The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Most overlooked call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18801-most-overlooked-call.html)

Mark Padgett Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:48pm

Between games today, my partner and I were discussing the most "overlooked" call.

He thought it was 3 seconds when the player just had a pinkie toe on the line.

I said it was lifting the pivot foot before starting a dribble.

Any others?

Please note - we are not talking about NBA where virtually every travel is overlooked. ;)

ref18 Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:56pm

I'd say the carry. There are so many times I don't see it called. And it always seems to be a point of emphasis at our association meetings.

brandan89 Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:59pm

I would say Handcheck. I see defense players with their hand in the other players back all night long, and it is never called.

JugglingReferee Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:35am

ref18,

What does GENERAL OTIS T. WHACKINATOR think the most overlooked call is?

Ok, seriously, I think it's the handcheck too.

Adam Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:49am

I think the player control by the point guard. The leading with the forearm and pushing off with it to clear space.

blindzebra Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:57am

The partner killer.

The call where B1 fouls airborne A1 and then A1 charges B2.

I watched several high school championship and NCAA games today and I must have seen it 3 or 4 times. It was freaky.:D

tjones1 Sun Feb 27, 2005 02:43am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
I think the player control by the point guard. The leading with the forearm and pushing off with it to clear space.
Agree

Camron Rust Sun Feb 27, 2005 03:48am

The multiple foul!

For good reason, however!

missinglink Sun Feb 27, 2005 09:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Between games today, my partner and I were discussing the most "overlooked" call.

He thought it was 3 seconds when the player just had a pinkie toe on the line.

I said it was lifting the pivot foot before starting a dribble.

Any others?

Please note - we are not talking about NBA where virtually every travel is overlooked. ;)

Boys HS: Using the forearm on the dribble to create space to go up for the shot.
Girls HS: The Travel-Hop to create lift to get their 3 ptr to the hoop.

Calling either one brings half the house down.

ctpfive Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:27am

IMO - the moving screen(of course there must be contact). There are many ways that a player can get away with this. Straight from a coach in w/ his offense revolved around setting screens.

JRutledge Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brandan89
I would say Handcheck. I see defense players with their hand in the other players back all night long, and it is never called.
Yeah brandan, you have to have displacement. Coaches yell all the time that their player is being touched and there is no advantage for the defender.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
The multiple foul!

For good reason, however!

Camron:

Are you trying to start a riot in this thread.

MTD, Sr.

bigzilla Sun Feb 27, 2005 02:56pm

The T on the coach when he first deserves it, instead of when he has ignored the stop sign and we are sick of hearing him whine.

Damian Sun Feb 27, 2005 03:04pm

My vote is the intentional foul at the end of the game

Many vets will not call an intentional when a defensive player trying to make a comeback will grab an offensive player from behind to get to free throws.

Instead they reward the defense for making a bad play and just give a 1 and 1.

gordon30307 Sun Feb 27, 2005 03:13pm

Most overlooked call in my opinion player control foul. Holds true especially for the newer official who doesn't understand the concept of refereeing the defense. If player control should be called the vast majority of the time a block will be called.