Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
Zebraman,
I appreciate your insinuation that I am chicken little (insert the sarcasm here)

I posted the message to point out how things affect us.
If our schools end up having to foot this bill for backgournd check it will be a disaster for scholastic athletics.

We have been assured that if the schools have to pay, then athletics will cesae to exist in the 10th largest school district in the nation.

Not good,
nor is it good for the athletes who are trying to get to college on athletic scholarships etc.

This all stems from a guy who kidnapped and killed a child who lived across the road from him

Not from a school, nor was he a teacher, volunteer, or sports official.

Our legislature used a sledgehammer to kill a gnat.

Hopefully, when you guys have to face this issue you can speak to what we are experiencing so that your schools don't suffer the same turmoil
I'm not sure, Dan. I know that our background check in Oregon is state-level only, and we don't have to get a different one for each county in which we work, so we're not paying nearly as much. We also only pay for one per year, regardless of how many sports we work, so if a person works two or three sports, it only adds $15 or $20 to whatever fees the association charges for membership. If we had to add $60 or more to our membership fees, it would be a substantial raise in cost, and a detriment to good reffing in Portland. And if anyone else had to foot this bill, it would be a huge detriment to high school sports in Portland. I think Scott has a point that the Florida legislature is shooting a sparrow with a howitzer.

[Edited by Brad on Jun 30th, 2005 at 01:56 PM]