Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Another thread got me thinking.

Lets say we have A1 shooting.

B1 and B2 line up in their spots. A2 lines up appropriatley. A3 decides to stay back with A4 and A5 rather than lining up. Where does B3 and B4 go? Do they leave an empty space for the offensive player? or slide down?

Thanks
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Their choice.They can have the empty spots if they are left open.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

It seems like I have this discussion once a year with one of my partners, but here's what we decided. The first spots, closest to the basket on either side of the lane, are the only two "required" spots. B1 and B2 must occupy those spots. The other spots are open, but are reserved for A in the second spots, then B in the 3rd spots. In other words, if B3 wants the second spot, they can have it unless A wants it. But if A does not want to occupy the lane at all, B can be in any of the other open spots. My partner has tried to move B out of the second spot up to the 3rd spot, leaving the second spot open. I've told him there is nothing in the rules that requires that B not occupy that second spot, only that A is "entitled" to the spot.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

In Fed, you (M&M) are correct.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob. The only reason I knew this without my rule books handy was because I seem to have this discussion with one of my partners at least once a year. Now, my real question is: do most of you have your rule books handy while you're on the forum? How do you get the case and rule numbers so quick? Since I'm here at work, do I need to start bringing my books in with me so I can keep up? And, more importantly, what's the proper way to tell the boss, "Not now, I have a rules question to look up"?
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Who am I to argue with Bob Jenkins, but unless I am reading or interpreting wrong, I think he is wrong about this one. I agree with M&M that the spots closest to the basket are reserved for, and must be filled by, opponents of the shooter. However, the second spots are reserved for teammates of the free throw shooter and may not be occupied by opponents of the shooter. I am sorry that I do not have my rulebook with me to make a citation, but I think it states that a teammate "may" occupy the second space. I don't remember any provision that states that an opponent may occupy the second space.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Where's the provision that states they may not occupy the space? Without that, we need to allow it.

Case book play 8.1.4.b is exactly this play. Allow it.

[Edited by Snaqwells on Mar 3rd, 2005 at 11:26 AM]
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Where's the provision that states they may not occupy the space? Without that, we need to allow it.
Thanks for casebook play - this sums up my argument with my partner. The rules only require that the first spots be occupied by the defense. The offense *may* occupy the second spots. It does not say the defense *cannot* occupy those spaces.

BTW Snaks, if you ever decide to give up your signature line, I'll be happy to take it over.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
BTW Snaks, if you ever decide to give up your signature line, I'll be happy to take it over.
It's all yours.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Who am I to argue with Bob Jenkins, but unless I am reading or interpreting wrong, I think he is wrong about this one. I agree with M&M that the spots closest to the basket are reserved for, and must be filled by, opponents of the shooter. However, the second spots are reserved for teammates of the free throw shooter and may not be occupied by opponents of the shooter.
That's the NCAAW interp.

Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Thanks Bob. The only reason I knew this without my rule books handy was because I seem to have this discussion with one of my partners at least once a year. Now, my real question is: do most of you have your rule books handy while you're on the forum? How do you get the case and rule numbers so quick? Since I'm here at work, do I need to start bringing my books in with me so I can keep up? And, more importantly, what's the proper way to tell the boss, "Not now, I have a rules question to look up"?
Options:

1) Memorize them.

2) Use the ARS CD

3) Bring the book to work (or get an extra copy and keep it at work).

Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
It's all yours.
Wow, thanks!

Next question - where do I go to get a life?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

Case book play 8.1.4.b is exactly this play. Allow it.

[Edited by Snaqwells on Mar 3rd, 2005 at 11:26 AM]
Snaqs,

Holy cow! and Yikes!

Thank you for the citation. I never happened across 8.1.4.b on my own, and I am certain nobody ever brought it to my attention. Since the rule was changed (Was it just 2003-2004? I don't have an attic.) I have never seen an official in southern New Hampshire allow (intentionally) an opponent of the free thrower to occupy the second space. I also work with guys from Vermont, and they don't allow it either. Is it possible that whole states missed this or are using their own interpretation? Is it possible that IAABO has an alternate interpretation that we are using? HMM!

I sent the citation to our state interpretor this morning. I can't wait for his response.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I actually knew that one. I have a extra on this though I have thought about.

I don't ever recall seeing anything about contact between players before the free throw. I often see players put there arms out in front of opponents while lined up. Is it legal to touch an opponents prior to the free throw being released?

Do you ever have to tell players to "knock it off" or access any type violation in this regard?

Thanks,
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Man, excuse the typos!

Make it "an extra"

Before anyone says "opponents what?" lets take the "s" off opponents.

While I'm at it let's make it "acess" (fingers crossed)

UGH!