The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Why the heck didn't the Naismith Award winner make it to the Final Four? Hank???

I really don't understand this one. Shouldn't the best of the best be at The Final Four?

Does this Award really mean anything?
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

What are you babbling about?
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 10:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
This must be what he's talking about:
http://www.naismithawards.com/index.asp

Says they were held last night. Sounds like Valentine won the Official of the Year for college.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that your welcome to the forum? Thanks!

I wasn't babbling. I was making a point. I have been a NCAA Official for 14 years and I know the politics involved. Hank Nichols made a mistake. How can TV win that award and not be asked to go to St Louis? That with the fact Burr and Hightower didn't get the NC game proves what a joke the process is. Their experence was needed that night.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackdog
That with the fact Burr and Hightower didn't get the NC game proves what a joke the process is. Their experence was needed that night.
Well, at least we know which team you were cheering for last Monday!

Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
That with the fact Burr and Hightower didn't get the NC game proves what a joke the process is. Their experence was needed that night.
Well, at least we know which team you were cheering for last Monday!

Michigan grad. But I only do 14 games in the conference. Big East is where I pay my dues.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't babbling. I was making a point. I have been a NCAA Official for 14 years and I know the politics involved. Hank Nichols made a mistake. How can TV win that award and not be asked to go to St Louis? That with the fact Burr and Hightower didn't get the NC game proves what a joke the process is. Their experence was needed that night.
Yep, I was right. Babbling. Just because a committee selected TV, it doesn't mean that they were right and Nichols was wrong.

I don't have a problem with Teddy. I've met him and found him very down to earth and unassuming. But many people don't like him.

Does the award mean anything? Well, let's just say that if it were me, I'd rather work a FF or NC game than win such an award.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, I was right. Babbling. Just because a committee selected TV, it doesn't mean that they were right and Nichols was wrong.

I don't have a problem with Teddy. I've met him and found him very down to earth and unassuming. But many people don't like him.

Does the award mean anything? Well, let's just say that if it were me, I'd rather work a FF or NC game than win such an award.
Ted was the best man at my wedding. He is one of my closest and dearest friends. I wasn't babbling. I was venting. This is the forum to do that in right? Just because you have a massive amount of posts here does that give you the right to be an arse?

Ted could care less. He has done many FF games including two NC games. This omission gave him a chance to start his golf season a week early. Personally I was upset that Ted didn't get the call to go to St Louis. As an official I feel the best in our craft should be at the FF. That didn't happen this year. If your a NCAA official you know that's the truth.

Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

No, I was an arse long before I posted 7000 times.

Everyone has opinions. There are plenty of posters here who don't like TV. There are plenty that do. Sounds like you might be a little biased. But you're entitled to your opinion. But that also doesn't mean you're right.

In any case, just because he got an award, it doesn't mean that he's the best of the best. Look around! How many different players got national player of the year awards?

As for babbling, when a first time poster starts out venting and complaining, I refer to that as babbling. You might to engage in some discussion and make some contribution before you start out venting. For the most part, no one seems to care about the subject.

Welcome to the forum!

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 10th, 2005 at 09:12 PM]
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I was an arse long before I posted 7000 times.

Everyone has opinions. There are plenty of posters here who don't like TV. There are plenty that do. Sounds like you might be a little biased. But you're entitled to your opinion. But that also doesn't mean you're right.

In any case, just because he got an award, it doesn't mean that he's the best of the best. Look around! How many different players got national player of the year awards?

As for babbling, when a first time poster starts out venting and complaining, I refer to that as babbling. You might to engage in some discussion and make some contribution before you start out venting. For the most part, no one seems to care about the subject.

Welcome to the forum!

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 10th, 2005 at 08:29 PM]

Fair enough. Thanks.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Why don't you tell us your real name, and we'll make sure Hank Nichols hears your opinions.

I know a few guys who work in the Big 10. I'm hoping they'd be smart enough not to make a post like this in an online forum about how certain people are getting screwed with politics.

Also, if you'd like their opinions of you, I'd be more than happy to ask them.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Why don't you tell us your real name, and we'll make sure Hank Nichols hears your opinions.

I know a few guys who work in the Big 10. I'm hoping they'd be smart enough not to make a post like this in an online forum about how certain people are getting screwed with politics.

Also, if you'd like their opinions of you, I'd be more than happy to ask them.
Now I am being called stupid? OK. I posted the truth. Is that not something that can be dicussed here? I guess in your world everything is A OK with the current system. What's your real name and who are your friends? I'll let you know what I think of them.

Are you a Big Ten official? If so PM me. I'll give you my cell phone number and we can talk.

Hank will hear my opinion in Myrtle Beach next month.Thanks anyway.Maybe your in our foursome???

Here is the link to Ted interview:http://news-register.net/sptcolumns/story/0327202005_sco01.asp

Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

I've gotta tell you Jackdog, this looks more like a "lifetime achievement" type of award, rather than really recognizing the best official for this year. Take a look at past recipients. There are no repeat winners.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've gotta tell you Jackdog, this looks more like a "lifetime achievement" type of award, rather than really recognizing the best official for this year. Take a look at past recipients. There are no repeat winners.
I see that. They have only been giving this to official's since 88. Seeing Lenny Wirtz won it in 95 I'll have to agree with you. Lenny was not good at all that year.

Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I posted the truth. Is that not something that can be dicussed here?
That depends a lot on who you're trying to discuss it with.

I'm not a Big 10 guy, just a lowly D3 guy trying to work my way up. But this is my real name, so if you could put a good word in with Hank for me. . .

That's a joke, obviously. But I'll see Hank myself at the end of July at camp. And, BTW, put me in the Teddy V fan club. He was observing at Nunn-Better when I was there and I thought he was very down-to-earth, constructive, and positive.

Hope you had a good season. Welcome to the board, Jack.