The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Yelling at the table (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18816-yelling-table.html)

gostars Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:36pm

I was in the stands for this. A1 is the second of two free throws. After the official gives him the ball, the table (in error) blows the horn for a sub. The player has not yet started his motion. The officials ignore horn and A1 makes the shot. After the sub is brought in and as team B (the home team) is bring the ball up the floor A2 is SCREAMING at the clock operator “You can’t do that while he is ! That’s the fourth time tonight” (it wasn’t the fourth time) He continued to yell for about 10 seconds while B1 was bring the ball up. Keeping in mind that the table crew is part of the officiating crew, how would you handle this? The officials just ignored him.

Dan_ref Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:41pm

I would ignore him too.

ref18 Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:44pm

I'd say a WHACK!!! is in order. The guy is screaming at your table crew. An extension of the officiating crew. Would you take his crap if he was yelling at you instead??

tjones1 Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:45pm

Ignore him. Unless that "!" is a cuss word! :)

gostars Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
I'd say a WHACK!!! is in order. The guy is screaming at your table crew. An extension of the officiating crew. Would you take his crap if he was yelling at you instead??
That was kind of my thought. This player did get a tech later for yelling and waving his arms at one of the officials about a no-call under the basket.

Adam Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:48pm

I don't think I would ignore this.

tjones1 Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars
Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
That was kind of my thought. This player did get a tech later for yelling and waving his arms at one of the officials about a no-call under the basket.

Got to remember who you are talking to!! :):) :D:D

Snake~eyes Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:50pm

I'd tell him to shutup, don't mess with my crew.

RookieDude Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:51pm

The table wouldn't have heard A2 anyway...
because I would have out "screamed" him. ;)

Timer Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:51pm

From this side of the table? I'd look at him like he had three heads. He's got better things to worry about, like his man blowing by him unguarded.

What did his coach do, if anything?

gostars Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Timer
From this side of the table? I'd look at him like he had three heads. He's got better things to worry about, like his man blowing by him unguarded.

What did his coach do, if anything?

I didn't have a great view of the bench. I didn't hear the coach say anything but that doesn't mean he didn't.

drothamel Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:57pm

I've never seen this from a player but. . .if I am there and I see it, I would probably try to speak to the player first. Let him know that he shouldn't talk to the table, and tell him that is enough. Ignoring him is a bad idea. Especially if he is standing there for any length of time. While I know that table personnel is part of the officiating crew, the player also has a legitimate gripe. The table IS NOT supposed to do that. As long as he is not being inappropriate or making a big scene, I think that verbal communication to the player can do the trick. I would also make sure that either myself or a partner goes to the table and instructs them not to do that. If that is done as soon as the mistake is made, perhaps the situation with the frustrated player can avoided.

canuckrefguy Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by drothamel
I've never seen this from a player but. . .if I am there and I see it, I would probably try to speak to the player first. Let him know that he shouldn't talk to the table, and tell him that is enough. Ignoring him is a bad idea. Especially if he is standing there for any length of time. While I know that table personnel is part of the officiating crew, the player also has a legitimate gripe. The table IS NOT supposed to do that.
So a player who's angry about a call you missed (and you know you kicked it, and everyone knows you kicked it), SCREAMS at you "YOU KNOW THAT WAS A FOUL - YOU HAVE TO CALL THAT - THAT'S THE FOURTH TIME TONIGHT !!" ...ignore?

Uh, WHACK.

If it happened like gostars said it did, this deserves a T.

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:11 PM]

Forksref Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:09pm

I'd tell him to be quiet and if he keeps it up, I'd deal with it with a T.

drothamel Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:23pm

Canuck,

I'll stick by my previous statement, if something is done about it when it happens, then the whole player incident probably doesn't happen. That is just preventative officiating.

Unless what you describe with the coach happens early in the game, chances are I had a chance to deal with this coach earlier. If so, I have determined that he may present of some difficulties, or he is a pretty normal coach. If the latter is the case, and I totally kick something, I am going to do everything I can to mitigate the situation that I created. If he is being vulgar, or personal, then yes, I have to whack him. But if I can get a chance to tell him that I kicked it and I will work harder so that is doesn't happen again, then I prefer to do that. On the other hand, if he has been warned about previous behavior, or is obviously not going to calm down without being sat down, then by all means whack him.

None of these plays occur in a vacuum. There is a context to every play which is just as important as the play itself. This is especially true when deal with behavior that may or may not deserve a good whacking.