Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 09:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Goal Tend

Quote:
Originally posted by OldCoachNewRef
Could the attempt be goal tended by the defense "after" it hits the floor?

So the answer is yes, it may be goal tended. Basket Interference may be called if ball is in the cylinder or on the rim just like any pass or shot attempt.
That is really not true. Goaltending is different from basket interference to begin with.

Goaltending deals with three things.

1. Ball having a chance to go in.
2. Ball completely above the cylinder
3. Ball on its downward flight.

You cannot have goaltending on plays that are not a shot.

Now you could have basket interference if all the situations take place as listed under 4-6. Most of these involve either touching the net or cylinder while the ball is in the imaginary cylinder. Of course there are a couple of other situations, but goaltending and basket interference is not the same thing.

Peace
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
Wink

Rut,

Isn't that what I said? Goal tending could not be called but Basket Interference could? Why are you saying this is wrong? BTW, the net may be touched while the ball is in the cylinder, but not while it is touching the rim.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 09:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Rut,

Isn't that what I said? Goal tending could not be called but Basket Interference could? Why are you saying this is wrong? BTW, the net may be touched while the ball is in the cylinder, but not while it is touching the rim.
I took your comment, "The ball may be goal tended" as wrong. The ball can never be goal tended, because goaltending would not apply. You can only goal tend a shot; this example is not a shot. That is really what I meant by you were wrong on this particular issue.

Your last comment is not true either. The cylinder is the rim for starters. Look at Rule 4-6-1. A player cannot touch the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

It might sound like semantics, but when you say someone can goal tend, that is just not a true statement.

Peace
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I happily stand corrected that the basket would count as a two. But is my game clock interpretation correct?

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
If the buzzer went off before the bounce:
the ball would become dead as soon as it hit the ground.

If the buzzer went off after the bounce:
The basket would count.

NFHS 6-7-5:
"The ball becomes dead when time expires except while a try for a field goal or a tapped ball by a player toward their basket is in flight."

"Flight" ends when the ball hits the ground.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
The try is done once it hits the floor, so even if the clock expires after the bounce, the goal does NOT count (it is dead when the clock runs out).
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Ah, it all makes sense. Thanks guys. I was dead wrong and glad I learned the correct interpretation.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So the answer is yes, it may be goal tended. Basket Interference may be called if ball is in the cylinder or on the rim just like any pass or shot attempt.
You just had three posters tell you that the answer was no, yet you still think the answer is yes?

A try cannot be goaltended if it no longer has a chance to go in the basket. Since a try ends when it hits the floor, it's no longer possible to go in the basket or to have GT.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

You just had three posters tell you that the answer was no, yet you still think the answer is yes?

A try cannot be goaltended if it no longer has a chance to go in the basket. Since a try ends when it hits the floor, it's no longer possible to go in the basket or to have GT.
Bear with me. Yes, it still might have a chance to go in the basket. Here's the sitch: A1 bounces the ball toward the basket, maybe on a hard bounce pass that nobody catches. It bounces high, kisses the glass and is rolling on the rim. B1 jumps up and pulls the ball off the rim. Would you let B1 yank the ball off the rim because it wasn't a try, or would you call BI?

Here's a second sitch: same deal, high bounce, going toward the rim coming down. B1 taps it out of the air on the way down toward the basket. Goaltend?

I'd say yes to the BI but no the goaltend.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 08:49pm
M.A.S.H.

For your second sitch I say no because it's not a try or tap.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
Quote:

Bear with me. Yes, it still might have a chance to go in the basket. Here's the sitch: A1 bounces the ball toward the basket, maybe on a hard bounce pass that nobody catches. It bounces high, kisses the glass and is rolling on the rim. B1 jumps up and pulls the ball off the rim. Would you let B1 yank the ball off the rim because it wasn't a try, or would you call BI?

Here's a second sitch: same deal, high bounce, going toward the rim coming down. B1 taps it out of the air on the way down toward the basket. Goaltend?

Yes, it has a chance to go in but it is NOT A TRY. Therefore, it cannot be GT.

BI is not GT and GT is not BI.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it has a chance to go in but it is NOT A TRY. Therefore, it cannot be GT.

BI is not GT and GT is not BI.
That's more or less my point, that in that situation you could call one but not the other.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Rut,

I took your comment, "The ball may be goal tended" as wrong. The ball can never be goal tended, because goaltending would not apply. You can only goal tend a shot; this example is not a shot. That is really what I meant by you were wrong on this particular issue.
While what he said was stated poorly, it was technically correct. A player may tend the goal (legally) in this case. They may not be called for goaltending, however.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Your last comment is not true either. The cylinder is the rim for starters. Look at Rule 4-6-1. A player cannot touch the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.
His last comment is true. The net or rim may be legally contacted while the ball is in the cylinder but not on the rim. The rim is NOT the same as the cylinder.