The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How Many Players Needed to Finish (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18540-how-many-players-needed-finish.html)

yukonmiller Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:05am

I witnessed a game the other day 6th grade girls where visiting team had 7 players. Three fouled out and one girl had four fouls. They ended the game with four players, could they have finished with three or less?

tjones1 Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:05am

Yes

joseph2493 Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by yukonmiller
I witnessed a game the other day 6th grade girls where visiting team had 7 players. Three fouled out and one girl had four fouls. They ended the game with four players, could they have finished with three or less?
You can play with 1 (if there is a chance that the team will win.)

Lotto Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:11am

You can go down to 2 players without any problem. You can go down to 1 player as long as that team has a chance to win. (Basically this will only happen if there are a few seconds left in the game, since if A1 is the only player for team A on the floor, then any throw-in by A ends up in the hands of team B.)

BoomerSooner Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:29am

You need at least 2 to finish the game, unless the referee determines that the team with 1 player has a chance to win

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:01am

In case it is not yet clear, you can play a game with as few as two players, or even 1 player if the Referee thinks that that team still has a chance of winning.

Adam Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:49am

I think we have a consensus.
All in favor?

lrpalmer3 Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:59am

No, the rule is that you must have 2, unless the referee determines that the team with 1 can still win the game.

Redhouse Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:04pm

not clear

I am not sure if I understand this. I thought that you could play with 1 player if you had a chance to win. It sounds as though you all are saying that you have to play with 2.

joseph2493 Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:16pm

Re: not clear

Quote:

Originally posted by Redhouse
I am not sure if I understand this. I thought that you could play with 1 player if you had a chance to win. It sounds as though you all are saying that you have to play with 2.
You can play with down to two without a decission having to be made by the referee.

When you get down to one the referee has to make the decission if the team can win while only having one player on the court.

SamIAm Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:19pm

For a little flavor to this thread. Without checking the rule book, I say you can win with everyone fouled out.
Right or wrong?

Redhouse Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:28pm

i am pretty certain that you are required to have at least one person on the floor. No rule book handy.

Even a last second sitch you still are required to have 1 person.

Joseph, Are you doing a playoff game with Big Al tomorrow?

lrpalmer3 Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm
For a little flavor to this thread. Without checking the rule book, I say you can win with everyone fouled out.
Right or wrong?

Wrong, because as soon as your last player fouls out (or is injured), your team forfeits, even with a 50 point lead with 0.3 seconds left.

blindzebra Wed Feb 16, 2005 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Lotto
You can go down to 2 players without any problem. You can go down to 1 player as long as that team has a chance to win. (Basically this will only happen if there are a few seconds left in the game, since if A1 is the only player for team A on the floor, then any throw-in by A ends up in the hands of team B.)

Not so, the ball only needs to be touched by another player for the throw-in restrictions to end. A1 can play dodgeball on throw-ins.:D

SamIAm Wed Feb 16, 2005 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:

Originally posted by SamIAm
Right or wrong?

Wrong, because as soon as your last player fouls out (or is injured), your team forfeits, even with a 50 point lead with 0.3 seconds left.

Foul #5 is called on the last player for Home team who is ahead before time expires, but clock not stopped until after horn sounds. Foul #5 occurrs at 00:01.0. Official blows whistle, horn sounds, 00:00.0, Game over.

[Edited by SamIAm on Feb 16th, 2005 at 02:29 PM]