The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Situation 1 - To start the 2nd quarter, the possession arrow is pointing to team A. Before the ball is given to A's thrower, the table beckons the official to report a team A book violation. Team B gets 2 throws; what happens next regarding possession and the possession arrow?

Situation 2 - Team B is at the line to shoot the bonus. After the first shot is on the way, B player, without stepping into the lane, pushes A player resulting in a personal foul. The foul shot goes in. What happens at this point?

Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
Situation 1 - To start the 2nd quarter, the possession arrow is pointing to team A. Before the ball is given to A's thrower, the table beckons the official to report a team A book violation. Team B gets 2 throws; what happens next regarding possession and the possession arrow?

Situation 2 - Team B is at the line to shoot the bonus. After the first shot is on the way, B player, without stepping into the lane, pushes A player resulting in a personal foul. The foul shot goes in. What happens at this point?

Sitch A -- Okay, first of all, the book mistake is not a violation. If you want a generic name for the problem, you could use "infraction" or "error". Now I'll beat that little OC demon back and answer the important question. The arrow does not switch, A keeps it. They will get the next held ball or AP sitch that arises.

Sitch 2 -- basket counts. Report the foul on B, and A takes the ball oob or gets shots depending on the bonus status.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

if this was the first shot of a one and one or two shot situation would you finish the free throws for the team that is shooting and then walk to the other end and shoot those...or how is this handled?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IURef
if this was the first shot of a one and one or two shot situation would you finish the free throws for the team that is shooting and then walk to the other end and shoot those...or how is this handled?
First of one-and-one or of two -- finish A1's shots (lane cleared), then schlep to the other end for shots there. That's Fed

NCAA -- shoot B's shots then go back and finish A's? someone else will have to confirm that.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
NCAA -- shoot B's shots then go back and finish A's? someone else will have to confirm that.
That's the right ruling if this had been a T, Juulie. Since it was a P, though, it's a false double foul. Administer in the order the fouls happened.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
That's the right ruling if this had been a T, Juulie. Since it was a P, though, it's a false double foul. Administer in the order the fouls happened.
Yea, I figured I didn't have it 100%!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Amazingly, we got both of the calls right. I was pretty sure about the book infraction, but was questioning myself on the free throw situation.

Thanks for your input everyone.