The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks again for all the help. Keep it coming!

I do have one question. If I am T opposite table and I call a non-shooting foul where do I go? The calling official is supposed to go to T table side but the official inbounding the ball would be the T opposite table. Do I just go to C table side or does the C administer opposite table the throw-in?
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 06:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Where is the ball going to be put into play? Was the foul on the offense or defense?

Someone will probably answer in detail before you answer these questions. It is important to know where the ball is to actually answer your questions.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars

I do have one question. If I am T opposite table and I call a non-shooting foul where do I go? The calling official is supposed to go to T table side but the official inbounding the ball would be the T opposite table. Do I just go to C table side or does the C administer opposite table the throw-in?
The key here is that the calling official is supposed to go tableside - whether you're C or T depends on the spot where the ball will be thrown in. If the throw-in is tableside, you'll become T. If it's opposite, you'll become C.

As Rut points out, though, it depends on whether the foul is offensive/defensive/frontcourt/backcourt/etc. The above example assumes a foul on the defense called in the offensive frontcourt.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

The key here is that the calling official is supposed to go table side - whether you're C or T depends on the spot where the ball will be thrown in. If the throw-in is table side, you'll become T. If it's opposite, you'll become C.

As Rut points out, though, it depends on whether the foul is offensive/defensive/front court/back court/etc. The above example assumes a foul on the defense called in the offensive front court.
That's exactly what I was looking for. I was asking about a defensive non-shooting foul in the front court with a spot throw-in on the sideline opposite table
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 06:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

That's exactly what I was looking for. I was asking about a defensive non-shooting foul in the front court with a spot throw-in on the sideline opposite table
Then you switch with the C and become the new C. The old C becomes the new T.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
If the Lead switches to come ballside, T & C switch as well.
I think you mean "rotate". If the lead rotates to come ballside, T and C rotate as well. Switching is what happens after a foul. It's important to keep those concepts separate -- especially for us beginners.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 06:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Actually the term "switching" refers to dead ball movement. It does not have to be necessarily during a foul.

"Rotating" refers to live ball movement. Like the Lead rotating to the other side of the court to get better coverage.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 09:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
If the Lead switches to come ballside, T & C switch as well.
I think you mean "rotate". If the lead rotates to come ballside, T and C rotate as well. Switching is what happens after a foul. It's important to keep those concepts separate -- especially for us beginners.
The C slides toward mid-court & T slides down to foul line extended. They have 'switched' positions.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Hah. 2 leads? I've had that in two man mechanics before. As well as no leads. I've also gone from being the lead at one end to the lead at the other end, without any dead balls.

But we always got it straightened out, we usually just make eye contact somewhere along the way and share a chuckle. I think you'll be all right if you're out of position once or twice your first go around.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I started working a 3-whistle league this year as well. Even though I had learned it at camps, it still took some time to get settled in and feel comfortable. Here's what I would worry about if I were to start over again:
  • Call the game. It's still basketball, you're still a referee, making the calls is still job 1.
  • If at any point during a live ball you're uncertain about what you're supposed to be doing, the answer is always "refereeing."
  • Keep an eye on the lead, he's the key to your rotation.
  • You can worry about dead ball stuff (i.e., switching) during the dead ball.
  • Be aggressive. It's a lot easier to be aggressive and then learn to "leave that one alone" than it is to be timid and learn to "step up and get that one."
  • As the L, look for reasons to rotate. Again, it's better to be agressive and learn when not to rotate than to be timid and realize you should have rotated.
  • Communicate with your partners. It's much better to shout "Hey, John! You're lead now" when you've got T and C on the same side than it is to wait for John to realize on his own.
  • Watch your area.
  • Call only your lines.
Once I'd gotten comfortable with these, then I'd work on:
  • As T becoming the new L, worry about getting to the baseline to receive the play. Let the T and C worry about refereeing the transition.
  • Learn to love the C. It's the best position out there. You have the best look at most stuff happening in the paint. This is the look that makes 3-whistle so much better.
  • As the C, a foul against the shooter when he's rolling to the basket away from the L in the post is all yours, baby. Go get it!
  • Don't rotate as L until all three of you are in frontcourt.
  • As T or C, on a shot from your area, you need to watch the shooter all the way back to the floor. Your partner will get the GT/BI stuff.
  • As C when the play goes the other way, freeze a moment to see if the T needs you to stay and help.
That was the stuff I needed to learn this season. Ask me next year and I'll have a different list
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the help.

I just got a call that the game has been canceled do to weather. I don't know when the makeup game will be.