The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

and Dan's point is that this isn't a high profile NBA or NCAA game (which BTW requires a whistle for subs in women's play), but rather is a summer AAU tourney and we don't need the excess noise. It becomes rather grating after 3 or 4 games. So just "look over and wave" becomes the mechanic.

Old Mon May 09, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble
Dan_ref, my point is that you shouldn't be putting air into the whistle on subs anyway. That's the job of the horn.

I can't recall any high-profile televised NCAA or NBA game (for common reference) that the officials consistently brought in subs with their whistle. It's always done through the table.
When I'm working high-profile televised NCAA or NBA games I'll remember your advice. Until then I'll bring them in when I'm ready and hit the whistle if I need to get the sub's or my crew's attention.

And if the subs are already coming in there's no reason for the table to hit the horn.

Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

So I survived...

I survived the experience of timekeeper with no major mishaps. I did learn that every game and every set of refs had a different method of wanting me to alert them to subs. With four courts running side by side and simultaneous games, the amount of whistles and horns were distracting among the games. Some refs wanted me to sound the horn with every sub, others said to verbally alert them, no horn necessary or desired. I don't recall anyone whistling the subs in. Most just waved them in and started play. The coaches on the other hand wanted me to hit the horn with ever player ambling to the table and were mortified when I ignored them and did what the refs wanted.

I asked before every game how the refs wanted me to work, what they wanted to know and how they wanted the clock started/stopped. Some said to be patient with stopping the clock and only stopping AFTER the whistle when eye contact is made with the ref. Others wanted me to immediately hit the clock with every "tweet" (I finally got to write the word tweet!).

It was interesting to see how the various styles all played out on the court. After the first game it wasn't nearly as scary. They were desparate for table personnel so my 13 year old kept the book. All in all we made a pretty good team. She checked with me on every possession change, when tracking fouls and told me when to start the clock for time-outs after the ref reported it.

It was a long evening, but I learned how to timekeep and score. I also learned there are as many styles of reffing as there are of coaching. All of them were willing to answer any questions we had. Most ignored the loud, screaming coaches, some screamed back and one even tossed a coach and a spectator (someone's dad that got out of hand. I enjoyed being on the other side of the table. The refs had the greatest respect for both me and my daughter.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. They were extremely helpful.

Coach Gbert
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Re: So I survived...

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgbert
Some said to be patient with stopping the clock and only stopping AFTER the whistle when eye contact is made with the ref.
So these refs looked at you and made eye contact after every whistle? Then wanted you to stop the clock? Must have made for a long game. Hmmm...
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: So I survived...

Quote:
Originally posted by Macaroo
Quote:
Some said to be patient with stopping the clock and only stopping AFTER the whistle when eye contact is made with the ref.
So these refs looked at you and made eye contact after every whistle? Then wanted you to stop the clock? Must have made for a long game. Hmmm...
He explained it because he was worried about the timers reacting to all the other whistles in the gym due to the four courts side by side (seperated only by the drop down screens). He told me that in the earlier games the clock was stopped on whistles from other courts and it was taking too long to sort it out. He wanted me to watch the refs and said they would blow the whistle and immediatley look at the table, so I should watch for them. It seemed to work okay for that game.

Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: So I survived...

Quote:
Quote:
Actually it would shorten the game. For each whistle, there would be several seconds used up that normally would have to be played.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Why didn't they tell the timer to just wait to see the three clock stopping signals?
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: So I survived...

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Actually it would shorten the game. For each whistle, there would be several seconds used up that normally would have to be played.
I think you hit it, they wanted a few extra ticks to run with every whistle.

Coach, good to hear that you enjoyed your experience. I think experiences like this will somehow incorporate into your attitude when coaching. It helps you to be more patient with all those involved as you better understand what they are going thru. Be careful as it can also frustraite you when they are being lazy as you also know how it "should be" done.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

I've said this before, but it is worth repeating. I believe that every official should have the experience of keeping score and running the clock. It really opens your eyes to the fact that those jobs are not so simple. Once you understand that you have a new appreciation for your table crew. It always pays to be nice to those folks.

In Nevada we used non-working officials for the clock/scoreboard and book during the state tournament for years. When I was in the DC area, MD used an alternate official for all postseason games. Both of these experiences were valuable to me.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I've said this before, but it is worth repeating. I believe that every official should have the experience of keeping score and running the clock. It really opens your eyes to the fact that those jobs are not so simple. Once you understand that you have a new appreciation for your table crew. It always pays to be nice to those folks.

Thanks, Nevada.

Quote:
In Nevada we used non-working officials for the clock/scoreboard and book during the state tournament for years. When I was in the DC area, MD used an alternate official for all postseason games. Both of these experiences were valuable to me.
During the A-10 women's tourney, we had an alternate official at the table for every game, and many of them remarked about how they had never realized the challenges inherent in the clock & book.

I must say, I was even a bit relieved when the one mistake I made the entire tournament was also made by the alternate official.