The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Monday, I had one of those games where all the weird little minutiae came up and had to be dealt with.

1. Found a broken piece of glass on the floor! Had to decide whether to suspend the game and sweep, or go on.

2. Took seven (!) tries to get a ball inbounds. Defense kept tapping it back out again.

3. Had to call the T for slapping the ball in the hands of the thrower-in. (Sorry, mick, I can't remember the preferred term for this person).

4. With reference to above T, coach had several questions, such as "We haven't had a warning!" and "Are you sure it gets two shots AND the ball?"

5. Was requested by home AD to carefully monitor a home fan and request to toss him if necessary.

6. Player fouled out, so I allowed all subs in before first shot of the free throw. Had to explain to coach. (Although why it mattered is beyond me!)

7. Ball was damaged during play, and had to be replaced.

8. And we had a correctible error!!! Table had incorrectly informed us that there were only six team fouls. We caught it in time, and, although the above referenced fan didn't understand it, we got it right and shot the FTs.

As I was leaving the gym, I thoguht to myself, "Thank God for the "Official Forum." I handled every single thing in that game correctly!"
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Nice Job, Rain!

It is a good feeling to know that you are doing the right thing.... and then checking the manual afterward, which confirms it.

Are we having fun yet?
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
OK, so how did you break the ball????

BTW, if the home AD asks you to "closely monitor a fan"
you might suggest that he do it. If he's acting as
security he can eject fans without you getting involved.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 08:00pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up and Jewel aligns with Mars....

Thrower-in works.
Sounds like Udaman!
Go Girl!
mick
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 11:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

OF.com has helped me too and although I don't post as much as I used to, (some are probably happy about that ) I've learned alot from here and isn't it wonderful when something happens that was discussed here and you handle it amazingly? It makes you look great!

Way to Go!

..Mike
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Oh, and I forgot to add #9: Visiting coach asked for a time-out -- in fact, screamed several times -- when home team had possession. When he asked, I was trail, and he was behind me. I paused, realized the problem, and didn't blow. This has never happened to me before, but somehow my instinct did the job, and I did it right! I gave him the stop sign without turning around, and he finally realized the problem and stopped yelling.

I have no clue how the ball got "broke". A player noticed that the ribbing was a little bit loose, which I am sure it wasn't at the beginning of the game.

The AD was definitely ready to toss the fan, but also wanted us to know that he was aware of the problem, and that if we got tired of it earlier than he did, we should feel free to say sometning. I was definitely ready since I had had problems with this fan about a week before, and when I saw him walk in I was bracing myself. Fortunately, the home coach talked to him early on, and in the end he never stepped over the line. (The home coach was mad because he had a ten-year-no-T record that got broken the week before because this fan had him so worked up!)

This was my last game of the season, and I finished very high indeed. Thanks again, guys and gals!

Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Answer??

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
OK, so how did you break the ball????
Did the ball his the piece of glass?

Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 7-6 names the person throwing the ball the "thrower." Personally, I prefer inbounder, but WTH.

BTW, with glass on the floor, wouldn't you automatically stop the game as a safety hazard?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 06:44pm
In Memoriam

Cool not really

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Rule 7-6 names the person throwing the ball the "thrower." Personally, I prefer inbounder, but WTH.

BTW, with glass on the floor, wouldn't you automatically stop the game as a safety hazard?
Mark,
If you had had my experiences in learning this game, you would also have learned the art of just stepping over all those thrown broken bottles.
mick
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thankfully, no glass bottles thrown at me . . . yet. (Although our team's head coach usually has a plastic water bottle which he likes to throw around from time to time.)

Congrats on the 700 posts (we're not worthy . . . we're not worthy . . .) Here's the question "what are you going to do now?"