The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Well, fellow refs, you do not know how much this board helps me in my officiating. I made a "no call" the other night I have been wondering about.

B1 shoots ball at his basket and misses. The inevitable jumble of bodies going for rebound. B2 comes down without ball and stumbles to floor, A1 comes down with the ball lands foot (or lower leg) on B2 causing A1 to lose balance and fall. I did not call a travel on A1 because his feet never landed on floor just on B2's leg or foot. What say you?
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

I assume A touched the floor with other than his hand or foot while in control of the ball? That's a travel.
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 02:57am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Definitely a travel.

Even if the player had secured the rebound in the air and then came straight down on his back (or butt!) without his feet even touching the floor it is a travel.
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt on 12-22-1999 01:57 AM
Definitely a travel.

Even if the player had secured the rebound in the air and then came straight down on his back (or butt!) without his feet even touching the floor it is a travel.

Gee you guys are tough. Must be US rules only. I would not make a call but have a whistle to stop play and prevent injury to player on floor. Then as team A had control they get the ball back. FIBA says falling to ground is not a travel unless something further occurs. This is a play you gotta see to be sure.

[This message has been edited by MalcolmTucker (edited December 22, 1999).]
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MalcolmTucker on 12-22-1999 03:30 AM
Gee you guys are tough. Must be US rules only. I would not make a call but have a whistle to stop play and prevent injury to player on floor. Then as team A had control they get the ball back. FIBA says falling to ground is not a travel unless something further occurs. This is a play you gotta see to be sure.

Yes, Brad and I were quoting the US highschool and college rules. That's what I tend to assume, unless specified otherwise in the question. Under these rules, anytime a player already holding the ball touches the floor with other than the feet or hands, it's a travel. OTOH, a player already on the floor can control the ball and a player dribbling the ball can touch the floor with other than the hands or feet without penalty.

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt on 12-22-1999 01:57 AM
Definitely a travel.

I'm sorry, do you have a reference for this? Using this line of thinking, if a player dives for the ball, gets a hold of it before he lands, it's travelling?

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Thu Dec 23, 1999, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Question

quote:
Originally posted by PublicBJ on 12-22-1999 04:34 PM
I'm sorry, do you have a reference for this? Using this line of thinking, if a player dives for the ball, gets a hold of it before he lands, it's travelling?

Is he in the air when he gains control?

Old Thu Dec 23, 1999, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PublicBJ on 12-22-1999 04:34 PM

Cases 4.42.5A and 4.42.5B seem to cover this.

Old Thu Dec 23, 1999, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob, I had the same cases and was about to post today!