Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If it goes to 1.1, I ain't touchin' it.
Tony, normally you are correct on every post, but I think on this one, you must reset to 1.2. If tenths of a second don't count for much, they why do we measure them?

I think that in a game where the last possession can win the game, an official knowingly not resetting the clock to it's proper value by rule, has done a disservice to the game, even if the official is the only one that knows.
He CAN'T reset to 1.2 in NFHS rules -- he MUST reset to 2.2 if more than one second lagged off. THAT's the rule.
My bad. Typo. Seriously.

Between all these posts with seconds and parts of a second in my head, I may not yet total a 10-second count, but it is enough to get my wires crossed.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Tony, normally you are correct on every post, but I think on this one, you must reset to 1.2. If tenths of a second don't count for much, they why do we measure them?

I think that in a game where the last possession can win the game, an official knowingly not resetting the clock to it's proper value by rule, has done a disservice to the game, even if the official is the only one that knows.
Jug, if you can look at a clock that's ticking down and know whether it's at 2.2 or 2.1 at the exact moment that you look at it, then you're vision is a helluva a lot better than mine.

Plus, as Rich said, if it's greater than 1 second, then you have to reset it to what you thought you saw, 2.2, 2.1, whatever. If he doesn't stop it within 1 second, then it's a timing error. You ignore the lag time and rest to what you thought you saw.

That's why I'm not splitting hairs on .1. Besides that, can anyone here reset a clock to 2.2. I've yet to find a timer who can.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 12:45am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Plus, as Rich said, if it's greater than 1 second, then you have to reset it to what you thought you saw, 2.2, 2.1, whatever. If he doesn't stop it within 1 second, then it's a timing error. You ignore the lag time and rest to what you thought you saw.

That's why I'm not splitting hairs on .1. Besides that, can anyone here reset a clock to 2.2. I've yet to find a timer who can.
See above post. You are a timer, aren't you? I certainly am.

Quote:
Jug, if you can look at a clock that's ticking down and know whether it's at 2.2 or 2.1 at the exact moment that you look at it, then you're vision is a helluva a lot better than mine.
Since you asked, I actually can see what the exact tenths of a second is when I blow my whistle. Providing, of course, that tenths of a second are displayed.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

I'm speaking mechanically with regard to resetting the clock. i've yet to see a timer who could reset to exact tenths. I've emailed the company who manufactures most of the consoles in this area and asked them to send instructions, so I won't have the same problem I had a few weeks ago.

And as I said, I'm not going through all that for .1.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can reset it to 2.2. I have been doing a fair number of clocks this season (knee injury) and I've gotten pretty good at it -- no brag, just fact.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm speaking mechanically with regard to resetting the clock. i've yet to see a timer who could reset to exact tenths. I've emailed the company who manufactures most of the consoles in this area and asked them to send instructions, so I won't have the same problem I had a few weeks ago.

And as I said, I'm not going through all that for .1.
Just have them set it to 3.0 and start the clock .8 before the ball is touched on the court.

Seriously, even if the console can't be set to 2.2, you can set it to 3.0 and run it down. Use both thumbs on the switch (one on each side) and turn it on-off as quickly as possible. That's .1 or less each time -- do it 8 times (or so) in your example and put the ball in play.

I've used the procedure several times and never had a problem.