The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm visiting my dad in Florida at the moment and was trying to catch a little of the NCAA's. At a break in the UCONN game, I flipped channels and found a broadcast of the Florida 6A Girls State HS Championship game. It was interesting for 2 reasons.

First, it went to triple OT; and was the first Florida championship game to last that long. Second, the level of play didn't seem all that much better than the good girls' programs around where I am. Lots and lots of turnovers and missed FTs.

Anyway, the 2-time defending state champs lost the game in the 3rd OT.

The officiating was solid, if not spectacular. A couple of no-calls that desparately needed a whistle and a couple of whistles where I asked the TV, "How can you call that while you're looking at her back?" But for the most part, the officiating was good and certainly was not a factor in the outcome.

It'd be pretty fun to have the MA playoffs on TV. (Not that you'd be seeing me, but I'd like to see the guys who work it.) Just sharing.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Talking FHSAA Sports Report

We have the FHSAA Sports report every week, plus many replays of that program each week.
One of the bennies of being here, back home
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:00pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
It'd be pretty fun to have the MA playoffs on TV. (Not that you'd be seeing me, but I'd like to see the guys who work it.) Just sharing.
I would make sure I could pick that game up on DirecTV if you were working Chuck!!!!
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It'd be pretty fun to have the MA playoffs on TV. (Not that you'd be seeing me, but I'd like to see the guys who work it.)
Yea...Chuck, it really is cool seeing guys you know doing the big game on the tube...it kind of gives you a different perspective.

I didn't get to work the Championship game this year...but, I did work a 11:00 AM game (5th and 8th place) on the same day. Since the Championship game was at 9:00 PM...I decided to hit the road after my game, and travel the 250 miles home.
As I was walking out of the Tacoma Dome, I saw the TV truck being set up. (Fox Sports Northwest...FSN)
It was cool seeing all the wires and TV monitors in the trailer.

What was really cool was riding the Harley to a local watering hole that night and kicking back with a cold beverage, my best gal, and a good cigar.
While we watched the game on TV...I reflected on what a great week it had been.

Richland, WA
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Second, the level of play didn't seem all that much better than the good girls' programs around where I am. Lots and lots of turnovers and missed FTs.

Chuck -- it's sad but true the overall level of girls play here in FL is not good. There are some good teams and some great players, but there's not much popularity with the youth and jr. programs for the girls down here -- so too often the first time a lot of girls play organized ball they are on the Freshman or JV team at the High School. I helped with a middle school after school programs several years ago, we just ran the kids through drills and had little 5 on 5 scrimmages two days a week. It was fun for me to recognize one of the girls I had in that progam in a college game I worked up in Georgia this year.

As far as the TV goes it is neat to watch guys and gals you know work the finals. I got to work at the finals this year, but had a boys semi-final game, and Sun Sports only puts the championship games on TV. But I'm not complaining, I had a great game with a great crew and a possible once in a lifetime chance to be there.