The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

While watching one of the games last night, a friend who is another first year BB ref and I had a discussion about FT mechanics.

Is it a "proper" mechanic or not as the L to take a spot on the line during the first shot of 2 shot FT in NFHS?

He saw an older official do it and is now copying it. On the other hand, he tells me he thinks it's stupid as well to be switching after a foul is reported. "Since you're already out front why not just stay there?"

I ended up breaking out the Officials Book and showed him the Mechanigram of the FT. Nowhere does it say to line up next to the defender down low. I also asked him how can you officiate the guys next to you if you're not standing back a step or two off the line?

What do you do? Why? And is it technically correct mechanically speaking?
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I try to stay back a couple of steps and hide behind the players. Most of the time to no avail(girth has it's advatanges and disadvantages).
I do not have my mechanics book with me so I don't know "exactly" what it says but on the first of 2, I would suggest to step back a couple of steps and put your whistle in your mouth.
However, I know many officials who stand next to the last player. Most of them find this a good time to communicate to with this specific player. If I have to communicate with any of those players I will stand next to them and do so.
AAR
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I stand next to the defender on the 1st free throw of 2 shots. While standing there I can see all of the players on the other side of the lane, which is my responsibility and as AAR said, I can also communicate with the players at that time. I am not positive whether or not that is the correct position, but I really do not think that it is that important to be a ways away from them if nothing is going to happen after the first miss. By me standing along the line it also lets the players now that there is another shot coming.

As for the switching after calling fouls. It is proper mechanics to switch after every foul. The reason for this is so that you do not have the same person in the same position for each trip down the court. Different sets of eyes typically see different things.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I don't have my official's manual with me but I don't recall that it specifies where the L official stands on free throws.

I prefer to be about 6' wide and a couple feet deep rather than standing by the players. It allows me to get a good wide view of all the players along the lane that I am responsible for plus my partners. I think it looks lazy to stand next to the players along the lane.

As far as switching goes, that is specified in the official's manual for both 2-person and 3-person. In 3-person, you do stay at the table if you were table-side when you called your foul. In two-person, you switch every time.

Z
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure there are any specifics in the NFHS books, and I was told two different things by two different college supervisors as well. If it's the first of two FT's, I usually stand next to the first player on the block; that gets me to the ball quicker to get it to the shooter for the next shot quicker. I'm still watching the players across the lane, and since there's no rebounding action the player next to me is not a problem. For the last FT, and also the first of a 1-and-1, I am 2 steps back from the lane and one or two steps OOB. This gives a good angle to watch that first player on the block and the players across the lane. I have had some people tell me not to be next to the players at all, but I think that depends on the tone of the game. If you sense the need to watch for some hanky-panky, by all means, stay back and watch. (Oh yea, keep an eye on the players too. )

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redhouse
[B]I stand next to the defender on the 1st free throw of 2 shots. While standing there I can see all of the players on the other side of the lane, which is my responsibility

Don't forget that the player you're standing next to is also your responsibility as the lead. Don't have my book here, either, but I'm pretty sure it gives a general location OOB and away from the lane line extended for the lead. I personally don't like to stand next to that "bottom" player........and like I said I'm pretty sure it's not technically correct. Having said all this, I called very few lane violations this year. Biggest problem I had on free throws were violations by players not on the lane lines.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Why would you say that it looks lazy to stand somewhere? I am standing with my whistle in my mouth watching players just as you are. What difference does it make if you are 6 ft from me. I am hustling to catch the ball out of the net after the make or miss and get the ball back in play. I do step back to about where you are talking about on the 2nd throw.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Yes closely guarded, you are correct. I do have that player next to me. They are not that difficult to watch since I am usually talking to them and can tell if they violate.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I think it looks lazy to stand next to the players along the lane.
Those NBA refs sure are lazy.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I think it looks lazy to stand next to the players along the lane.
Those NBA refs sure are lazy.
Darn lazy refs.

Don't take it personal folks. I've seen both ways and I just think it looks less lazy to take a few steps back and get a good view rather than standing in the lane like a player. Do what works for you and what the studs in your area do unless the officials manual says otherwise.

Z
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 12:52pm
Huck Finn

I will raise my hand since this is something I do wrong every time in a high school game.

1st free throw - I will move back and probably have my inside foot on the line. I was told a few years ago that it is the women's college mechanic to stand next to the players.
2nd free throw - I stand about half way between the lane line and sideline once again with my inside foot on the line. A few years ago Dave Libbey mentioned this as the best position to see action on the rebound. Dave Libbey is great when it comes to the mechanics of the game. If you get a chance to watch him again this weekend watch his movement for angles. He is also an official, like TV, that will call any and everything no matter how screwed up it might seem to the general public. I like that!
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have access to the CCA mechanics manual, but here's what the NFHS manual says:

240, 350. In administering all free throws:
e. The Lead official will visually and verbally indicate the number of throws to be administered, bounces the ball to the thrower, and backs out of the lane. The poisition of the Lead official should be appriximately 4 feet from the nearer lane line well off the end line.

242, 352. For all free throws, the Lead official shall:
e. Bounce the ball to the thrower, and back out of the lane. The position of the lead offical should be approximately 4 feet from the nearer lane line well off the endline.

I cannot see where it indicates a different mechanic if there will be an additional free throw(s).

Personally I prefer to be up by the bottom player along the lane if there will be additional shots. It gives me a chance to talk to this guy, gives a visual cue that there will be more shots, puts me in a position to answer the occassional "How many shots was that, Ref?" question, and makes it easier to catch the first free throw before it hits the ground (which, IMHO, just looks sharp. Not sure how that plays with zebraman's opinion that it looks lazy, what say ye?)
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

On the first throw, stay close by but if you do go outside the lane a couple of steps, just hustle in. I've been told by clinicians to go 4 feet OOB and 4 feet out of the lane on the 2nd shot.

Last year I had a 1-1 and for some reason I came hustling in and the shooter missed. I found myself almost in the middle of rebounding action. Funny thing is I had an initial thought to box out and get that ball.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Most of the time on a two shot free throw situation, I stand a couple of feet back of and to the side of the low man on that block. (Don't want to get clocked by a player who can't remember its a two shot foul.) I try to catch the ball before it hits the floor. Then I hustle and get the ball to the shooter for the next shot. I try to keep things moving so that there is less time for complaining and bickering.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
Most of the time on a two shot free throw situation, I stand a couple of feet back of and to the side of the low man on that block. (Don't want to get clocked by a player who can't remember its a two shot foul.) I try to catch the ball before it hits the floor. Then I hustle and get the ball to the shooter for the next shot. I try to keep things moving so that there is less time for complaining and bickering.
Good point, nothing good usually happens when the clock is stopped.