carrying a child beyond the state lines with criminal intent to avoid producing a child at a custody hearing or delivering the child to the designated person.
(q) Section 790.115(1), relating to exhibiting firearms or weapons within 1,000 feet of a school.
(r) Section 790.115(2)(b), relating to possessing an electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon on school property.
(s) Section 794.011, relating to sexual battery.
(t) Former s. 794.041, relating to prohibited acts of persons in familial or custodial authority.
(u) Chapter 796, relating to prostitution.
(v) Section 798.02, relating to lewd and lascivious behavior.
(w) Chapter 800, relating to lewdness and indecent exposure.
(x) Section 806.01, relating to arson.
(y) Chapter 812, relating to theft, robbery, and related crimes, if the offense is a felony.
(z) Section 817.563, relating to fraudulent sale of controlled substances, only if the offense was a felony.
(aa) Section 825.102, relating to abuse, aggravated abuse, or neglect of an elderly person or disabled adult.
(bb) Section 825.1025, relating to lewd or lascivious offenses committed upon or in the presence of an elderly person or disabled adult.
(cc) Section 825.103, relating to exploitation of an elderly person or disabled adult, if the offense was a felony.
(dd) Section 826.04, relating to incest.
(ee) Section 827.03, relating to child abuse, aggravated child abuse, or neglect of a child.
(ff) Section 827.04, relating to contributing to the delinquency or dependency of a child.
(gg) Former s. 827.05, relating to negligent treatment of children.
(hh) Section 827.071, relating to sexual performance by a child.
(ii) Section 843.01, relating to resisting arrest with violence.
(jj) Section 843.025, relating to depriving a law enforcement, correctional, or correctional probation officer means of protection or communication.
(kk) Section 843.12, relating to aiding in an escape.
(ll) Section 843.13, relating to aiding in the escape of juvenile inmates in correctional institutions.
(mm) Chapter 847, relating to obscene literature.
(nn) Section 874.05(1), relating to encouraging or recruiting another to join a criminal gang.
(oo) Chapter 893, relating to drug abuse prevention and control, only if the offense was a felony or if any other person involved in the offense was a minor.
(pp) Section 916.0175, relating to sexual misconduct with certain forensic clients and reporting of such sexual misconduct.
(qq) Section 944.35(3), relating to inflicting cruel or inhuman treatment on an inmate resulting in great bodily harm.
(rr) Section 944.46, relating to harboring, concealing, or aiding an escaped prisoner.
(ss) Section 944.47, relating to introduction of contraband into a correctional facility.
(tt) Section 985.4045, relating to sexual misconduct in juvenile justice programs.
(uu) Section 985.4046, relating to contraband introduced into detention facilities.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex

Not to worry. Florida has a new system:

The new system aint gonna work.

They show the circle as being black, but the crayon is red.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Wouldnt it make sense for the assoc. to process a bg check ONCE and then not assign that official, or instate that person for officiating?

Under the law, we as an association cannot run the checks
It has to be done by the school board (one per county) AND because of the wording of the law, we have to get one for each county.

That is another reason we are raising a fuss over it.

All of this areas legislators are involved as well as the media in the Tampa area.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 06:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Well, THIS guy won't be getting many games...http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/12016640.htm
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 07:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
Well, THIS guy won't be getting many games...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/12016640.htm

Post fixed above so that the link works.

I'm sorry that I fixed it after I read it. From below an outhouse seat? Shudder!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jun 29th, 2005 at 08:09 PM]
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 07:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Thanks for the fix. The guy is NOT going from the outhouse to the penthouse. The story is on yahoo as the link may require registration. Many of those are chemical jobs along that highway.

You can enter nh peeping tom outhouse or something like that.

[Edited by 26 Year Gap on Jun 29th, 2005 at 08:30 PM]
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have to register to see that article, can anyone give another link o post?
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 07:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

go to yahoo or google & enter "nh peeping tom outhouse" in the 'news' section.

Here's the story....yuck!

ALBANY, N.H. (AHN) - A teenage girl went to use the bathroom and found the something toilet looking back at her.

Police pulled 45-year old Gary Moody from a tank under the toilet of log cabin outhouse off the Kancamagas Highway in Albany - the tank and the man was full of human waste.

According to police, they got a call from the parents of a teenage girl who said when she went to use the facilities, she saw Moody's face staring back at her from the hole.

Moody was hosed off before police cuffed him, reporting he was treated like "hazardous material."

Police reportedly don't know how long Moody was in the tank, but because the door was locked, authorities figure he must have gone in through the toilet.

Moody is charged with criminal trespass and could face more charges. He is out on bail and due back in court next month.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

They were talking about that story this morning on the radio but I figured it was just a bunch of crap.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 08:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Well, we know what he has for brains.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

As for Florida requiring county by county checks...maybe some really bright Floridian will discover there are these things called "computers" which can be attached with "wires" so they can "share information" from county to county.
Don't count on it, Dan - this is the state where elderly Jewish ladies who were life-long Democrats somehow decided to vote for Pat Buchannan . . .