Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackdog
I posted the truth. Is that not something that can be dicussed here?
That depends a lot on who you're trying to discuss it with.

I'm not a Big 10 guy, just a lowly D3 guy trying to work my way up. But this is my real name, so if you could put a good word in with Hank for me. . .

That's a joke, obviously. But I'll see Hank myself at the end of July at camp. And, BTW, put me in the Teddy V fan club. He was observing at Nunn-Better when I was there and I thought he was very down-to-earth, constructive, and positive.

Hope you had a good season. Welcome to the board, Jack.
Thanks.My season ended a little soon. I had knee surgery in Febuary. I had to give up some dates. $$$ lost. There is nothing lowly about D3. It seemed like I lived at Malone College in Akron. Fun times.

Keep hitting the camps when you can. They were huge for me. I went to camps every year in Pittsburgh. Ted and Willie Nevels ran them and I learned so many little things that helped further my career. Mr Nevels helped me get a contract with the Big East. Camps are big.

How was your season? How many games do you do? What region?

I am working a Nike camp with Ted in Charleston SC in July. I'll post some more info about it as I get it.Maybe you can hit it before you go to Hank's. Good luck man. I hope to meet you at one of the two camps. Just don't let my real name slip out here,I don't want to get on Hanks crap list!

[Edited by Jackdog on Apr 10th, 2005 at 11:14 PM]
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 10:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Jack,

Do not spend your time telling these clowns who you are. They would try to tell you that you are not that person, then tell you what you do not know and who you do not know. They probably would tell you what your schedule was like. They would tell you what philosophies you are supposed to follow. Then they would tell you everything you say is not true. I know some guys that work in the Big Ten and I know something about what they go through. Not a lot, but some things.

Welcome to the board and I would not mind hearing your insight on many issues that face officials at that level. We need someone here that can share those things.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Jack,

Do not spend your time telling these clowns who you are. They would try to tell you that you are not that person, then tell you what you do not know and who you do not know. They probably would tell you what your schedule was like. They would tell you what philosophies you are supposed to follow. Then they would tell you everything you say is not true. I know some guys that work in the Big Ten and I know something about what they go through. Not a lot, but some things.

Welcome to the board and I would not mind hearing your insight on many issues that face officials at that level. We need someone here that can share those things.

Peace
Thanks man. I don't mind. I know it's part of the game when you start sharing your thoughts on a forum. I stumbled on to this place and I really enjoy reading the posts.I like the stories and plan on adding a few myself. If folks don't believe them that's their call. No pun intended If someone wants to be a joker I'll just put them on ignore.

I had ACL surgery and I am in still in rehab. I have some time on my hands. This forum can help me fill some of that. As far as my idenity goes. I am sure I have met and will meet some of the guys here at camps. If this forum comes up in conversations they will know who I am. In the meantime I am sticking to Jackdog. LOL
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Welcome

Jackdog

Welcome to the forum. My JUCO supervisor works in the BIG 10 (Donnee Gray). Donnee is a great guy and I was upset that he didn't make it to St. Louis. I look forward to hearing some philsophies from you and your experiences. Once again welcome!
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackdog
Thanks.My season ended a little soon. I had knee surgery in Febuary.
Sorry to hear that. Will you be able to go next season?

Quote:
I went to camps every year in Pittsburgh.
Which camp is that? I don't think I knew of a college camp in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
How was your season? How many games do you do? What region?

This was my fourth season of varsity and I got 20 games. Not a great schedule, but better than last year's. So I was happy.

Quote:
Just don't let my real name slip out here,I don't want to get on Hanks crap list!
No sweat. I understand completely. We had a regular poster on the forum a couple years ago who used his real name. He got a D1 schedule and even a pro schedule, but some of the comments he made here were not appreciated by people over (or around) him. So he isn't here much anymore.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 01:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Interesting...I didn't even know there was a Naismith Award for officials...love watching Ted V. work games, and obviously he is one of the best in the game, but I thought the three guys who did the NC game did a great job also and deserved to be there based on other games I saw them work in the tournament. Hard to argue against any of them being there, and it sounds - from what you posted - theat Ted V has a great attitude about the whole process...
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the board Jackdog,

I've always thought Teddy V. was an excellent official. However, there are many, many excellent officials at that level and I don't think I'd jump to the "politics" accusation unless I had some tangible proof. He may be the best official in your eyes, but perhaps those who made the decision this year felt that the other 3 were more deserving. I thought the championship game was very well refereed.

I think it's totally irrelevant whether someone uses their real name or a nickname on this board. Some posters here have gone off on tangents (manifestos) criticizing others for not using their real names (I think they called it cowardly) but who cares? Very few of us have actually met each other anyway so what we call ourselves is irrelevant. What's important is to share scenarios and experiences that we find either interesting or useful.

On that note, maybe you'd share your experience on working for an assignor at the conference level and also working for Hank Nichols on the "NCAA level." Does your assignor ask for particular things that contradict some things that H.N. espouses? For instance, Hank posts some NCAA bulletins regularly when he feels that some things are being called incorrectly or not called at all. Since your contract is year-to-year and you are hired by an assignor, do you weigh what your assignor says heavier than what Hank says?

Thanks,

Z

Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting -- a Big East fellow who ceased working around February; that's a pretty thin disguise you're wearing Jackdog! ;0)

Interesting to hear your comments on the national final crew, particularly since it did include John Cahill. As for TV, I thought he was absolutely outstanding in this year's tournament and he had a couple of real barnburners of games in the subregional and regionals. Does the fact that he did not draw this year's FF really mean anything, though -- I mean, it's not like he's been a stranger in the past to the FF. Add me to the list who was impressed with all three FF crews this year -- not whether they were the 10 most deserving; not a subject on which I am remotely qualified. Just saying I thought they called good games.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Jackdog ...

I too went to all of Teddy's camps in Pittsburgh (and Slippery Rock). Hands down some of the best I've been to.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
Jackdog

Welcome to the forum. My JUCO supervisor works in the BIG 10 (Donnee Gray). Donnee is a great guy and I was upset that he didn't make it to St. Louis. I look forward to hearing some philsophies from you and your experiences. Once again welcome!
I'm guessing you're MACBOA? I'm in D.C. - my intramural supervisor gets a few MACBOA games every year, and I had the privilege of working with Donnee last summer. Unfortunately, he didn't do any games at my school this year.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 08:46pm
Huck Finn

Mark, who is your supervisor?

We did not get a chance to meet. You will have to tell me when you are free. I'm doing some Police ball tomorrow (Thursday).
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Jackdog

I'm guessing you're MACBOA? I'm in D.C. - my intramural supervisor gets a few MACBOA games every year, and I had the privilege of working with Donnee last summer. Unfortunately, he didn't do any games at my school this year.
Mark, you are correct. Tomegun & myself both belong to MACBOA. What a small world.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Welcome

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jackdog

Mark, you are correct. Tomegun & myself both belong to MACBOA. What a small world.
And I just wish I was in MACBOA.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Welcome

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jackdog

And I just wish I was in MACBOA.
Go to camp in July and maybe Donnee will give you a shot.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Welcome

Quote:

Go to camp in July and maybe Donnee will give you a shot.
I don't want to embarras myself that much. While there are definately refs who work college ball before getting a HS varsity game, I doubt I would go straight from intramurals to D-III.