The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 01:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Has anyone attended a summer camp this year? And how has the implementation of the new rules gone for you? Or are you not working with them because it is in between seasons? Just curious as I am going to a couple of them this summer.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Haven't been to camp yet. But our local summer league is not using the new rules, which I think is a mistake. But they don't ask me for my opinion.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Only had team control come up a couple of times and we sold it with, "Team control no shots," and never had a problem.

Had one double foul and it was the same way. I said, "Rule change it's POI, now," with not a single question.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 04:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have worked only one camp where we used the new rules. I have worked several summer leagues and no one used the rules.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

In every league I've worked in I have used the new rules, they have come up but not too many times. I have had the double foul and offensive foul come up, have not had the OOB violation yet.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
In every league I've worked in I have used the new rules, they have come up but not too many times. I have had the double foul and offensive foul come up, have not had the OOB violation yet.
Ditto. Also, I haven't given a T yet to any of the many players who have changed their shirts "within the visual confines of the playing area." I just can't accept that one.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 07:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
The camps I am going to are team camps...both girls...so I hope there are not any budding Brandi Chastains.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Went to two camps, with one more pending, and all have applied the new rules. Haven't had any problems with the Team control issue, got questioned on the double foul POI. after quickly explaining, played on without further incident.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
The camps I am going to are team camps...both girls...so I hope there are not any budding Brandi Chastains.
Brandi Chastain showed her bra. Big deal. There's less modesty and more exposure in the hallways of most schools. I really disagree with this rule, and I'm waiting to see how our association decides to enforce it.

which brings me to another aspect of it... In a game I did the other day, a player pulled her jersey up over her face for a moment, but she had a t-shirt underneath which did not get pulled up, and she attracted no attention to herself at all. It was just a private moment of frustration with herself. Is that within the rule to call, or not?
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
which brings me to another aspect of it... In a game I did the other day, a player pulled her jersey up over her face for a moment, but she had a t-shirt underneath which did not get pulled up, and she attracted no attention to herself at all. It was just a private moment of frustration with herself. Is that within the rule to call, or not?
The way I've had the rule explained to me - yes, it is a T. Are you sure it was frustration with only herself, or could she have been "yelling" at you or your partners under cover of her jersey? I do that - I'll go home and yell into my pillow instead of yelling back at the coach. (My wife already thinks I'm nuts because I walk around the house on my heels, but that's another story...) Now, on a practical note, if I know for certain it was only for herself, and not done out in the middle of the floor for all to see, then I probably didn't see it happen; similar to how I would handle profanity. But it will be interesting to see how this is handled on a local association level, as well as the state level. I know we have been told in IL removing the jersey on the bench, to change it due to blood, is a T. I've already been told by several officials they will never "see" it, and therefore not call it.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I happen to like Brandi Chastain and her choice of tops!
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
[B]
Quote:
I don't think the rule is meant to address that situation, Juules. It addresses taking the shirt off, not pulling it up.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:35pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
[B]
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think the rule is meant to address that situation, Juules. It addresses taking the shirt off, not pulling it up.
According to the NFHS web site, the rule is meant to address that exact same situation. Under 2005-06 POE's --"A"- it says "pulling the uniform out of the shorts in an emotional display" is a "T".

Terrible call if the player was just frustrated though.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
..which brings me to another aspect of it... In a game I did the other day, a player pulled her jersey up over her face for a moment, but she had a t-shirt underneath which did not get pulled up, and she attracted no attention to herself at all. It was just a private moment of frustration with herself. Is that within the rule to call, or not?
According to the NFHS web site, the rule is meant to address that exact same situation. Under 2005-06 POE's --"A"- it says "pulling the uniform out of the shorts in an emotional display" is a "T".

That's what I would think.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:

While I agree with your characterization of "Terrible call", isn't frustrated precisely the same as and emotional display?