The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:20am
MPLAHE

This situation seems to happen a fair amount at the 4th and 5th grade levels. A1 is dribbling in the front court and A2 trys to set a pick on B1, but does not remain stationary (i.e. moving screen) Coach goes ballistic, calling for a moving screen violation. If B1 does not make contact with A2, even though his path is impeded, my interpretation is there is nothing (no violation and W/O any contact, no foul). Am I correct??
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

No contact=no foul
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Agreed

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
No contact=no foul
Rule 4-39 (Screen) clearly delineates acceptable actions of the screener.

A "no call" in your example is a correct call. Good Job!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:29am
M.A.S.H.

Yep...what he said.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

I am amazed even here in Australia coaches and others seem to think that there is a moving screen violation.

Too cheap to buy a rule book. It is an excellent reason to have the rules available online then there is no excuse!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
Coach goes ballistic, calling for a moving screen violation.
Just for the record, if an illegal screen is set, and there is contact, it's a foul or nothing. it's never a violation. You probably already knew that, but I'm just clarifying, in case there are readers who aren't as familiar with the ins and outs as you and me. A word you might want to use in the future to refer to both fouls and violations together is "infractions".
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

What's even better is when they are screaming for a moving screen while you are calling a foul on their player for displacing the screener CAUSING them to move.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

And one more thing

Quote:
This situation seems to happen a fair amount at the 4th and 5th grade levels. A1 is dribbling in the front court and A2 trys to set a pick on B1, but does not remain stationary (i.e. moving screen) Coach goes ballistic, calling for a moving screen violation. If B1 does not make contact with A2, even though his path is impeded, my interpretation is there is nothing (no violation and W/O any contact, no foul). Am I correct??
The screener can move also, just not in the same path of the opponent. Like the pick and roll. Many times people want a moving screen called when the screener was just doing his job of picking and rolling to the hoop or another position on the floor.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: And one more thing

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
The screener can move also, just not in the same path of the opponent. Like the pick and roll. Many times people want a moving screen called when the screener was just doing his job of picking and rolling to the hoop or another position on the floor.

Thanks
David
I think you mean move into the path, and not same path.

The screener may move if they are moving in the same path, 3-39-6.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what is an illegal screen and am still a little unclear on this. When is a screen illegal? What determines this? For example, is it legal for a screener to "roll" into the path of a defender thereby assuming a "back" screen if this is done before contact is made?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Screens? When is it illegal?

Sorry for bumping this again, but it appeared no one was really addressing my questions in the previous reply. I'm wondering if a screen/roll is illegal when:

(1) screener is moving but in the same direction as the offensive player he's attempting to screen (no or minimal contact is made)

(2) screener rolls into the path of the offensive player he's attempting to screen "just" before contact is made thereby activating what might be termed a "back screen"

(3) A1 dribbles to a spot (e.g., elbow), picks up the ball, performs a legal pivot, and creates a "back screen" for A2 rubbing past his screen. B2 significantly contacts A1 by running into his back causing A1 to move his pivot foot.

Thanks for your help on these.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Illegal Screens? When is it illegal?

Quote:
Originally posted by Starman311
Sorry for bumping this again, but it appeared no one was really addressing my questions in the previous reply. I'm wondering if a screen/roll is illegal when:

(1) screener is moving but in the same direction as the offensive player he's attempting to screen (no or minimal contact is made)

(2) screener rolls into the path of the offensive player he's attempting to screen "just" before contact is made thereby activating what might be termed a "back screen"

(3) A1 dribbles to a spot (e.g., elbow), picks up the ball, performs a legal pivot, and creates a "back screen" for A2 rubbing past his screen. B2 significantly contacts A1 by running into his back causing A1 to move his pivot foot.

Thanks for your help on these.

If you subscribe to the paid side of this site, go back through last summer's articles and find the ones I (juulie downs) wrote on legal and illegal screens.

Otherwise, look in the rulebook under Screens in Rule 4, and under contact in rule 10-6. This will help you ask more specific questions that will be easier to answer.

in answer to your specifics above, 1) legal as long as no or little contact. 2) probably not legal, but it's going to depend on the speed both players are moving. Off ball, the screener must allow time for the screenee to stop or go around, but no more than two steps at the speed they are moving. (3) Again, it depends on the amount of time between the "backscreen" and the bump. If the screener (dribbler in this case) left enough time, then the screen is legal. If the movement of the foot was enough that you really ought to call it, then it should probably be a foul on the screenee who should have had time to stop. However, if the dribbler/screener didn't leave enough time, then it's an illegal screen, and a PC foul.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 39 SCREEN
ART. 1 . . . A screen is legal action by a player who, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.
ART. 2 . . . To establish a legal screening position:

a. The screener may face any direction.
b. Time and distance are relevant.
c. The screener must be stationary, except when both are moving in the same path and the same direction.

ART. 3 . . . When screening a stationary opponent from the front or side, the

screener may be anywhere short of contact.

ART. 4 . . . When screening a stationary opponent from behind, the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.

ART. 5 . . . When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact. The distance need not be more than two strides.

ART. 6 . . . When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener is moving, the opponent is responsible for contact if the screener slows up or stops.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Come on Call the Illegal Screen

Had this one last night--
White has ball W1 is dribbling around by 3-pt line at FT line extended; W50 is at elbow calling for ball and sliding down FT lane [outside lane so not in 3-sec area]and then back up again towards FT line; Blue defender on W50 is playing behind W50 and just plain can't get around her to deny the entry pass--
Blue Coach keeps yelling to call that moving screen "she can't move like that and 'hold' the defender off" I keep watching and see no movement on W50's part to "hold" defender, defender is just plain not working hard enough and is too slow to get around and get a hand in passing lane to deny the entry pass--
I had a good play on part of W50 and poor defense on W50's defender, W50 was using her body to "block/screen" defender from getting hand in passing lane to deny pass. We were not going to "reward" Blue 'cause they can't move quick enough, but will allow W50 to continue to "call for the ball--

Moral of story -- Coach
1]read rule about screening;
2]teach W50's defender how to get good position to deny entry pass;
3]teach help defense to other players to make sure Blue can deny entry pass
4]teach your post play the same technique to use at the other end of the floor when you're on offense.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Moving screen, half the time the kids don't know how to line up for a foul shot.