Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
  • NBA officials are at the top of their trade. No official is paid more. No other official works with those great athletes or great coaches or typical fans.
    Your misapplication of "their rule" and prejudgment of those officials was nothing but a typical fan reaction to a lack of knowledge.

mick

[/B]
  • Dear mick:

My English is poor, but my logic sense is not. Would you tell me the logical relation between "high paid" and "top of their trade"? I believe someone here mentioned that the pay was so low that referee could not be a full time job unless they were at NBA level. So based on your "logic", are those high school referees or college referee dumb because they are paid so little? (No offense to anybody who read this post please) I am wondering whether you are those high-paid ones or those "adfads" ones.

If you believe you are so knowledgeable, would you tell me when the definations of "team control" became different between NBA and other regulation bodies?

G'nite.

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 06:52pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ysong
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Saw a game play on TV recently:

A1 with the ball in his front court, tried to pass the ball to A2 who was also in front court, but the ball was deflected by B1 a little bit. A2 tried to salvage the ball but only bumped the ball to his back court. then A2 ran across the mid-court line and secured the ball.

Backcourt! but where was the whistle? the game went on as if nothing had happened.

So now you know it was one of the NBA games. Those officials are bad, as we all know, but how come the team B coach did not go crazy?

Only later I found out that the defination of "team control" were different between NBA and NCAA, or NFHS, etc. In NBA rules, the "team control" also ends "when opponent(s) deflect the ball". (is this a recent change or has it been that way all along?)

I could not help wondering which ruling was better, or which ruling matched the spirit of this sport better?

In above case, if it happens in a high school or college game, team A simply can do nothing to prevent team B from getting the ball first, even though it was not exactly their fault to put themselves into such situation. So why do NCAA and NFHS keep the detailed backcourt ruling the way it is?

Thanks.
    Is it possible you can get this translated to English & repost it?

TIA
    Dear Dan_ref, My English is very poor. Is it possible THAT you (XX CAN) get it translated INTO easy English and post it AGAIN?

BTW, is that the best you can do? How come it seems very low to me?

Yes your English is very poor. No it's not possible for me to translate it. Why do you believe I care what you think?

Anything else?
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 06:58pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Quote:
  • NBA officials are at the top of their trade. No official is paid more. No other official works with those great athletes or great coaches or typical fans.
    Your misapplication of "their rule" and prejudgment of those officials was nothing but a typical fan reaction to a lack of knowledge.

mick
  • Dear mick:

My English is poor, but my logic sense is not. Would you tell me the logical relation between "high paid" and "top of their trade"? I believe someone here mentioned that the pay was so low that referee could not be a full time job unless they were at NBA level. So based on your "logic", are those high school referees or college referee dumb because they are paid so little? (No offense to anybody who read this post please) I am wondering whether you are those high-paid ones or those "adfads" ones.

If you believe you are so knowledgeable, would you tell me when the definations of "team control" became different between NBA and other regulation bodies?

G'nite.
    [/B]
    ysong,
    The relationship between high pay and top of their trade is is direct. I believe the NBA implores supply-side economics, which advocates policies that raise capital and labor output by increasing the incentive to produce. Thus, doing a good officiating job for the NBA, provides a good product where the players, fans and coaches are willing to pay and participate, (ie, to buy) and the good officiating job is rewarded by higher pay.

The fact that officials work for or, in spite of, their pay has no direct relationship to intelligence.
    I am not highly paid.
    I do not know if I am an adfad.
    I do not claim to be knowledgeable.
    I do not judge volleyball, swimming, wrestling or NBA basketball.
    I know that your "we" does not include me. Instead of using the term "We", perhaps your English skills may one day include idioms such as:
  • I think...
  • In my opinion...
  • It seems to me...

mick

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:11pm
    Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
    First of all, (and I am not calling you a "first of all") his use of the term "for starters" simply means this is his first point. It is not a description of a "rookie".

Oops!

Second, he is challenging your statement that "Those officials are bad, as we all know" which is a direct quote from your first post in this thread. So your own arguement about representing everybody else can be used against you, since that is what you implied.

Is it really that hard to see I was trying to be funny? Probably it was not funny, or no more funnier than people attack my English.

Third, the NF backcourt rule is consistent with their policy of ruling that the last person a ball touched "caused" the ball to do whatever it does. This is the same theory used to determine possession on OOB plays. It would be silly to use this theory only some of the time. Either it's valid or it's not.

