The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

As I posted on here, I had a problem with a coach about a week ago, and I had him again yesterday. Though I was worried about it, I took the advice I got here and my mission was to start with a clean slate. The whole game went smoothly, I got to work with a great partner, it was really a lot of fun. I think the coach was a little surprised when I treated him the same as the first game, but it worked. I found out after the game I was being evaluated, but that turned out really well too, though, I really need to remember to give preliminary signals. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Edited for spelling.

[Edited by SF on Feb 7th, 2005 at 12:08 AM]

Sara
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
As I posted on here, I had a problem with a coach about a week ago, and I had him again yesterday. Though I was worried about it, I took the advice I got here and my mission was to start with a clean slate. The whole game went smoothly, I got to work with a great partner, it was really a lot of fun. I think the coach was a little surprised when I treated him the same as the first game, but it worked. I found out after the game I was being evaluated, but that turned out really well too, though, I really need to remember to give preliminary signals. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Edited for spelling.

[Edited by SF on Feb 7th, 2005 at 12:08 AM]
What is preliminary signals? Good Job
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

After you pull your fist down from calling the foul you're supposed to indicate the nature of the foul with a preliminary signal. (hold, block, hand check, etc.)

Sara
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
After you pull your fist down from calling the foul you're supposed to indicate the nature of the foul with a preliminary signal. (hold, block, hand check, etc.)
Maybe in your world, but none of us do that around here. You'll find, after being in this awhile, that evaluators are pretty arbitary when it comes to things like this.

There are some places that worry about how well you call the games rather than bullcrap things like this.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
You will find that many officials and evaluators don't use nor require preliminary signals on every foul.

Block/charge, handcheck, or selling a push are the only ones I'll use regularly. I'm pretty vocal and do say what I have on the spot, but I don't give a preliminary every foul.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
Maybe in your world, but none of us do that around here. You'll find, after being in this awhile, that evaluators are pretty arbitary when it comes to things like this.

There are some places that worry about how well you call the games rather than bullcrap things like this.
If it isn't worried about in your area great. However, to call proper NFHS mechanics "bullcrap" is a bit strong. The NFHS officals manual states that it is imperative that a definite procedure be used when a foul is called and then lists the procedure. A preliminary signal is included in that procedure. You can't go wrong by doing it right.

Around here, we do it by the book. If you don't do the proper mechanics at our state tournaments (including preliminary signals), it's one possible reason for the state evaluators to "separate you" from the other excellent officials who are there.

Z
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Z,

The procedure might be proper, but not always required. I really only use a preliminary signal when I have to sell a call. On most shooting fouls where the basket goes in, I never seem to use a preliminary signal at all. It comes down to where you live and what is required by those around you.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Z,

The procedure might be proper, but not always required. I really only use a preliminary signal when I have to sell a call. On most shooting fouls where the basket goes in, I never seem to use a preliminary signal at all. It comes down to where you live and what is required by those around you.

Peace
Yep, that's pretty much what I said. Around here, it's encouraged and at our state tournament it's imperative. It's also great communication. I would still say that new officials should learn to do it right... and if they look at the NFHS officials manual, they will see that it isn't written as "optional."

Z
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
I really only use a preliminary signal when I have to sell a call
If your call is correct and you know 100% that it is correct(or you shouldn't be making it), then why do you have to "sell" it?

J/K
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Yep, that's pretty much what I said. Around here, it's encouraged and at our state tournament it's imperative. It's also great communication. I would still say that new officials should learn to do it right... and if they look at the NFHS officials manual, they will see that it isn't written as "optional."

Z
We are not at all saying the same thing. You are saying that the NF way is the only way and the right way. I am saying that the "right way" is based on where you live and what is required. That might be in conflict with what the NF wants. Again, the NF does not give playoff assignments. The NF does not run clinics in most areas if at all. Officiating is as much about philosophy as it is what the book says or does not say. I have yet to see an official call a player control foul and use the NF mechanic in all the playoff games I have watched. So I am sure giving a preliminary signal being used or not is not always going to be considered a big deal.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SF

Rich, I'm not sure why you're writing this off as bullcrap.

