The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Call what you see. Call what you see. Call what you see. Call what you see.

Basketball is really not that complicated. Call what you see. And if you call what you see, you better be sure that is what you saw. If you spend your time nitpicking every little rule, you are going to paralyze yourself and not call anything. Or at the very least not make the right call very often.

Peace
You have not offer your opinions yet. If that are what we saw and are what really happened, then what are your calls

1. B1 hits A1's hand only and the ball goes OOB.
2. ball kisses a player's hair on its way OOB.

Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

ysong:

It is plain and simple use your brain. Base the call on common sense and what the intent of the rule is. The intent of the rule on B1 hitting the player's hand is that B knocked it away from A therefore like I said use common sense and give the ball to A. If you see different then by god step up, be an official and sell your call that it is B's ball.

Geesh

[Edited by refTN on Mar 17th, 2005 at 04:54 PM]
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 04:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ysong

You have not offer your opinions yet. If that are what we saw and are what really happened, then what are your calls

Thanks.
I gave my opinion, call what you see.

I do not consider myself a "rulebook official." In many the circles I run with, that is a slanderous statement. For me that involve someone that is trying to find every little loophole and every little word and paragraph to find some justification for every call. In my opinion that does a disservice to you as an official. I do not have the eyesight that would allow me to see a strand of hair that might possibly touch the ball. I call what I see. I certainly am not going to consistently call something that is not clear to the masses watching. I cannot see myself making a call that I would have to explain in detail or I cannot see on tape. Maybe that is not the answer you are looking for, but if these are major issues for you to officiate games, you are going to have some real problems.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Mar 17th, 2005 at 05:05 PM]
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
ysong:

It is plain and simple use your brain. Base the call on common sense and what the intent of the rule is. The intent of the rule on B1 hitting the player's hand is that B knocked it away from A therefore like I said use common sense and give the ball to A. If you see different then by god step up, be an official and sell your call that it is B's ball.

Geesh
Somebody needs a nap real bad!
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
ysong:

It is plain and simple use your brain. Base the call on common sense and what the intent of the rule is. The intent of the rule on B1 hitting the player's hand is that be knocked it away from A therefore like I said use common sense and give the ball to A. If you see different then by god step up, be an official and sell your call that it is B's ball.

Geesh
Thanks, refTN. It may be very obvious to you what the right call is, but it is not for me. "the last to touch it or the last be touched by it" rule happens to be one of the few clearly defined ones, especially "the last be touched by it", which does not leave any room for judgement call at all. I am really curious to know if I am the only odd ball here.

what is your call about the ball OOB off somebody's hair?

Thanks.

Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 05:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

what is your call about the ball OOB off somebody's hair?

Thanks.
If I see it touch hair, it is OOB off that player. I do draw the line at it touching the aura, however.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

The answer you are looking for

Yes, you are the only odd ball here.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"the last to touch it or the last be touched by it" rule happens to be one of the few clearly defined ones, especially "the last be touched by it", which does not leave any room for judgement call at all. I am really curious to know if I am the only odd ball here.
You may be.

As far as the rule book is concerned, it covers both!

7-1-2
The ball is caused to go out of bounds by the last player in bounds to touch it or be touched by it...

It's very clearly defined.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 05:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

ysong,

Is this something happening in every game you work?

It sounds like to me you both read something in the rulebook or casebook and started coming up with situations that might happen.

I have been working about 9 years doing this. I have worked varsity ball for 9 of those years to some extent. I have worked the playoffs and college ball for the past 4-5 years. I have never had a single coach ever invoke these rules as a justification or a possibility for either me or my partner's to miss a call. I have never (until now) heard of any official even bring up these issues or even have a debate about what happens if a player's hair touches the ball and it goes out of bounds. I have never heard of anyone debating the issue of the ball being knocked out thru the hand of the ball handler. You sound more like you are trying to create a test for the NF, then trying to learn how to call the game. This insistence on an opinion from everyone here is rather futile and silly. If you cannot figure out what to do, then I really wonder about what might happen when you get on that court. I have no problem with anyone wanting to learn the rules or the game, but success is not in the cards for officials that only try to find loopholes in every rule and get upset when they cannot find a definitive answer. I understand why you asked the question, but at some point you are going to have to decide do you want to call something that no one is going to understand or do you want to call something that everyone can see and understand. I for one am not at all perfect as an official, but it is rare that I make call that are not easily explained or I am the only one that can see something. What you are asking is not going to make yourself a better official. I can guarantee you if you go to a camp or most association meetings, these are not going to be talked about seriously.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
I gave my opinion, call what you see.

I do not consider myself a "rulebook official." In many the circles I run with, that is a slanderous statement. For me that involve someone that is trying to find every little loophole and every little word and paragraph to find some justification for every call. In my opinion that does a disservice to you as an official. I do not have the eyesight that would allow me to see a strand of hair that might possibly touch the ball. I call what I see. I certainly am not going to consistently call something that is not clear to the masses watching. I cannot see myself making a call that I would have to explain in detail or I cannot see on tape. Maybe that is not the answer you are looking for, but if these are major issues for you to officiate games, you are going to have some real problems.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Mar 17th, 2005 at 05:05 PM]
Thanks, JRutledge. you are absolutely right on this.

One note though, when the ball passes through somebody hair, not only you and all the players can see it, but you can also hear the sound, scratchy and clear, if you are the lead.

I would guess you are obligated to call OOB on the player with the hair too, am I right? (No wonder NBA players usually shave their heads.)

Thanks.

Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The answer you are looking for

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
Yes, you are the only odd ball here.
Thanks Redhouse. I feel flattered.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I realize that this is a slow time since most of the forum posters are finished with their season, but man you have got to bring something a little better than this.

Take what you have received and please please please, move on.

BTW, you must have some awesome hearing.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
I realize that this is a slow time since most of the forum posters are finished with their season, but man you have got to bring something a little better than this.

Take what you have received and please please please, move on.

BTW, you must have some awesome hearing.
Redhouse, these are the only stuff I have. If I process anything slightly better, would you think I would stay here to take some of these from some of those?

I ask because I do not know and more so because I really want to know. Making calls is not perfect, but it is not an excuse to be content with ambiguities when they can be clarified. It is ok not being omniscient, but it is not ok to claim omniscient and announce everything that is not seen is either nonexsitent or preposterous.

throw a ball to somebody's hair and hear for yourself. you may be amazed to find out at least your hearing is as good as everybody else.

Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Don't sweat it, ysong. If it helps you, keep asking. But don't debate when you're get the same answer from most every poster.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

There is hope

Quote:
ysong,
You sound more like you are trying to create a test for the NF, then trying to learn how to call the game.
This just might be the most insightful comment I have ever heard you make, Jeff! And grammatically correct with no misspellings!

Ysong, if it helps you pay attention to what Tony said,
"7-1-2
The ball is caused to go out of bounds by the last player in bounds to touch it or be touched by it..."

But let me stress the word "CAUSED." Often the person we call the OOB on is the one that caused it to go OOB. Hence the one that slapped the ball is the one that caused it to go OOB. And also this is likely the reason that Juggler said he might not call it OOB on a person whose hair barely touched a ball that was already going OOB.

Hope that helps... but don't ask me again.