Finally.
    My original point is NBA backcourt rules encourage more competition, while NCAA rules actually forbid competition, in that particular case. So I am wondering why NCAA do not want to change that? It seems to me that it would be a good rule experiment, just like they are experimenting "restrict area" under the baskets.
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:25pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

A1 with the ball in his front court, tried to pass the ball to A2 who was also in front court, but the ball was deflected by B1 a little bit. A2 tried to salvage the ball but only bumped the ball to his back court. then A2 ran across the mid-court line and secured the ball.

Backcourt! but where was the whistle? the game went on as if nothing had happened.

So now you know it was one of the NBA games. Those officials are bad, as we all know, but how come the team B coach did not go crazy?

Only later I found out that the defination of "team control" were different between NBA and NCAA, or NFHS, etc. In NBA rules, the "team control" also ends "when opponent(s) deflect the ball". (is this a recent change or has it been that way all along?)

I could not help wondering which ruling was better, or which ruling matched the spirit of this sport better?

In above case, if it happens in a high school or college game, team A simply can do nothing to prevent team B from getting the ball first, even though it was not exactly their fault to put themselves into such situation. So why do NCAA and NFHS keep the detailed backcourt ruling the way it is?

Thanks.

TIA
    Dear Dan_ref, My English is very poor. Is it possible THAT you (XX CAN) get it translated INTO easy English and post it AGAIN?

Yes your English is very poor. No it's not possible for me to translate it. Why do you believe I care what you think?

Anything else?
    Why do you believe that I believe you care what I think?
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:25pm
    certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:

Is it really that hard to see I was trying to be funny?
    Yes. When you mean to be funny and do not express that through an obvious use of humor, then use a smilie - like this:

See - that was funny.
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:32pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Thanks.

TIA

Anything else?
    You're easily trained.

Polly wanna cracker?
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:36pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Redhouse
    Who the hell are you to tell me something about using the term we Jacka$$.
    You just made me laugh again. what a day!

An advice for you: stop using "we Jacka$$".

I wish you are as beautiful as your language is. By "your language", I do not mean English.
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:41pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Thanks.

TIA

Anything else?
    You're easily trained.

Polly wanna cracker?
    You are so cute. I only knew most people here were respectable, now I know they have layers too.

[Edited by ysong on Mar 23rd, 2005 at 08:37 PM]
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:44pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    [/B]
    The relationship between high pay and top of their trade is is direct. I believe the NBA implores supply-side economics, which advocates policies that raise capital and labor output by increasing the incentive to produce.

[/B][/QUOTE]Is it possible that you can get this translated to English and repost it?
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:47pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    [/B]
    I only knew most people here were respectful, now I know they have layers too.

[/B][/QUOTE]I'll lay you ten to one that you're right.

Of course, if you don't like the hours we can negotiate.
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:47pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
    Quote:
    The relationship between high pay and top of their trade is is direct. I believe the NBA implores supply-side economics, which advocates policies that raise capital and labor output by increasing the incentive to produce.

[/B]
    Is it possible that you can get this translated to English and repost it? [/B][/QUOTE]

We, sorry, I take that back, in my opionion, he deserves some credits by no using "we Jacka$$".

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:49pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:

You're easily trained.

Polly wanna cracker?
    You are so cute. I only knew most people here were respectful, now I know they have layers too.

[Edited by ysong on Mar 23rd, 2005 at 07:44 PM]
    Editted version, eh?

Is it possible you deleted the part that might have made even the least bit of sense, and left this?

Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:53pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
    Quote:
    I only knew most people here were respectful, now I know they have layers too.

[/B]
    I'll lay you ten to one that you're right.

Of course, if you don't like the hours we can negotiate. [/B][/QUOTE]

Puh-leeze.

Only a fool would fling the blue sprockets but cats won't make door knobs sound like rust.
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:47pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

You're easily trained.

Polly wanna cracker?
    You are so cute. I only knew most people here were respectful, now I know they have layers too.

[Edited by ysong on Mar 23rd, 2005 at 07:44 PM]
    Editted version, eh?

Is it possible you deleted the part that might have made even the least bit of sense, and left this?

Yes, I editted it. My original post was "people here are respectable". then I realized that you were here too, so I added the word "most". So it became "most people here are respectable".

It seems to me that you can be easily trained too.
    Closed Thread