The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Our local boys ref association is looking at updating the descriptors for our ratings system. You know, the verbage that describes the different "tiers" of an officials ability ranging from an official of the highest calibar down to an official who has a lot to work on.

For instance, here's an example of two of the tiers from our girl's assoc system:

1) Excellent Official: State Tournament caliber official. An official that would represent our association well at a state tournament and any district playoff games. This official has mastered all facets of rule knowledge and application, judgment and consistency, game management and game awareness, clock management, court coverage, teamwork, communication skills, court confidence and presence, leadership and professionalism, appearance and fitness, pre-game conference and preparation, and signals and mechanics.

2) Very Good Official: Official has mastered district tournament officiating and is on the verge of being a state official. An excellent official, but may need only a slight improvement in one of the facets listed under "Excellent Official."

I'd love to see some examples of what other groups use. Does anyone have anything they could post here or e-mail to me (or else direct me to something online)?

Thanks,

Z (kevtrout at northwest dot net)
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

rating system

1. Playoff
2. Varsity
3. Associate Varsity
4. Lower Level
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

link

You can go to cboa.net and go to the affiliated units link. In each units website you can see what their different rating systems are. Especially look at South Bay, Foothill-Citrus, Long Beach.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

One rule MSHSAA follows, I believe, is that if a coach gives an official the lowest rating, they must write an explanation as to why they did so.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Here is Wisconsin's Rating descriptors and classification protocol for registered officials: (Note: You must have a Master or L5 level rating to be considered for post season state tournament selection.)

RATING CRITERIA LEVELS (Ratings done by coaches & assignors/conference commissioners)

1- Would not hire this official.
2- This official needs improvement.
3- Would hire this official for a regular season game.
4- Would hire this official for a regional tournament.
5- Would hire this official for a sectional tournament.
6- Clearly among the best, would hire this official for a state tournament.

All ratings are totaled, one high & one low rating dropped, total averaged to provide official's rating.

CLASSIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

Officials may advance one level in classification each year if all requirements for the next level are met.

L1 - Attend sports meeting, write Part I exam.

L2 - Attend sports meeting, score 70% on Part I exam, reapply by June deadline.

L3 - Attend sports meeting, score 75% on Part I exam, reapply by June deadline.

L4 - Attend sports meeting, score 80% on Part I exam, reapply by June deadline.

L5 - Attend sports meeting, score 85% on Part I exam, provide schedule of varsity games worked during current season, reapply by June deadline. (Basketball - 8 varsity games)

MASTER - Attend sports meeting, score 90% on Part I and Part II exam (if applicable), provide schedule of varsity games worked during current season, reapply by June deadline. (Basketball - 16 varsity games)

CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM

1. Officials may advance one level in classification each year if all requirements for the next level are met.
Note: L1, L2 and L3 officials will be allowed to advance two levels in classification per sport, per year, when credited for attending a WIAA approved officiating clinic provided they meet all the criteria for the new level (maximum one clinic per sport/year). Note: Clinic attendance
does not eliminate the sports meeting attendance requirement. L4, L5 and Master officials attending a WIAA approved clinic or conducting a WIAA approved clinic will be given credit for one varsity contest on their Schedule of Games.

2. Officials will maintain their current classification level for any of the following reasons (will not advance):
a. Miss the deadline for reapplying for a license. A late fee of $10 will be assessed.
b. Miss the deadline for submitting Part I or Part II (if applicable) exam.
c. Did not achieve the required exam score for the next level, but did achieve the necessary score to maintain their current level.
d. Did not have the required number of contests for the next level, but did have the required number of contests to maintain their current level.
e. Submitted their Classification Request and Schedule form late, but did achieve the necessary number of contests to maintain their current level.

3. Officials will drop in classification for any of the following reasons:
a. Did not attend a sports meeting in the sport(s) in which he/she is licensed.
b. Did not submit Part I or Part II (if applicable) exam.
c. Did not work the required number of contests for the L5 or Master classification level.
d. A Master official did not achieve the required Part I and Part II (if applicable) exam score and/or did not have the required number of varsity contests for the Master level.
e. Repetitive violation of requirements listed in No. 2.

Hope this info helps!

wl

[Edited by imaref on Apr 10th, 2005 at 10:25 AM]
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
1) Certified
2) Approved
3) Regestered

1 being the best.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 11:13am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
One rule MSHSAA follows, I believe, is that if a coach gives an official the lowest rating, they must write an explanation as to why they did so.
I like this idea. I'm not sure if it's used in Illinois, although I doubt it is, (hopefully JRut will jump in and rule). Anyways, I think this system somewhat makes a coach cool off before they rate officials. I think this applies more often to basketball games where things can be heated more often -- but certainly can occur in any sport.

Brain2,

Where you are at, whenever a coach submits an explanation of the situation that occured, does the state contact the official?
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

WOW!!

I'm amazed at what I'm reading as to how the ratings and assignments work around the country. I think a lot of officials around here would quit if the coaches had any say over ratings or assignments. And only one clinic or meeting to be certified? We are required to receive 15 hours of instruction (6-7 meetings) as well as pass 2 tests with at least 80% just to be eligible to receive games.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Brain2,

Where you are at, whenever a coach submits an explanation of the situation that occured, does the state contact the official?
I'm not sure. I've never done a game where I've gotten rated for it. (I've never officiated a high school game) I just read about the rating systems in our newsletter.

ChrisSportsFan has worked high school in the same area as me. He might know. I doubt he ever got that low of a rating though.