The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Raftery is a moron for insisting that the intentional foul called towards the end of the game was wrong. He said that the official shouldn't have called it and that it was unfair to temple. Man, when these announcers make irresponsible comments like that it really p***** me off!
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 05:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Angry Only one

Quote:
Originally posted by chels
Raftery is a moron for insisting that the intentional foul called towards the end of the game was wrong. He said that the official shouldn't have called it and that it was unfair to temple. Man, when these announcers make irresponsible comments like that it really p***** me off!
I thought I was the only one. You are exactly correct. The official made a great call. The Temple player was mad that he missed a shot and I believe he felt he was fouled (he was not). And in his frustration, he grabbed the Michigan St. player from behind. Great call. Raferty has never been accused of being a great baskeball rules man.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Right on Gentlemen. That was a great call by the official. There was no attempt to play the ball, only to make contact with the Mich State player. Intentional foul, all the way. What really irked me was that Rafferty made the contention that since there was nothing "malicious" about the contact, it shouldn't have been intentional. Malicious does not apply to an intentional foul, only flagrant where intent is to injure, correct?

Take care all
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

The officials have been very consistent, all weekend, in calling intentional fouls. Morons like Rafferty and Walton have no clue what the rules really are.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 08:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Walton.

Did anyone see Walton ask for a flagrant foul on an Illinois player that fouled his son? The official was right on by just calling it a foul and nothing else. The Illinois player just fouled Walton hard. But Walton made some comment like, "what is an flagrant foul in college?"

I just not help but laugh.

Then Dick Enberg and Walton wanted to focus on the 30 second rule after a fouled out player. Neither of them had a clue about that either.

There is much more, but it happen so often I forgot the rest of them for the time being.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Talking That was funny

They didn't even know that there was a time limit on it until after the game. But that brings a question up, what do you think about the substituation after made freethrows?

--Denny
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rulebook according to CBS

(1) Only Criterion for intentional foul - was the defender playing for the ball?

(2) Off-ball foul? What's an off-ball foul?

(3) The thirty second sub rule - (paraphrase here) scorer summons the teams back out with the horn whenever he feels like it.

(4)a. No BI, just call everything goaltending.
b. You can have goaltending on the upward flight (something about the backboard - are they right on this, or is it an NBA rule?)

(5) Delays due to clock mishaps and subs - bad. Delays due to media timeouts - good.

(6) In order to be certified as an announcer, the candidate must score below 25% on the rules test - he/she will have five tries.

(7) The cameraman always has better position than the on-court official, so he/she shall be provided with a whistle to blow as he/she sees fit.

(8) Travelling = funny steps with the feet (like a foul, this differs every time down the court).

(9) Clock errors should not be corrected.

(10) Officials shall get into physical altercations with coaches whenever possible - no, wait, that's the FOX rulebook.

Sad thing - most of these came from just one game - Ill/AZ.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Cool

But a great game

Of course I am in AZ...
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 10:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Rulebook according to CBS

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
(4)a. No BI, just call everything goaltending.
b. You can have goaltending on the upward flight (something about the backboard - are they right on this, or is it an NBA rule?)

Did you hear the comment that Walton made about the possible goaltending? He wanted a goaltending call and the ball was clearly not over the rim. Walton said that the shot was only not GT because the player put it to the backboard, not the other way around. I thought I was watching Def Comedy Jam.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
When I was a tall, teen-age girl in Portland and Walton played for the Blazers, I was a complete and total fan. One winter he had season tickets to a movie series that were about next to my season seats, either one or two seats over. I went to ALL those movies, although I remember nothing about any of them except thgat I saw a lot of Bill Walton.

Twenty years later, I can't believe I was moony over such a moron. The comments he makes that irk me the most are like, "If they'd hit more baskets, their shot percentage would be better." He actually said that on national television. Is it any wonder he can't get the rules straight? Subbing after a made basket is the most burning issue in basketball today? Puleezz!! I hit the mute and just watched the refs.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Blame CBS for Walton's knowledge

Not saying that Walton is a great analyst, but in this instance he does have a bit of an excuse. His expertise is with the NBA game, where goaltending occurs if the defender hits the ball after it touches the board. Of course, this is not the rule in NCAA or federation. But CBS wanted him for their telecasts, so they should get blamed for that ONE thing he was wrong on.

By the way, whoever has called the perfect ballgame is the person(s) who should be criticizing the announcers. Everyone makes mistakes, and as officials, we don't appreciate it when others make a major issue of our missed calls. I realize here that we are just watching our brothers and sisters' backs who are still working. Just food for thought.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 04:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Re: Blame CBS for Walton's knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Not saying that Walton is a great analyst, but in this instance he does have a bit of an excuse. His expertise is with the NBA game, where goaltending occurs if the defender hits the ball after it touches the board. Of course, this is not the rule in NCAA or federation. But CBS wanted him for their telecasts, so they should get blamed for that ONE thing he was wrong on.

By the way, whoever has called the perfect ballgame is the person(s) who should be criticizing the announcers. Everyone makes mistakes, and as officials, we don't appreciate it when others make a major issue of our missed calls. I realize here that we are just watching our brothers and sisters' backs who are still working. Just food for thought.
This has nothing to do with CBS and their fault. It is the responsibility of the announcer to educate themselves on what level they are doing. If they are going to be as openly critical as Walton is, at least have enough common sense to know the rules and the differences. I am sure the rules were not the same in HS and college and the NBA during all his time of playing.

All most of us are saying is that people all over the world watch these telecasts. I believe that in anything in the media, you should not go off talking about rules or anything if you have no knowledge of what the hell you are talking about is wrong.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Blame CBS for Walton's knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

This has nothing to do with CBS and their fault. It is the responsibility of the announcer to educate themselves on what level they are doing. If they are going to be as openly critical as Walton is, at least have enough common sense to know the rules and the differences. I am sure the rules were not the same in HS and college and the NBA during all his time of playing.

All most of us are saying is that people all over the world watch these telecasts. I believe that in anything in the media, you should not go off talking about rules or anything if you have no knowledge of what the hell you are talking about is wrong.
I have to disagree with you, Rut. It's the responsibility of the network to hire commentators who are knowledgable about the game AND it's rules. It's no different than any other company that's hiring a person. Obviously, the person must possess some skill and knowledge. Alos, the best commentators do their homework. But that doesn't lessen the responsibility of the employer. If I'm a automobile mechanic, you shouldn't hire me to work on diesel trucks. Follow what I'm saying?

The only reason Walton is calling these games is because of his name and his availability. They also thought it would be "cute" for Bill to work his son's games. The choice to use a person who's been working NBA games for the last 10 years is a mistake. But the folks at CBS are no more knowledgable about the rules than Walton is. Therefore, they have no idea how bad he really is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Rulebook according to CBS

Quote:
Did you hear the comment that Walton made about the possible goaltending? He wanted a goaltending call and the ball was clearly not over the rim. Walton said that the shot was only not GT because the player put it to the backboard, not the other way around. I thought I was watching Def Comedy Jam.
What is the "off the backboard" GT rule, and what level is it called in?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 06:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: Rulebook according to CBS

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
What is the "off the backboard" GT rule, and what level is it called in?
In NF and college the rule is the same. The ball must be above the rim and have a chance to go in. If you do not have both of those things, you have nothing. The ball was not above the rim, and Walton like the idiot he is talked about how much of a blown call before they showed the replay. Then he backed off when noticed the the ball was put up against the backboard by the defender.