The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

With every shot clock I've ever seen, the horn sounds when the clocks hits 0, not one second or .9 later. If what you're saying is true, then A is actiually only getting 34 seconds to shoot.

Well, there must be some -- the rules specifically allow for a shot clock showing 0:00 when the horn has not sounded -- in this instance time has not expired. NCAA 2-13.8
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps, but . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
How true, how true!!! This was one of the first things my supervisor and my partners told me when I started. If that shot clock hits 25 and the ball still has backcourt status without a change in team control you better be blowing the whistle.
The only problem I see with that "rule of thumb" is that the shot clock and 10-second counts do not necessarily start at the same time on a throw-in. The shot clock starts as soon as the ball touches or is touched by a player on the court. The 10-second count begins when an offensive player secures control of the ball. In a press situation, there could be a deflection by either team and a second or more delay before the inbounding team controls the ball and begins working it upcourt. Therefore, you'd have to be careful about whistling a 10-second violation simply because the shot clock shows 25 seconds. The arm movement for the count can be independent of the clock in some situations, and would, in such instances, be more than just for show.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

He was speaking only to the situation once control was established (i.e no deflection pass directly inbounds and controlled). If there is a deflection, I agree, you need to assess when control is established and then how much time is on the clock at that point. Then 10 seconds later, if still in backcourt, violation.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

The one starting the clock . . .

Quote:
I'm not sure that I agree with that. How do you know unless you're the one starting the clock? I don't believe that's possible to determine from the court.

With every shot clock I've ever seen, the horn sounds when the clocks hits 0, not one second or .9 later. If what you're saying is true, then A is actiually only getting 34 seconds to shoot.
I've never done shot clock, so I'm just going by game clock.

I've probably used five different models of clocks in my four years as a timer, and each one is different. Some go instantly to 7:59, some wait, etc. There are times when even I can't tell.

As to clocks without 1/10th's - that also can go both ways - horn and zero, or zero beat horn. What I find even more annoying (and stupid) is fans counting down with a 1/10th display - 9 (shows 9.9), 8 (shows 8.9), then they wonder why there's no horn when the clock shows 0.9.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Brendemuehl
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Most game clocks will "instantly" move to 34 (or 19:59 or 7:59) when they are turned on. The actual time remianing is the time shown plus up to .9 seconds.
I'm not sure that I agree with that. How do you know unless you're the one starting the clock? I don't believe that's possible to determine from the court.
Most game clocks do instantly move when started, such as from 8:00 to 7:59. In effect, they display a truncated time, that is, the actual time with the tenths of seconds removed. For example 7:59.9, 7:59.5, 7:59.3, and 7:59.0 are all displayed as 7:59. Now in the middle of a game, the clock may be stopped at, for example, 4:59.9 and when it is restarted, it will be a full second before the clock displays 4:58 (when it reaches 4:58.9). I guess this is a good reason for an accurate count, because 10 seconds running off the clock could actually be only 9.1 seconds ( 4:59.0 to 4:49.9 - which displays as 4:59 to 4:49).

Haven't you ever seen a game clock display zero, without the horn sounding (Assuming that the clock is functioning correctly)? That's because there is 0.1 to 0.9 seconds remaining.
I'm aware of the different types of game clocks. I was referring only to shot clocks.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith