The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I am working a spring league game on Monday. We will be working 3 person. I just finished my first season and have never worked 3 person before. Do any of you have some tips for someone who is just learning 3 person?
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Stay in your area, watch your partners, and everything will be fine. Chances are your partners will have worked before. If you just key off of what they are doing, you should be fine. Make sure that you let your partners know that this is a first for you, that way they will be able to help you with the rotations and the switches. If you are using the new mechanic, make sure that you go table-side after every foul call. You may mess that up on the first shooting foul that you call, just out of habit. It will feel really awkward at first, but you'll settle in and eventually like it. Once you go three whistle, you never want to go back.

BTW-- Let us know how it goes!

[Edited by drothamel on Apr 22nd, 2005 at 05:50 PM]
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Call the game. Call what's in front of you, that's your first responsibility. Have a glance every now and then to see where your partners are - that's a good cue as to where YOU should be, and where you should be looking.

You'll miss some rotations, and screw up some switches. Don't worry about it. The players and coaches don't care. All they care about is that stuff gets called (or not).

Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Basically what canuckrefguy said, always glance at your partners to see where they're at. And as you should always do, make eye contact with them on dead balls.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
I am working a spring league game on Monday. We will be working 3 person. I just finished my first season and have never worked 3 person before. Do any of you have some tips for someone who is just learning 3 person?
Basic stuff: when at C resist the urge to haul @ss to new L position when the ball turns over. If (when ) you do you'll have 2 leads, not good. Remember: if you're C take your time and stop at the FT line extended. I might add if you're C you are responsible for everything that happens at midcourt on transition, so slow down & do not be afraid to take a foul on the other side of the court. It's yours! This is more advanced but if you keep it in mind you won't run all the way down & double the L.

As a newbie don't worry too much about rotations from L. When at C&T keep the L in your line of sight so you don't miss a rotation. You could write a book about rotations but this is enough for newbies.

Switching on fouls: if you are not sure what to do then do not move. When the dust settles jog to where someone isn't. You'll look like you've been doing this since kindergarden.

Areas: As L resist the urge to call across the paint. As C be aggressive, especially on shots in the paint. T takes the dribbler coming out of his area on a drive all the way to the hoop.

Good luck, have fun, referee the game & don't be too concerned about the mechanics.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 05:48pm
M.A.S.H.

Be sure you ask your partners if you've got any questions. I'm sure they will be more than willing to help you out.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for all the quick responses. Since it is a spring league game and our chapter is using it as a mini camp I don't know how experienced my partners are.

I have actually had two leads in a two person game I worked this year. I am positive that I was the one that was where I was supposed to be. However, since I was the one that noticed I just moved up to trail. I had another game where my partner came down on to my baseline at least three times! That was one of the games I don't what to remember.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 07:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have actually had two leads in a two person game I worked this year. I am positive that I was the one that was where I was supposed to be. However, since I was the one that noticed I just moved up to trail. I had another game where my partner came down on to my baseline at least three times! That was one of the games I don't what to remember.

Can you imagine if this guy had "Break your &*($#( Arms" for a partner?
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Can you imagine if this guy had "Break your &*($#( Arms" for a partner? [/B][/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO
"It doesn't matter if anybody is watching my area so long as you're not watching it".
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm still in the process of getting the hang of 3-whistle. It's been a rough go for me, because it's always at camp with many others who've been at it for years, and there's way, way to much to learn all at once. My suggestion would be to let your partners know it's your first, and propose two things:

1) that they let you -- even encourage you to -- over-rotate, and

2) that they let you -- and encourage you to -- have lots of double whistles.

I know the veteran 3-whistle people may frown on these for beginners, but when I finally did a few games this way, I was able to finally start getting the hang of it. Before I was just thinking way too much, and missing everything. It's a similar principle to calling a game too tight at the beginning -- you can always back off. If you start out too loose, it's very tough to find your balance later.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Focus on the calls, not the rotations/switches/hokey pokey.

You're going to miss rotations/miss switches/have two leads/have a Power I formation at least a couple of times during the game - work on non-verbal communication with your partners to fix things after mistakes are made. What may be best is to have the person with the most experience move to correct things.

I like Juulie's point about over-rotating - IMO, this is the best way to learn rotations.

Don't forget to look off-ball. It's the most fun part of three-person mechanics!
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Be sure you ask your partners if you've got any questions.
"Excuse me fellas, but do I have any questions?"
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 04:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Be sure you ask your partners if you've got any questions.
"Excuse me fellas, but do I have any questions?"
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

gostars, I think you're probablooking for some mechanics help. Yes, you need to call the game but you also need to know where you should be. Therefore, rotations and switches ARE important.

1- If you're opposite table as T or C, you do not switch if one of your partners calls a a foul.

2- Call a foul, go tableside to report and stay.

3- T and L are always on the same side.

4- T always administers the throw-in, except on the baseline when the ball is staying in the FC.

5- Opposite T or C normally has the final shot.

Hope that helps!
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 05:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If the Lead switches to come ballside, T & C switch as well.