The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 07:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

There's no way in hell's half acre I will be ignoring this.

What I'd do I'm not sure about right now, but I will not be ignoring it.

My initials thought are a T or buh-bye. Probably a T.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I've never had this with a player. If it were a player on the court, and depending on how bad he was complaining, he would probably earn a T. I did have a coach complaining that a timekeeper was too slow on the clock once. It was during a dead ball, late in the game. Coach comes out during a timeout and starts to yell at the timekeeper. I stepped in, realizing what this was about and told the coach to go to his bench and I would take to the timekeeper. My conversation with the time keeper was, "You are doing just fine. Nod your head like I'm telling you to do a better job with the clock just to appease this jerk and keep doing what you've been doing all game."
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had a fan come up and complain that they weren't stopping the clock during an AAU game. They had doubled up the court with makeshift clocks. The extension cord was short enough that the clockkeeper had to sit in a spot where he couldn't see the basket at the far end of the court, so sometimes the officials were out of sight as well.
I thought my partner was going to rip this guy a new a$$. It was actually pretty funny. She went after him hard; and that was when she thought he was a coach. Not sure she wouldn't have had to pry her right Converse out of his south end if she'd known he was a fan at the time.

From the way the original post reads here, I've probably got a T on this kid for yelling at the officials. If we expect the scorer and the timer to be as objective as possible due to their status as officials, I'd better be willing to back them up here.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Talking

I was a timer for a tournament game this past season. I hadn't done the clock all season, so I was a little rusty and had forgotten to stop the clock when the whistle blew. One player got kind of obnoxious about it. Even though it was legit, he had no authority to disrepect me or command me to do anything - I said back to him, "I don't get paid enough to take any crap from a player!"

:-D

Good times. Also, before I get ripped a new one, it wasn't very loud, only the table crew, the player, and maybe 3-5 fans heard it...I didn't embarass the kid, but I called him on his actions.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

"Knock it off," I would say, "Or you'll end the game with a 'T' this day....."
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
There's no way in hell's half acre I will be ignoring this.

What I'd do I'm not sure about right now, but I will not be ignoring it.

My initials thought are a T or buh-bye. Probably a T.
Why only half an acre?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I actually had a situation similar to this yesterday. The cut the court into 3 nice sized courts, and the outlet for the scoreboard was opposite the benches in the far corner of this court. The timer was starting the clock when the ball was thrown in. I noticed it and so did a coach, and he asked me about it. I said I also noticed it and will be speaking to the timer about it. So using the footbal mechanic I signal to the timer to start the clock on my arm. The timer got the hint, but the coach didn't, as I'm about to put the ball into play, the coach who is standing directly behind me starts screaming at the table. I turn around and tell him, "Coach sit down" My initial thought was to say "sit down and shut up" but I caught myself before that. . If he continued I would've T'd him, although the timer was doing something wrong, we need to support our officiating crew. And if that means handing out technicals, then so be it.