The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Does anyone have some input on whether to call a block or a charge under the basket?

Example 1: A1 drives lane, jumps to shoot layup, B1 had position before A1 jumped, but was directly under the basket or very close to it. A1 makes contact with B1. Block? Charge? No call?

Example 2: Any different coming from baseline?

If you're not going to call the charge because the B1 is under basket, how far out should he/she be before you'll call the charge?

Colors
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:52am
Esteemed Participant

Depends on which ruleset/interpretations you are officiating the game under...if Fed. game, then it doesn't matter where the defensive player is in regards to the basket - as long as the defender meets the criteria for LGP, it's a PC foul...in NCAAW games, the only PC foul you would have is if the offensive player is driving parallel to the baseline...coming from anywhere else, the defender cannot have LGP under the basket, so it's a block or a no-call...
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
Does anyone have some input on whether to call a block or a charge under the basket?

Example 1: A1 drives lane, jumps to shoot layup, B1 had position before A1 jumped, but was directly under the basket or very close to it. A1 makes contact with B1. Block? Charge? No call?

Example 2: Any different coming from baseline?

If you're not going to call the charge because the B1 is under basket, how far out should he/she be before you'll call the charge?

Colors
My perspective in you post it does not state whether shot is released or not so I am going to answer in two ways. situation 1: Let's say shot is release before contact I got push on A1 shot is gone cannot have a PC.
Situation 2: A1 initiate contact before releasing shot PC.
Now with that being said, I do not believe the location of the defensive player matters where he/she has LGP on the
court.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm fairly certain that under NFHS rules the airborne shooter can still be called for a PC foul, even after releasing the shot. No restriction on where the defender can setup.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
I'm fairly certain that under NFHS rules the airborne shooter can still be called for a PC foul, even after releasing the shot. No restriction on where the defender can setup.
I have the understanding the only why you can have PC is when you have physical possession of the ball. No possession of ball pushing foul.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Fed Case Book
4.12.1 Situation A
A1 drives toward the lane and goes up in the air for a jump shot. Before A1 becomes airborne, B1 obtains a legal position on the court that is directly in line with A1's drive. (a) Before; or (b) after releasing the ball, A1 illegally contacts B1. In both cases the ball goes through the basket.

Ruling
A1 has committed a player-control foul in both (a) and (b). There is no goal in either case. Player-control foul provisions in (b) continue until the airborne shooter A1 returns to the floor. Team B is awarded teh ball for a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul. (7-5-4)
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 02:40pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
I have the understanding the only why you can have PC is when you have physical possession of the ball. No possession of ball pushing foul.
truerookie,
You may want to re-think that.
  • 4-1
  • 4-19-1 Note
  • 4-19-5c
  • 4-19-6
  • 4-40-1
    mick

Being a rookie is not an excuse. It's a beginning.
    Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 06:51pm
    Official Forum Member

I got it!!!!!! This is why dialogue is good. I will re look, re-think it. Mick, you are right being a rookie is not an excuse it is a beginning. I agree with that!!