Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnnyrao
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
. After the T he called a TO and told his book keeper to make sure our names were in his book and told me he was reporting us to the state office.
[Edited by johnnyrao on Feb 8th, 2005 at 07:56 AM]
The only thing I have done in this situation is to make sure the book has spelled my name correctly. Also to make sure both books match and then I initialed them after the game. That way if one book came up differently later I would know they have been altered.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao

I appreciate everyone's response. Actually, after, it was weird. After the T he called a TO and told his book keeper to make sure our names were in his book and told me he was reporting us to the state office. Other than calling TOs he never said another word.
[Edited by johnnyrao on Feb 8th, 2005 at 07:56 AM]
He wouldn't have been able to say another word to me during the game. This is probably one of my few automatic T's. Iowa has a ratings system where coaches and officials rate each other for each varsity game, and the state association has stated explicitly that any threats regarding ratings warrant an automatic T. I take that to mean any threats of reporting me to anyone (state, assignor, commissioner, new york times, etc) will be the same. He would have been done.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
"Given the game situation, Coach, I didn't want to embarass your player. Are you trying to embarass me?"
Good answer.
Thanks. Unfortunately, it took me a good 15 minutes to come up with it.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"Given the game situation, Coach, I didn't want to embarass your player. Are you trying to embarass me?"
Good answer.
There is a Seinfeld episode that applies, just take a big plate of shrimp with you the next time you do a game at that school.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good answer.
You could have sent him a letter the next day.

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

There is a Seinfeld episode that applies, just take a big plate of shrimp with you the next time you do a game at that school.
Yeah, he is kinda slow-witted, but that is no reason at all to bring Chuck's size into the discussion!

Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally posted by stick
That coach is a plain jack a$$ in my book. I think he was looking for a T just to get attention to himself. I kind of like what blindzebra elluded to above. IMO if this coach wants to act that way then he's going to stay and experience this a$$ whopping unless he does the obvious to get tossed. If they're down 35 with little time left and they start deliberately fouling I'm not sure if I'd call fouls or not. I'd likely tell the coach to have his players back off or the game may end early.
You can't be serious. Your job is to call the game and protect the kids. Go ahead and call intentional fouls if you must, but those end-of-game fouls are typically the kind that can end up hurting someone if you don't keep it under control.
True. Your right, I wouldn't let it get out of hand. I should have been more specific in saying I wouldn't call the touch fouls. If a defender reaches for a dribbler, makes contact but the dribbler gets by him, I'm not going to call it. If he reaches and holds him then of course I'd call it--intentional.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good answer.
Chuck,

Thanks. I need to write this stuff down so I can remember it in the future. I think my biggest problem was I did not know what to say to him.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Was the conversation about the violation between the two of you? If so, try to calm him down. Remind him that you are trying your best and that doesn't guarantee a perfectly called game. NO violation & NO T! He is testing your resolve! That's all!

If he is acting like a jacka$$ on the sideline...and ranting & raving, then definite T...and the next one might come a little faster if he wanted to persist.

If I heard his comments about "...reporting these guys to the state association...", then he's probably gone! I don't know how the game looked to him. Maybe you missed some calls...maybe you didn't carry on enough small talk with him during the game to keep his views in perspective. The small things are almost MORE important to take care of in a one-sided game.

Had you found a way to handle it differently, maybe nothing would have happened...and no T.
Indy,

I agree but at the moment I couldn't think of a better way to handle it. Thanks to advice from here and experience I can deal with it better next time. In answer to your question he was about 15 feet away from me. I was near the scorer's table and he was in his coaching box. The stands are only on one side of the court so the exchange was between me, him, a couple of his players, and the scorer's table. I think he wanted his scorekeeper to hear it. Not sure if the other coach heard it or not though. Thanks for the input.