View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Blame CBS for Walton's knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

This has nothing to do with CBS and their fault. It is the responsibility of the announcer to educate themselves on what level they are doing. If they are going to be as openly critical as Walton is, at least have enough common sense to know the rules and the differences. I am sure the rules were not the same in HS and college and the NBA during all his time of playing.

All most of us are saying is that people all over the world watch these telecasts. I believe that in anything in the media, you should not go off talking about rules or anything if you have no knowledge of what the hell you are talking about is wrong.
I have to disagree with you, Rut. It's the responsibility of the network to hire commentators who are knowledgable about the game AND it's rules. It's no different than any other company that's hiring a person. Obviously, the person must possess some skill and knowledge. Alos, the best commentators do their homework. But that doesn't lessen the responsibility of the employer. If I'm a automobile mechanic, you shouldn't hire me to work on diesel trucks. Follow what I'm saying?

The only reason Walton is calling these games is because of his name and his availability. They also thought it would be "cute" for Bill to work his son's games. The choice to use a person who's been working NBA games for the last 10 years is a mistake. But the folks at CBS are no more knowledgable about the rules than Walton is. Therefore, they have no idea how bad he really is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith