The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I witnessed a game the other day 6th grade girls where visiting team had 7 players. Three fouled out and one girl had four fouls. They ended the game with four players, could they have finished with three or less?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:05am
M.A.S.H.

Yes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by yukonmiller
I witnessed a game the other day 6th grade girls where visiting team had 7 players. Three fouled out and one girl had four fouls. They ended the game with four players, could they have finished with three or less?
You can play with 1 (if there is a chance that the team will win.)
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
You can go down to 2 players without any problem. You can go down to 1 player as long as that team has a chance to win. (Basically this will only happen if there are a few seconds left in the game, since if A1 is the only player for team A on the floor, then any throw-in by A ends up in the hands of team B.)
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
You need at least 2 to finish the game, unless the referee determines that the team with 1 player has a chance to win
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In case it is not yet clear, you can play a game with as few as two players, or even 1 player if the Referee thinks that that team still has a chance of winning.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think we have a consensus.
All in favor?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

No, the rule is that you must have 2, unless the referee determines that the team with 1 can still win the game.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

not clear

I am not sure if I understand this. I thought that you could play with 1 player if you had a chance to win. It sounds as though you all are saying that you have to play with 2.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Re: not clear

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
I am not sure if I understand this. I thought that you could play with 1 player if you had a chance to win. It sounds as though you all are saying that you have to play with 2.
You can play with down to two without a decission having to be made by the referee.

When you get down to one the referee has to make the decission if the team can win while only having one player on the court.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

For a little flavor to this thread. Without checking the rule book, I say you can win with everyone fouled out.
Right or wrong?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

i am pretty certain that you are required to have at least one person on the floor. No rule book handy.

Even a last second sitch you still are required to have 1 person.

Joseph, Are you doing a playoff game with Big Al tomorrow?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
For a little flavor to this thread. Without checking the rule book, I say you can win with everyone fouled out.
Right or wrong?
Wrong, because as soon as your last player fouls out (or is injured), your team forfeits, even with a 50 point lead with 0.3 seconds left.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
You can go down to 2 players without any problem. You can go down to 1 player as long as that team has a chance to win. (Basically this will only happen if there are a few seconds left in the game, since if A1 is the only player for team A on the floor, then any throw-in by A ends up in the hands of team B.)
Not so, the ball only needs to be touched by another player for the throw-in restrictions to end. A1 can play dodgeball on throw-ins.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Right or wrong?
Wrong, because as soon as your last player fouls out (or is injured), your team forfeits, even with a 50 point lead with 0.3 seconds left.
Foul #5 is called on the last player for Home team who is ahead before time expires, but clock not stopped until after horn sounds. Foul #5 occurrs at 00:01.0. Official blows whistle, horn sounds, 00:00.0, Game over.

[Edited by SamIAm on Feb 16th, 2005 at 02:29 PM]