The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The book says the 3-second count is to be suspended during an interrupted dribble. Does this mean any interrupted dribble, or only an interrupted dribble in the key?
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Why should it matter?
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 12:21pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Front court

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The book says the 3-second count is to be suspended during an interrupted dribble. Does this mean any interrupted dribble, or only an interrupted dribble in the key?
Jewel,
Any interrupted dribble in the front court, I assume, cuz we don't know who will end up with the ball, thus the advantage is negated.
mick
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I can see where this is confusing. The fed contradicts themselves with the backcourt count.

Rain - Any interrupted dribble would suffice.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 12:26pm
In Memoriam

Question backcourt

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I can see where this is confusing. The fed contradicts themselves with the backcourt count.

Rain - Any interrupted dribble would suffice.
Brian,
...ball in BC, 3 seconds?
mick
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

What I mean is you continue your 10 second count in the BC during an interrupted dribble. So to turn around and say the 3 second count suspends on the same thing could be confusing.

But I have now confused myself so I'll stop now.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I assume we are talking about NCAA rules here. In that case the 3 second count is only when the ball is in the front court. So any interupted dribble in the front court will suspend the count. If team A had the ball and an interupted dribble occurs and team A regains control of the ball the 3 second count will start again, even though the player may never have left the key.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 05:25pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation NCAA vs. Fed 3 seconds

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
I assume we are talking about NCAA rules here. In that case the 3 second count is only when the ball is in the front court. So any interupted dribble in the front court will suspend the count. If team A had the ball and an interupted dribble occurs and team A regains control of the ball the 3 second count will start again, even though the player may never have left the key.

Dewey1,
Careful here.

NFHS 9-7 Three seconds: The count shall not begin and it shall be terminated during an interrupted dribble.

NCAA 9-8-3 Three-second Rule: The count shall not begin nor shall it be terminated during an interrupted dribble.

mick
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
What I mean is you continue your 10 second count in the BC during an interrupted dribble. So to turn around and say the 3 second count suspends on the same thing could be confusing.

I was told that the 3 second count begins when there is possesion established... even in back court!!! I don't believe this is correct, but could someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

My two sense!
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

You cannot start a 3 second count until the ball has front court status.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It sounds like what you're saying is that if A1 is dribbling outside the 3-pt line, and fumbles, and then re-asserts his/her dribble, we start over with the 3-second count on A2, who has been in the paint the whole time. Is that right? Also, if A3 in the key receives the ball, having been in the key less than three seconds, allowances shall be made as he/she maneuvers for a shot. Okay, what about A4? If he/she is also in the key that whole time, do we call it on him/her?

Unrelated question: Can you call a fashion Technical on a coach whose clothes fit so poorly that his crack shows above his belt-loops? Do we feel so sorry for this guy that we toss him early out of pity?
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 11:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Unrelated question: Can you call a fashion Technical on a coach whose clothes fit so poorly that his crack shows above his belt-loops? Do we feel so sorry for this guy that we toss him early out of pity?
Jewel,
A sad state of affairs, but that has never caught my eye.
I think it never will.
mick
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It sounds like what you're saying is that if A1 is dribbling outside the 3-pt line, and fumbles, and then re-asserts his/her dribble, we start over with the 3-second count on A2, who has been in the paint the whole time. Is that right?
Opps! Less not confuse a fumble and an interrupted dribble. They are not the same. Let's re--phrase the question.

Quote:
It sounds like what you're saying is that if A1 is dribbling outside the 3-pt line, and the ball bounces off his leg, and then re-asserts his/her dribble, we start over with the 3-second count on A2, who has been in the paint the whole time. Is that right?
Yes.

Quote:
Also, if A3 in the key receives the ball, having been in the key less than three seconds, allowances shall be made as he/she maneuvers for a shot. Okay, what about A4? If he/she is also in the key that whole time, do we call it on him/her?
No, A4 is safe. But if A3 passes the ball to A4 or any other player, then we have 3 seconds.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 30, 2001, 11:26pm
In Memoriam

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:

I was told that the 3 second count begins when there is possesion established... even in back court!!! I don't believe this is correct, but could someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Denny,
Have you tried Rule 9-7 ?
mick
Old Sat Mar 31, 2001, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Thanks Mick!

My two sense!