The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Summer Camp. New Rules. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21032-summer-camp-new-rules.html)

26 Year Gap Sun Jun 26, 2005 01:32pm

Has anyone attended a summer camp this year? And how has the implementation of the new rules gone for you? Or are you not working with them because it is in between seasons? Just curious as I am going to a couple of them this summer.

ChuckElias Sun Jun 26, 2005 01:39pm

Haven't been to camp yet. But our local summer league is not using the new rules, which I think is a mistake. But they don't ask me for my opinion. :)

blindzebra Sun Jun 26, 2005 02:40pm

Only had team control come up a couple of times and we sold it with, "Team control no shots," and never had a problem.

Had one double foul and it was the same way. I said, "Rule change it's POI, now," with not a single question.

JRutledge Sun Jun 26, 2005 04:54pm

I have worked only one camp where we used the new rules. I have worked several summer leagues and no one used the rules.

Peace

Snake~eyes Sun Jun 26, 2005 05:42pm

In every league I've worked in I have used the new rules, they have come up but not too many times. I have had the double foul and offensive foul come up, have not had the OOB violation yet.

rainmaker Sun Jun 26, 2005 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
In every league I've worked in I have used the new rules, they have come up but not too many times. I have had the double foul and offensive foul come up, have not had the OOB violation yet.
Ditto. Also, I haven't given a T yet to any of the many players who have changed their shirts "within the visual confines of the playing area." I just can't accept that one.

26 Year Gap Sun Jun 26, 2005 07:57pm

The camps I am going to are team camps...both girls...so I hope there are not any budding Brandi Chastains.

SeanFitzRef Mon Jun 27, 2005 09:46am

Went to two camps, with one more pending, and all have applied the new rules. Haven't had any problems with the Team control issue, got questioned on the double foul POI. after quickly explaining, played on without further incident.

rainmaker Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
The camps I am going to are team camps...both girls...so I hope there are not any budding Brandi Chastains.
Brandi Chastain showed her bra. Big deal. There's less modesty and more exposure in the hallways of most schools. I really disagree with this rule, and I'm waiting to see how our association decides to enforce it.

which brings me to another aspect of it... In a game I did the other day, a player pulled her jersey up over her face for a moment, but she had a t-shirt underneath which did not get pulled up, and she attracted no attention to herself at all. It was just a private moment of frustration with herself. Is that within the rule to call, or not?

M&M Guy Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
which brings me to another aspect of it... In a game I did the other day, a player pulled her jersey up over her face for a moment, but she had a t-shirt underneath which did not get pulled up, and she attracted no attention to herself at all. It was just a private moment of frustration with herself. Is that within the rule to call, or not?
The way I've had the rule explained to me - yes, it is a T. Are you sure it was frustration with only herself, or could she have been "yelling" at you or your partners under cover of her jersey? I do that - I'll go home and yell into my pillow instead of yelling back at the coach. (My wife already thinks I'm nuts because I walk around the house on my heels, but that's another story...) Now, on a practical note, if I know for certain it was only for herself, and not done out in the middle of the floor for all to see, then I probably didn't see it happen; similar to how I would handle profanity. But it will be interesting to see how this is handled on a local association level, as well as the state level. I know we have been told in IL removing the jersey on the bench, to change it due to blood, is a T. I've already been told by several officials they will never "see" it, and therefore not call it.

BktBallRef Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:18pm

Quote:

I happen to like Brandi Chastain and her choice of tops! :D

BktBallRef Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:20pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
[B]
Quote:

I don't think the rule is meant to address that situation, Juules. It addresses taking the shirt off, not pulling it up.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:35pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
[B]
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think the rule is meant to address that situation, Juules. It addresses taking the shirt off, not pulling it up.

According to the NFHS web site, the rule <b>is</b> meant to address that exact same situation. Under 2005-06 POE's --"A"- it says "pulling the uniform out of the shorts in an emotional display" is a "T".

Terrible call if the player was just frustrated though.

rainmaker Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:51pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Quote:

..which brings me to another aspect of it... In a game I did the other day, a player pulled her jersey up over her face for a moment, but she had a t-shirt underneath which did not get pulled up, and she attracted no attention to herself at all. It was just a private moment of frustration with herself. Is that within the rule to call, or not?
According to the NFHS web site, the rule <b>is</b> meant to address that exact same situation. Under 2005-06 POE's --"A"- it says "pulling the uniform out of the shorts in an emotional display" is a "T".

That's what I would think.

Camron Rust Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:55pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[B]
Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Quote:

While I agree with your characterization of "Terrible call", isn't frustrated precisely the same as and emotional display?