View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Wow, feeling curmudgeonly today, Dan?

I think Scott's point is that it won't be just $60, it will be substantially higher, and that no one quite knows how high. and that there will be many refs who won't pay it. and that schools won't want to absorb the increased cost for refs, since this bill gives them a number of other background check costs.

I think Scott's point is that this bill was an over-reaction and is going to cause problems for Florida refs. I think we can afford to notice the problem, and wonder if our states will over-react, too. Got no sympathy at all for that, Dan?
It sounds like there is a lot of speculation. Has the system been put in place yet? Has it been decided who is going to pay and how the information is going to be shared? I would assume that some consideration is going to be made for officials based on the current structure of officiating. I would seriously doubt that a law would be put in place that would totally rock the normal practices and have individual officials pay thousands of dollars to get a background check to make only a few hundred dollars. Until Scott has more information, I think his concerns might be an over-reaction to what will really happen. If that concern is a strong concern, I am sure he could talk to a State Senator or some school officials to voice his concern. Until all that happens, we are just speculating at this time.

Peace