The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brightstripes54
I have been in the situation a couple of times this year, but it is still unclear to me how to administer it.

A1 drives to the hoop and is fouled by B1. When the foul is whistled, B1 goes balistic at the mouth. Whistle, T'd up. Now there are four free throws and the ball for A? In what order are they administered? Should all four free throws be administered with everyone back? Last time this happened my partner said that A1 does not get the ball back because of the shooting free throws. I had trouble believing that, but because it was a meaningless game, where nobody knew the difference, I went with it. I attempted to figure out looking at previous posts, still not 100% sure. So can somebody clarify?

Thanks
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Welcome to the forum, bright.

In HS (NFHS rules), we administer all penalties in the order in which the fouls occured, whether those fouls are personal or technical in nature.

So in your case, A1 shoots two FTs for being fouled in the act of shooting (that foul happened first). No players would be allowed to line up along the FT lane.

Then anyone on Team A (even a sub -- or two) would shoot the FTs for the technical foul, again with no one lined up along the FT lane.

Then the ball would be given to Team A for a throw-in at midcourt opposite the table.

Hope that's helpful!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:31am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by brightstripes54
I have been in the situation a couple of times this year, but it is still unclear to me how to administer it.

A1 drives to the hoop and is fouled by B1. When the foul is whistled, B1 goes balistic at the mouth. Whistle, T'd up. Now there are four free throws and the ball for A? In what order are they administered? Should all four free throws be administered with everyone back? Last time this happened my partner said that A1 does not get the ball back because of the shooting free throws. I had trouble believing that, but because it was a meaningless game, where nobody knew the difference, I went with it. I attempted to figure out looking at previous posts, still not 100% sure. So can somebody clarify?

Thanks
brightstripes54,
Welcome to the forum.

If this is an NFHS game, let's penalize the fouls in order of occurence.

Two shots for the shooting foul with no players on the lane.
Then, two shots for the Technical foul.
Then ball to Team A at the division line.
(You say a couple times this year? Oh, my!)
mick

Edit: Or what Chuck said.

[Edited by mick on Feb 15th, 2005 at 10:34 AM]
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Shoot either 1 free throw or 2 for the foul on B depending on whether or not the basket was good, with the lane cleared.

Then shoot the 2 free throws for the Technical foul, with lanes cleared. Remember that different players may shoot the free throws for the T.

A gets the ball at division line for a spot throw in.

Hope this helps.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:

Thanks
All free throws are administered with no one in the lane spaces. Shoot the "Shooting Foul" free throws first...then the "T".

The team shooting the free throws for the "T" will ALWAYS get the ball (division line opposite table).
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

What everyone has said so far is correct, according to NFHS rules. But, allow me to throw another interp into the mix - in NCAAW the T is always administered first, then you would go to POI. So, in this instance, you would shoot the T (with anyone from A) with the lane cleared, then shoot the foul shots with A1 on the line and the other players on the lane, with play continuing from there.

No wonder I always get a headache when I switch back and forth between HS and college...
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

M&M or anyone that calls NCAA,

In NCAAW Team A would not get the ball after a Tecnical on B.

Does anyone know why it is that way in womens and not that way in mens. What is the reasoning behind this rule?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
NCAAM and NCAAW are almost identical on the way they handle technical fouls. Most technical fouls use point of interruption to resume play after FTs are shot. In both NCAAM and NCAAW, a single flagrant technical foul carries with it the additional penalty of the ball being put back in play by the offended team at half court.

The two differences between NCAAM and NCAAW that I know of:

1) In NCAAM, an intentional technical foul (which doesn't exist in NCAAW) also has the additional penalty of the ball back being put back in play by the offended team at half court.

2) In NCAAW, a technical foul for an excessive timeout carries the additional penalty of loss of possession. The ball is put back into play at the point of interruption, but by the offended team.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I believe the reasoning was they felt no enough T's were being called, and too much was being let go, so they lessened the penalty somewhat. Instead of the double penalty of giving up two shots AND losing possesion (in most cases), you now just give up two shots. The "powers that be" felt this might clean up the game a little more if officials wouldn't be quite as hesitant to call a T.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brightstripes54
Thanks guys,
Your answers clarified the situation, and some.

"(You say a couple times this year? Oh, my!)"

This is the result of inner city 18 year olds who have grown up with un - informed coaches.

Thanks Guys!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks guys,
Your answers clarified the situation, and some.

"(You say a couple times this year? Oh, my!)"

This is the result of inner city 18 year olds who have grown up with un - informed coaches.

Thanks Guys!
brightstripes54,
Oh...!
I can visualize that picture you paint.
mick