The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 3.1.1 - ...When there is only one player participating for a tems, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.

Had this on my class 1 test this year - got it right - of course!
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:
For a little flavor to this thread. Without checking the rule book, I say you can win with everyone fouled out.
Right or wrong?
Wrong, because as soon as your last player fouls out (or is injured), your team forfeits, even with a 50 point lead with 0.3 seconds left.
Foul #5 is called on the last player for Home team who is ahead before time expires, but clock not stopped until after horn sounds. Foul #5 occurrs at 00:01.0. Official blows whistle, horn sounds, 00:00.0, Game over.

Player hasn't fouled out until he has been told of such after the foul has been reported. Unless you plan to report that foul, I believe the team ended the game with 1 player, not zero. Keep trying.

[Edited by lrpalmer3 on Feb 17th, 2005 at 01:47 PM]
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lrpalmer3
[B]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
For a little flavor to this thread. Without checking the rule book, I say you can win with everyone fouled out.
Right or wrong?
Wrong, because as soon as your last player fouls out (or is injured), your team forfeits, even with a 50 point lead with 0.3 seconds left.
Foul #5 is called on the last player for Home team who is ahead before time expires, but clock not stopped until after horn sounds. Foul #5 occurrs at 00:01.0. Official blows whistle, horn sounds, 00:00.0, Game over.

Player hasn't fouled out until he has been told of such after the foul has been reported. Unless you plan to report that foul, I believe the team ended the game with 1 player, not zero. Keep trying.

OK, I report it. Tell player and coach. Game over, everyone on Home team fouled out. Home team wins.
(Edited in later)
You should report it if in-fact the Home forfeits due to everyone fouling out.
See my later post that includes the possibility of the visitors tieing the game with the freethrows.

[Edited by SamIAm on Feb 17th, 2005 at 03:34 PM]
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stmaryrams
Rule 3.1.1 - ...When there is only one player participating for a tems, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.

Had this on my class 1 test this year - got it right - of course!
Interesting thought about this rule...

The rule quite clearly states what is to happen a team gets to one player. However, it apears to be silent about 0 players.

Could a team continue with 0 players? Could they still win, if so?

I think the realistic answer is that it would be a forfeit once the last player fouled out (or was injured).

However, I could see a case for the game continueing with 0 players. Team A would throw the ball in then, persumably, score. Team B would violate the throw-in (5 seconds) since there was no one to throw the ball in. Repeat until time runs out. If A had a big enough lead, they could theoretically maintain the lead even with no players on the floor.

If any of the players were out due to an injury, the clever coach, in order to continue the game, would put an injured player into the game with the instructions to simply sit on the floor in front of the bench....allowing the other team to play unhindered and accepting the throw-in violations that would occur.

Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Right or wrong?

[Edited by lrpalmer3 on Feb 17th, 2005 at 01:47 PM]
OK, I report it. Tell player and coach. Game over, everyone on Home team fouled out. Home team wins.
Hey Cam or anyone else,
What about the sitch I posted above. Home is 2 points up on Visitors, Foul #5 is called on the last player for Home team who is ahead before time expires, but clock not stopped until after horn sounds. Foul #5 occurs at 00:01.0. Official blows whistle, horn sounds, 00:00.0
You report the foul, three freethrows (foul was committed by H5 on V3 in the act of a try for three). Do visitors shoot 3 for the win or does home forfeit immediately even though the clock shows zeros.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hey Cam or anyone else,
What about the sitch I posted above. Home is 2 points up on Visitors, Foul #5 is called on the last player for Home team who is ahead before time expires, but clock not stopped until after horn sounds. Foul #5 occurs at 00:01.0. Official blows whistle, horn sounds, 00:00.0
You report the foul, three freethrows (foul was committed by H5 on V3 in the act of a try for three). Do visitors shoot 3 for the win or does home forfeit immediately even though the clock shows zeros.
I'm not sure.

However, it would depend on my prior question about whether you can continue with 0 players or not. Time on the clock is not relevant. The DQ's player, regardless of time on the clock, must be replaced/disqualified before the game can continue. So, the home team would have 0 players left at the time the visitor would be to go to the FT line.

I lean towards saying the game is over...no players...no team...no win.