The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Most overlooked call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18801-most-overlooked-call.html)

JRutledge Mon Feb 28, 2005 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:

Originally posted by Almost Always Right
Easy answer for me -
Rule 10 Sect.5

AAR

Coaches' Rule???? :)

Maybe Section 6?

I do not think he was responding to our discussion, but the original question.

Peace

wizard Tue Mar 01, 2005 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Almost Always Right
Easy answer for me -
Rule 10 Sect.5

AAR

ART. 1 - The head coach must remain seated on the bench at all times while the clock is running or is stopped except to;

a. Rise and stand in front of his/her seat to request a time out or to signal his/her players to request a time-out.
b. Confer with personnel at the scorers table to request a 60-second time out for a correctable error, as in 2-10.
c. Confer with personnel at the scorer's table to request a 60-second time-out to prevent or rectify a timing or scoring mistake or an alternating-possession mistake.
d. Replace or remove a disqualified/injured player, or a player directed to leave the game, within 30 seconds when a substitute is avaiable, while within the confines of his/her bench.

And that's just Art. 1! I have to agree with Almost Always Right about this rule. Why is this even in the book?

RollTide Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:02pm

state of Alabama allows coaches to stand in the coaches box (14' long - 28' line toward the end line). They maintain this privilege unless they receive a direct technical or an indirect tech via their bench. Then, they must do as the book says, minus the part allowing them to stand up to get substitutes. Only time they can get up is during a timeout or in between quarters.

mopar60 Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:20pm

Obviously there are many violations that tend to go unpunished.

The reason?

I believe that players look at the NBA and College games as standard setters (officials too?) and I guess use the non-calls there as a guideline.

How can a HS or lower official really uphold the rules and call these violations when the people who these players strive to emmulate get away with the same things?

The fans/ parents think: "Hey I saw (insert NBA player name) do that very same thing and they did not call it, why is it different for my kid?"

IMHO change would need to happen at the top and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Back in my cage.

Dave Dow Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:44pm

It is the push the offensive player gives to the defender before recieving a pass.

WyMike Tue Mar 01, 2005 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Originally posted by RecRef

Unless you are being sarcastic I have to disagree here. By the time you get displacement you are looking at a push. Handchecking is the prevention of a playerÂ’s movement, or movement in the desired direction, by putting ones hand(s) or forearm on the player.

Then you are just going to have to disagree. I was not at all being sarcastic. I probably should have said if the hand holds, directs or impedes the progress of the dribbler then I have a call. If all a player did was touching a dribbler I have nothing. Now I also tend to talk to players out of those kinds of contact as well. This then leads to less calls of this nature for me personally. If the players do not listen, I put air in the whistle. I just know that you cannot be doing the game a service if we are calling what is essentially touching as fouls. If that is the case, then on every rebound you have to make a foul call.

Peace

The non-call.

Okay who has kids and has never heard the following, "Knock it off or I"m telling Dad!!!" followed by the infamous, "I'm not to-o-o-ouching y-o-o-o-o-u!!!" as they spin their fingertip precariously close to their siblings beak.

Touch, push, hold or displacement. We all know what the intent was at the time the infraction happened.

Aside from debating the semantics aspects of it, if the "touch" has intent, the "check" has intent, the "hook" has intent, call it.

And in the above example it didn't matter whether my boy was or wasn't touching his sister, he still got whacked, and that was the end of it. (Or at least until we got back to the house it was)!

refnrev Tue Mar 01, 2005 05:48pm

I gotta go with the hand check. It's getting to be a pretty touchy feely game these days and not much hand checking is called.