View Single Post
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

So I survived...

I survived the experience of timekeeper with no major mishaps. I did learn that every game and every set of refs had a different method of wanting me to alert them to subs. With four courts running side by side and simultaneous games, the amount of whistles and horns were distracting among the games. Some refs wanted me to sound the horn with every sub, others said to verbally alert them, no horn necessary or desired. I don't recall anyone whistling the subs in. Most just waved them in and started play. The coaches on the other hand wanted me to hit the horn with ever player ambling to the table and were mortified when I ignored them and did what the refs wanted.

I asked before every game how the refs wanted me to work, what they wanted to know and how they wanted the clock started/stopped. Some said to be patient with stopping the clock and only stopping AFTER the whistle when eye contact is made with the ref. Others wanted me to immediately hit the clock with every "tweet" (I finally got to write the word tweet!).

It was interesting to see how the various styles all played out on the court. After the first game it wasn't nearly as scary. They were desparate for table personnel so my 13 year old kept the book. All in all we made a pretty good team. She checked with me on every possession change, when tracking fouls and told me when to start the clock for time-outs after the ref reported it.

It was a long evening, but I learned how to timekeep and score. I also learned there are as many styles of reffing as there are of coaching. All of them were willing to answer any questions we had. Most ignored the loud, screaming coaches, some screamed back and one even tossed a coach and a spectator (someone's dad that got out of hand. I enjoyed being on the other side of the table. The refs had the greatest respect for both me and my daughter.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. They were extremely helpful.

Coach Gbert