The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

I just watched it again and the trail is looking right at it from the time he touched it to the time he shot, and had a completely open look. It was not in the corner either, it was between the block and the FT line extended.

The call was 100% trails.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. It is not in the Lead's primary, but officiating is not just about what is going on in your primary all the time. You do not have to agree, but the lead has the ball inside the 3 point line. He has to know what might happen with the ball near his area. Again, this is what is taught often at camps I have attended.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Yes it was traveling. He did not call traveling in the lane. The official called traveling by the 3 point line.
I'm afriad you're wrong, Jeff. I've watched it again and again. He didn't call the travel until after he left the floor to release the shot. Then, O'Neal pointed into the lane. The whistle was over 2 seconds after the spin move outside the arc.
I will ask him myself this summer. I know that will be talked about around here because he lives in this area. So we can find out then. If not then maybe before the summer. I do not care when the whistle was blown, he traveled way before that point. If that is not what he called, not sure we are going to solve that issue here tonight. He has talked about other games he worked and mistakes he has made. We will also see when the officials come out for the next game.

Peace
I think there's a strong possibility that he traveled on the spin move. Can't argue there. But truthfully, that's not what he called. He points directly into the lane where the shooter left the floor.

But I'll take it!
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I will ask him myself this summer. I know that will be talked about around here because he lives in this area. So we can find out then. ... He has talked about other games he worked and mistakes he has made.
Jeff, in all seriousness, I hope you'll ask, and that you'll let us know what happened. It would be so interesting to get the "insider's" point of view.

And, hey, you put that quote from the beer commercial into your sig line. We are friends for life!
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Changing topics

Jeff, why are they playing the regional in Rosemont as opposed to the UC? Do you know?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I see the play that Jeff thinks was the travel. The whistle was really, really late, if that was what happened. You can't see hte ref in the pic. Maybe he blew his whistle out of his mouth at first?

On the other hand, the trail did have a very good look, much better than the lead who had at least three players, and the body of the dribbler, between him and the ball.

I think it was a mistake by the ref. Doesn't happen often.
You understand mostly what I am saying. As I said I did not see the play live. I did not hear the whistle in the replay. But the kid stutter stepped then decided to dribble while taking another step. I could see an official waiting a second or being caught off guard. That is really the case if the area of coverage is in an area where both officials might pick up the play. It is possible that the trail did not get a great look at it and the lead made the call as a result. I think we should not forget a basketball fundamental, "The ball is already dead before the whistle is blown."

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
I think he anticipated a foul, and blew the whistle when there wasn't any contact. Had to make a call.

But that's okay. 'Nova got plenty of calls down the stretch.

Credit to 'Nova. They wanted it more.

Just didn't get it.
So you think there wasn't a foul? My husband thought there was a good solid one in the paint. I could easily see no calling the minimal contact there, but he thought it was a good hard one. Never mind that the ball went in the basket. I finally convinced him that since the travel came first, the contact didn't matter. But you think it wasn't a foul? Nice to know I'm right once in a while.
Sigh.

What travel?
Okay, then, reword the whole durn thing.

Since there wasn't a travel... (does that work?)

...should there have been a foul? I didn't think so, my husband did. What's your opinion, Danny boy?
Juulie girl, my opinion is there was no travel. Without a doubt.

I don't agree with your husband that there was a foul. IMO that sequence deserved no whistle.

Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Is there really anyone who thinks they can see from the replay when the ball was held? I've watched it a number of times, and I simply cannot see much of the left hand or arm at all, in relation to when the left foot leaves the ground. (I'm putting to the side the possibility that it was called on the spin.)

Either way, a question and a comment. What the heck was Villanova doing going for a two with less than 10 seconds and two timeouts? Did Wright really plan on making two baskets in ten seconds, or think it was easier to do than making one three. O'Neill is going to get lots of heat, but at some point someone needs to acknowledge that bad coaching exposes you to bad breaks. The comment is that the whistle just came way too late. You are simply never going to be able to convince your average fan that the call was not influenced by the fact that the ball went in the goal.

Just a freaking bummer is all.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Re: Changing topics

Quote:
Jeff, why are they playing the regional in Rosemont as opposed to the UC? Do you know?
DePaul is the host school for the regional. The city of Rosemont also wanted the regional to be named the "Rosemont Regional," but the NCAA didn't go for it.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quote:
I will ask him myself this summer. I know that will be talked about around here because he lives in this area. So we can find out then. ... He has talked about other games he worked and mistakes he has made.
Jeff, in all seriousness, I hope you'll ask, and that you'll let us know what happened. It would be so interesting to get the "insider's" point of view.

And, hey, you put that quote from the beer commercial into your sig line. We are friends for life!
I will ask for sure. I am sure by then he will have heard the criticism and will say something either on his own or it will be asked. Maybe you guys are right and he called the travel near the lane, but I am not sure about that. Again, I did not see the play live. So for the most part I am taking everyone's word for it. I happened to turn the TV right when they were showing the replay. But just from experience it does happen when you blow the whistle, not everyone stops. That happens a lot when you have a really loud gym.

Juulie, I have had that sig line for several weeks now. I love that commercial.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't agree with your husband that there was a foul. IMO that sequence deserved no whistle.
Cool. I wouldn't have called a foul, either. I'm also not going to argue with my husband about it. But I like that inner smug self-confidence that I'm right. Your confirmation of my opinion is accepted.

Tony, maybe you saw a different broadcast than I saw. The only time I saw the lead, he was pointing straight down the court and clearly not pointing into the lane. My guess is you're right that he anticipated the call, and had to bail himself out with the travel.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Changing topics

Quote:
I have no idea. They probably felt the ticket would be a hotter ticket at the All-State Arena. There also could have been some conflicts with the Bulls at that time as well. The UC was used for a IHSA Class AA Boy's Super-Sectional and the Big Ten Tournament all in 5 days. It is possible it just would not work with all the schedules. I would not be surprised if the hockey situation was a factor as well. That was set long before the lockout.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yea, I don't watch much TV, besides Cyberchase, Pokemon (when I can't avoid it) and the occasional Britwit on Saturday evenings. So it was the first I'd seen this one. Made me laugh -- I like that!
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Cool. I wouldn't have called a foul, either. I'm also not going to argue with my husband about it. But I like that inner smug self-confidence that I'm right. Your confirmation of my opinion is accepted.

Tony, maybe you saw a different broadcast than I saw. The only time I saw the lead, he was pointing straight down the court and clearly not pointing into the lane. My guess is you're right that he anticipated the call, and had to bail himself out with the travel.
I dunno, I didn't see the L point at a spot that A1 might have travelled at. I didn't see A1 travel as he started his dribble. I didn't see A1 travel when he ended his dribble.

Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Quote:
Quote:
Yea, I don't watch much TV, besides Cyberchase, Pokemon (when I can't avoid it) and the occasional Britwit on Saturday evenings. So it was the first I'd seen this one. Made me laugh -- I like that!
Juulie, you have been missing out. It took a lot not to laugh everytime those commercials came on. Now I just laugh a little when I see it.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

I have a video capture card. If I can compress the file small enough so that it won't be too big, I'll try to post it on the web and link it.