Apparently SHE did well enough in what could have been a tough situation that the only negative comment from HER evaluator is SHE should work on giving a preliminary. If an evaluator came into the locker room & told me he saw *nothing* I could improve on I would wonder just what the hell he bothered to watch me for. And if he told me I should think about giving a better prelim when blowing a foul I would damn sure work on giving a prelim when blowing a foul.

edit - oops...just realized the S in SF stands for Sara.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Feb 7th, 2005 at 12:35 PM]
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 01:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SF

Rich, I'm not sure why you're writing this off as bullcrap.

Apparently SHE did well enough in what could have been a tough situation that the only negative comment from HER evaluator is SHE should work on giving a preliminary. If an evaluator came into the locker room & told me he saw *nothing* I could improve on I would wonder just what the hell he bothered to watch me for. And if he told me I should think about giving a better prelim when blowing a foul I would damn sure work on giving a prelim when blowing a foul.

edit - oops...just realized the S in SF stands for Sara.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Feb 7th, 2005 at 12:35 PM]
Because it lacks substance.

I guarantee you that a good evaluator can find something in my game, your game, Sara's game that will help us be better officials. Get better position, looks at plays, help with judgment. If the "preliminary signal" comment was designed to keep Sara from rushing to the table, great. If it's just because she didn't give a hack signal on the spot of the foul, well, it's not a terribly useful comment, IMO.

The people on this thread that say you "can't go wrong" using the officials' manual are not entirely correct -- if my evaluators/association/assignors would rather use mechanics contrary to the manual, I'd better learn how to adapt. Fortunately, I don't have to worry too much about this as I don't receive assignments via assocations.

Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Rich, I'm still not getting this.

Sara's evaluator told her to do 'X'. You tell Sara the advice is bullcrap & you tell me it lacks substance. You have no idea why the evaluator said what he said, you have no idea what specifics he went into with Sara about what she needs to work on, but still it's bullcrap and lacks substance.

I'm not getting it.

Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
We are not at all saying the same thing. You are saying that the NF way is the only way and the right way. I am saying that the "right way" is based on where you live and what is required. That might be in conflict with what the NF wants. Again, the NF does not give playoff assignments. The NF does not run clinics in most areas if at all. Officiating is as much about philosophy as it is what the book says or does not say. I have yet to see an official call a player control foul and use the NF mechanic in all the playoff games I have watched. So I am sure giving a preliminary signal being used or not is not always going to be considered a big deal.

Peace
If you will read my post, you'll see that I said that if that's the way it works in Rich's area great. I'm sorry if you cannot either read or comprehend, but I am used to that from you. I didn't say it was the only way.

Proper high school mechanics during high school games are a big thing in my area. If Sara said she forgot her preliminary mechanic, it sounds as if prelim signals are important in her area too. Where I work, evaluators care about how the game is called and they also care very much about how the signals are communicated as well. Having the complete package is never a bad thing.

Z
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 02:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Rich, I'm still not getting this.

Sara's evaluator told her to do 'X'. You tell Sara the advice is bullcrap & you tell me it lacks substance. You have no idea why the evaluator said what he said, you have no idea what specifics he went into with Sara about what she needs to work on, but still it's bullcrap and lacks substance.

I'm not getting it.

I guess what I'm waiting for is Sara to come back on and tell us why the evaluator told her that the preliminary signals are important.

Dan, you are right -- I should've asked this first instead of just calling it bullcrap, but I'm just anticipating that the assignor told her this for no reason other than "it's in the book." To me, it's lazy evaluating.

Whenever I evaluate someone in baseball, I always explain WHY something is important. Because it's in the manual isn't a good enough answer, not in my book.

If the preliminary signal is important to keep Sara from rushing to the table, fine. If it's to communicate to her partner the nature of the foul (I'm not sure why this is important unless hacks, pushes and holds have different penalties) I can live with that, too.

Side question: When you folks that always signal preliminary signals signal on a made basket, do you raise your fist, score the basket, and then also give a prelim on the spot?

--Rich